Kamov Ka-50 / Ka-52 Hokum Family Thread

yasotay

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It seems the Ka-52 series is going back to Kamov's roots.

http://www.newsbcm.com/doc/999

While it does not strike me as a great 'coast guard' helicopter, it would be a wonderful 'pirate guard' helicopter. Of course a couple of those in the US Coast Guard, might make the fast boat challenge in the Gulf of Mexico slightly less problematic. :)

Maybe a cluster munitions dispenser or a ferry pod? Alternatively, flateric suggested that it may be an instrument pod.

Attachments

• 95001527.jpg
    95001527.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 1,059
  • chemodan.jpg
    chemodan.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 839
Yes, an instrument pod - but what instruments?

P.S.
The instrument pod is on the port pylon, I was asking about the 6x launcher on the starboard ;) :D
I don't recognise it! In the old days we would have said "Igla" - but we were easier back then and everything was an Igla...

Avimimus said:
Yes, an instrument pod - but what instruments?
test data recording equipment, etc.
Avimimus said:
The instrument pod is on the port pylon, I was asking about the 6x launcher on the starboard
new 9M120-1 Ataka's with combined guidance I guess

.....The major difference will be the radar: A modified version of the Mig-35 fighter's Zhuk-A phased array radar is currently being developped to fit into the Ka-52K nose cone. This will be a major step forward compared to the base Ka-52 helicopter as the AESA radar Zhuk-A is among the most advanced radars to date in Russia. The radar is stated to provide a detection range of 130 km for a head on target with up to 30 targets tracked and 6 of those engaged at any one time.

Ka-52K will also feature folding rotor blades, folding wings and anti-corrosion treatment to fuselage and systems which is a necessity for any helicopter set to operate from a ship.....

.....Each Mistral landing ship is set to receive at least eight Ka-52K attack helicopters making the vessel a potent tool in terms of power projection at sea.

There is no need for a new topic so I will put it here. Despite all my efforts, it was kind of mission impossible to make a good photos during the strongest rain that day.

Attachments

• Ka-52_08.jpg
    Ka-52_08.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 144
  • Ka-52_07.jpg
    Ka-52_07.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Ka-52_06.jpg
    Ka-52_06.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Ka-52_05.jpg
    Ka-52_05.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Ka-52_04.jpg
    Ka-52_04.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Ka-52_03.jpg
    Ka-52_03.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 524
  • Ka-52_02.jpg
    Ka-52_02.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 563
  • Ka-52_01.jpg
    Ka-52_01.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 586

Attachments

• Ka-52_16.jpg
    Ka-52_16.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Ka-52_15.jpg
    Ka-52_15.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Ka-52_14.jpg
    Ka-52_14.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Ka-52_13.jpg
    Ka-52_13.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Ka-52_12.jpg
    Ka-52_12.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Ka-52_11.jpg
    Ka-52_11.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Ka-52_10.jpg
    Ka-52_10.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Ka-52_09.jpg
    Ka-52_09.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 138
Perhaps you ought to mention that these were taken at Le Bourget 2013? Of course right now we all know about this, but when the topic will get visited in future years, the information will not be available!

Your pics are just excellent, especially considering the very foul conditions imposed upon you by the weather!

What still amazes me, is the fact, that for this (really beautiful) aircraft side-by-side seating was chosen,
instead of the "standard" tandem seating, giving a small frontal silhouette and shaping more or less all
other attack helicopters, since the Huey Cobra. And Kamov already offered such an aircraft, too, in the form
of the KA-50-2 Erdogan. But so it should be easier to extend the fuselage, add a cabin and carry some soldiers
then, as a true successor to the Mi-24. ;)

Well, it's not bad for a "Sea Hind" or "Salt Water Crocodile". ;D

It would have been better had the drawing included the weapons capability of either the 29TB or the 52K.

Maritime Ka-52K attack helicopter makes debut flight.

Adapted from the Ka-52 “Alligator” for deployment aboard the Russian navy’s future Mistral-class amphibious assault ships – two of which are being acquired from France – the new variant features folding rotors and folding stub wings.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/maritime-ka-52k-attack-helicopter-makes-debut-flight-410017/

Re: KA-52K IN 2015

Close-up pictures of the first KA-52K (S/N: 35382001001) shown at two events in June 2015. B)

Links (Russian):
http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1345580.html
http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1358713.html
Please notice at the second link, how the rotor blades and the stubbed wings can be stowed away, when the helicopter is aboard a ship.
Edit:
It also has only four weapon stations instead of six.

The Ka-52K marinised combat helicopter. (Dmitry Fediushko).jpg

Rostec's Russian Helicopters detailed its newest Kamov Ka-52K Katran, the first Russian shipborne helicopter, during an 11 June presentation.

The Ka-52K has a maximum take-off weight of 12,200 kg, being heavier by around 1,400 kg compared with the Ka-52 due to a more robust ‘marinised' structure, the company said.

