KARI FireFly

walter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I am interested in relationship (if any) between these projects/aircraft.
The Firefly was, I understand, started as project in Rep. of Korea by Shin Young Heavy Industries and seems at least 2 prototypes were built and flown. The Firefly was largely based on the Velocity, but had new design wings with twin fins (on short booms extending from the wing t/e) instead of winglets. Reporedly at least one aircraft went to US and this is probably N2059U which was registered to A&B Leasing and registration was x-celled Sept. 2004. The Firefly had a fixed tri-gear
The Phoenix by Freedom Aviation had twin fins and winglets and was almost certainly slightly larger then the Velocity/Firefly. It was in 2007 advertised as the Phoenix with registration N11PX and unlike the Firefly had a retractable gear. The same N11PX registration is now reported for the Orion (Orion GT?) as design of Mr. Jeff Kerlo and suitable for piston, turbine and small (twin) fan jets.
Where can I find the exit in the labyrinth?

Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites worked circa 1996 on a piston twin project for a private Korean customer called the Model 254 Songbird. I have no idea if this unbuilt project was related in any way to the later Firefly but it sure would add even more to the puzzle!

Hi Stéphane,
I donot think the Firebird is related to the Songbird project (except the Korean connection)
This is the Firebird and the Velocity ancestry is evident.

Attachments

• Shin Young Firefly.jpg
    Shin Young Firefly.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 613
Ah, now I remember. I have files on the Firefly. They are actually filed under "Velocity" for lack of a better place...

Here are some pics of the FireFly:

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1IMG_2194.jpg
    1IMG_2194.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 498
Some more pics, this time of the fixed-gear FireFly:

Attachments

• McLeod-Firefly-0104d.jpg
    McLeod-Firefly-0104d.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 32
  • McLeod-Firefly-0104c.jpg
    McLeod-Firefly-0104c.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 800px-Firefly2.jpg
    800px-Firefly2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Firefly4.jpg
    Firefly4.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Firefly3.jpg
    Firefly3.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Stéphane for the very nice pics :)
Still figuring out the HLEBD registration (I thought S.Korea used HL12345 etc.) and noted that your Firefly FG has the US registration.
Seems prototypes were built/flown in S.Korea (at least the Firefly RG) and that business plans for marketing in USA (N2059U which reg. was canceled in 2004) fell through.
Thanks again

After researching the subject for several hours, I'm now able to offer some consistent information on the FireFly:

The FireFly was an attempt at providing an aircraft for the nascent general aviation market in South Korea. It was developed from 1997 to 2002 by the KARI (Korea Aerospace Research Institute), South Korea's equivalent of NASA founded in 1989. Despite claims by some Korean sources that it was "developed by pure domestic technology" it is a very unique version of the American Velocity (itself a spin-off of the famous Rutan Long-EZ) built by as a design study out of several kits. The prototype FireFly first flew on 21 September 2001 and successfully passed it airworthiness tests on 17 June 2002. The aircraft was exhibited at Oshkosh in 2002 and received a favorable welcome there.

Production and sales of the FireFly was to be done by Shin Heavy Industries and supported by the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy as part of the so-called "four-seat aft airfoil export aircraft development program".

The round-the-world trip

Adventure pilot Gus McLeod, who had made history in 2000 for being the first to fly an open-cockpit biplane to the North Pole, now wanted to attempt a round-the-world flight across the North and South poles and back. Impressed with the FireFly he approached KARI with the project. An agreement was reached and the #1 aircraft was leased to McLeod for modifications in the US (see list further below). In October 2003, the 49-year-old pilot made his project public. On 21 January 2004 he departed from Sebastian Airport, Florida, aboard FireFly#1 (sporting the registration N2059U), for his first round-the-world attempt.

McLeod flew across the west coast of South America, Ushuaia in Argentina then reached the South Pole. However, due to deteriorating weather conditions in Antarctica, he had to make two forced landings on the ice of Antarctica and another on a farmer’s field in Argentina. McLeod had to go back to the United States until he could try again. The aircraft was soon presented at Sun 'N Fun Air Show in April and then again at Oshkosh in August, now sporting the registration N90NS.

Gus McLeod made three more attempts that stopped at the South Pole—one of which nearly ended fatally as his fuel had been contaminated with lacquer in some sabotage attempt. Although he failed to reach his goal, he flew 56,000 km in two months, which was a remarkable record. McLeod became something of a celebrity in South Korea at the time, and held lectures to inspire and challenge young people to dream and develop an interest in aviation. All the while he never stopped planning another flight, and with the tentative date of January 2008 in mind he tried to get the Korean team to improve the FireFly design by increasing lifting power.

There was no further attempt however. The #1 aircraft was shipped back to Korea and is currently exhibited in a museum (still as N90NS).

Further FireFly development

On the South Korean front, with all the publicity gained from McLeod's epic exploits, expectations for FireFly exports were high. Potential customers expressed interest, notably in the United States and Saudi Arabia, but also in Turkey, Angola, Malaysia and Brunei. Planned uses of the FireFly ranged from strictly recreational to civilian or Air Force student training, and even pesticide spraying!

Shin Heavy Industries and Proxy Aviation entered into an agreement in 2006 for export to the US. The #2 FireFly airframe was shipped to the United States in August, reassembled locally in September and registered as N95PX. The main difference from the first aircraft was the retractable landing gear. Flight testswere successfully completed on 31 October (NOTE: This aircraft is still on the register as the "Proxy Aviation Systems FireFly" and serves as an optionally piloted drone).

Negociations with Proxy Aviation for additional exports foresaw 12 aircraft to be delivered in the next two years, and a total of 60 additional export contracts expected to be available. However, only two more aircraft were assembled by Proxy, N50PX (c/n #3) and N60PX (c/n #4). Apparently the FireFly fell victim to a government ban on the exports of locally produced finished products.

A further example of the FireFly was produced in South Korea. It has a retractable landing gear and can be recognized by the non-standard registration HLEBD which he sports on its flanks. It was exhibited on the KAI stand at Seoul's ADEX 2011 which would seem to indicate that the program is still alive.

Specifications

Maximum takeoff weight: 1,225 kg, including passengers and the pilot (up to four people)
Fuselage length: 6.6 m
Fuselage width: 1.2 m
Height: 1,1 m
Overall width (wingspan): 10.4 m

Performance

Maximum speed: 330 km/h
Cruising speed: 280-300 km/h (with 225 liters of fuel)
Minimum speed: 110 km/h
Cruising altitude: 2.4 km
Climb rate: 6.5 m per second
Take-off run: 400 m
Fuel capacity: 200 liters
Range: 1,800-1,850 km

Modifications for the round-the-world flight

The following modification work was performed locally in the U.S. by Polar Explorer Inc.:
  • Mounting of additional fuel tanks
  • Tyre replacement due to structural safety review and additional take-off weight
  • Additional tests on stability and flight control due to weight gain
  • Adaptation of the airframe to extreme temperatures
  • Engine supercooling-prevention device
  • Reinforcement of electrical and electronic equipment
  • Installation of system to maintain internal cabin temperature
  • Installation of navigation equipment for long-haul flight, a camera and a fixation for a computer
  • Installation of survival equipment such as an oxygen tank for high-altitude flight and marine distress
The modified FireFly offered approximately 1,200 liters of fuel capacity, which increased its range to 8,700 km.

The FireFly's cockpit was conceived to be wider than most comfortable aircraft in its class. Access to cabin is made easy by doors on both sides of the fuselage, opening upwards.

The first FireFly as it appeared in the U.S. Register:

N90NS
Manufacturer: Polar Explorer Inc.
Model: FireFly
Owner: Polar Explorer Inc., Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Year built: 2004
Construction Number (C/N): 001
Number of Seats: 4
Number of Engines: 1
Engine Manufacturer and Model: Lycoming IO-540 SER
Certification Class: Experimental
Airworthiness Test: 2004-07-21
Certification Issued: 2004-11-24
Last Action Taken: 2007-11-20

Some links:Some more links (in Korean!):

Attachments

• mcleod.jpg
    mcleod.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2005040611127785640.82962100.jpg
    2005040611127785640.82962100.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 2005040411125757140.49340000.jpg
    2005040411125757140.49340000.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 12.gif
    12.gif
    45 KB · Views: 20
  • Mcleod-gus-polartrip-1203-1a.jpg
    Mcleod-gus-polartrip-1203-1a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 22
  • ban01.jpg
    ban01.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Two pics of FireFly #1 with no markings
  • Two pics of FireFly #1 as N90NS in Korean museum
  • Two pics of N95PX (FireFly #2)
  • Two pics of N50PX (FireFly #3)

Attachments

• 532631.jpg
    532631.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2006_1104_Firefly_11.jpg
    2006_1104_Firefly_11.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 2006_1104_Firefly_10.jpg
    2006_1104_Firefly_10.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 32
  • SDC11637.JPG
    SDC11637.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 33
  • %B0%FA%C3%B5%B0%FA%C7%D0%B0%FC2011.6_%28159%29%28800x533%29.jpg
    %B0%FA%C3%B5%B0%FA%C7%D0%B0%FC2011.6_%28159%29%28800x533%29.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20110903_1029881612.jpg
    20110903_1029881612.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 37
  • %B9%DD%B5%F0%C8%A3%204_1.jpg
    %B9%DD%B5%F0%C8%A3%204_1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 5604138668_e83cc7fc8c_b.jpg
    5604138668_e83cc7fc8c_b.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 41
walter said:
The Firefly was, I understand, started as project in Rep. of Korea by Shin Young Heavy Industries and seems at least 2 prototypes were built and flown. The Firefly was largely based on the Velocity, but had new design wings with twin fins (on short booms extending from the wing t/e) instead of winglets. Reporedly at least one aircraft went to US and this is probably N2059U which was registered to A&B Leasing and registration was x-celled Sept. 2004. The Firefly had a fixed tri-gear
The Phoenix by Freedom Aviation had twin fins and winglets and was almost certainly slightly larger then the Velocity/Firefly. It was in 2007 advertised as the Phoenix with registration N11PX and unlike the Firefly had a retractable gear. The same N11PX registration is now reported for the Orion (Orion GT?) as design of Mr. Jeff Kerlo and suitable for piston, turbine and small (twin) fan jets.

To go back to the original question, I can't see why you are trying to establish a connection between the FireFly and the Phoenix/Orion. Surely the fact that they are both based on a Long-EZ-type design is not enough... I can give you a list of a about two dozen aircraft that could qualify for comparison then!

This is an awesome thread.

walter said:

To go back to the original question, I can't see why you are trying to establish a connection between the FireFly and the Phoenix/Orion. Surely the fact that they are both based on a Long-EZ-type design is not enough... I can give you a list of a about two dozen aircraft that could qualify for comparison then!

Dear Stargazer,
Could you please post the list of airframes you mentioned that could qualify for comparison? (I ask more for research purposes and Encyclopedia knowledge than anything else.)

Having started off looking at the Long-EZ type design to buy, and then reflected how it would be so much better if it was larger and more refined…. Which then led me to research further and discovering others of like mind who have done just that…..