It carries a payload of 2,000 kg, or 500 kg less than the baseline rotorcraft. The Ka-52K is 13,900 mm long, 6,303 mm wide, and 5,100 mm high. The diameter of its co-axial main rotor reaches 14,500 mm.

Powered by two Klimov VK-2500/VK-2500P turboshaft engines with a power output of 2,500 hp each, the helicopter provides a top speed of 290 kmph, a cruise speed of 250 kmph, and a top climbing rate of 14 m/s. The Ka-52K also has a static ceiling of 3,600 m and a dynamic ceiling of 5,200 m. The rotorcraft can withstand a short-time overload of up to 2.5 g, according to Russian Helicopters.

Unlike the Ka-52 Hokum-B, the Ka-52K is fitted with two folding stub wings with two hardpoints for various weapons. Its co-axial main rotor has two propellers with three folding blades; it also carries a short-range radio-technical navigation system. The rotorcraft's electronic protection is provided by the President-S system.

The Ka-52Ks are armed with a Shipunov 2A42-1 30 mm automatic cannon with an ammunition load of 460 rounds. The platform can carry up to 80 S-8-family rockets in four 20-cell pods. The helicopter's guided missile armament comprises up to 12 9M120-1/9M120-1F Ataka AT-9 Spiral-2 or up to 12 9A-4172K Vikhr-1 AT-16 Scallion weapons. The missiles are mounted in two six-cell vertical (Ataka) or horizontal (Vikhr-1) pods.

ka52k 01.jpg ka52k 02.jpg ka52k 03.jpg ka52k 04.jpg ka52k 05.jpg ka52k 06.jpg ka52k 07.jpg ka52k 08.jpg

Last edited:
Well if your the Russian Navy, having your purpose built attack helicopter built by Kamov seems logical. Having had opportunity to see Ka-50 many years ago, I can only imagine it is greatly improved over what I considered a solid combat helicopter.

Well if your the Russian Navy, having your purpose built attack helicopter built by Kamov seems logical. Having had opportunity to see Ka-50 many years ago, I can only imagine it is greatly improved over what I considered a solid combat helicopter.
same, if had to choose between the Mi-28, I would lean towards the Kamov.
while I understand that Russia ordered both, more as a jobs thing..
I dont think most other air forces need to by both no?

I know the Kamov had some Syrian combat experiences
how about the Mi-28?

3d650b482c8f76bc5699dfb4f11453eb.jpg

Dp8jc3UWsAYeJs3.jpg

They are heavily testing both Ka-52 and Mi-28 in Syria. sensor and weapons.
New Atgm are a huge priority.
Imagine if they now can "click" armoured targets from 9-11km range.

same, if had to choose between the Mi-28, I would lean towards the Kamov.
while I understand that Russia ordered both, more as a jobs thing..
I dont think most other air forces need to by both no?

I know the Kamov had some Syrian combat experiences
how about the Mi-28?
Well technically, they bought 3 types en-masse- Mi-28, Ka-52 and Mi-35M, though you could argue the latter has an assault role as well.

Plan in the late 2000s was to buy Mi-28N for general attack use and Ka-52 for "special operations" whatever that means, but eventually they ended up actually purchasing more Ka-52s. Looks like the trend will continue with Ka-52M and Mi-28NM.
Might be because Kamov was nearly a decade ahead on both radar suite and DIRCM on their helo, among other things. Tor optical turret looked poverty tier compared to Kamov's GOES in Syria.

I see. and yeah it looks doubtful.

Considering that it seems China wants to reduce dependency on imported stuff.

That's kinda surprising.. Like what's preventing China from navalizing their own Z-10 ?
Weight fraction for the navalization of the airframe and electrical systems. Redesign of the rotor system for folding (also adds weight). So while it is possible the Z-10 could be navalized the weapon load and aircraft performance could possibly take a significant hit. All of that is already factored into Ka-52K I would assume. Still has a good and varied payload.

That's kinda surprising.. Like what's preventing China from navalizing their own Z-10 ?
Nothing. But a smaller helicopter may not be as effective over the sea, where combat radius is usually required to be bigger than over ground.

Furthermore, if china is indeed developing a larger attack helicopter (like some rumors suggest) then putting money into developing a navalized z10 may not make sense, in so much that it would also be an interim solution. Just like purchase of ka52k are in a sense an interim solution before chinese own heavy choppers are ready.

I've no doubt that, price wise, 36 ka52k would be cheaper than developing new z10 variant and making 36 of those.

Bigger helicopter with more lift might so be more useful for sea control missions, using antiship missiles. While everyone assumes those 075 would *exclusively* be used as assault platforms, we in fact don't know if a smaller part of their mission set might include other stuff.

It's nothing serious. Just everyday rumors. There were some in the Fall of 2020 and in early 2021 over at SDF forum, with some people copy pasting some Chinese social media posts about possible developments in the future. Could very well pure conjecture.
The only reason I brought it up is that the author of the book on PLA aviation (Harpia Publishing) wrote at one point something along the lines of him believing some similar rumors. Now, does he have more info or is he basing that on the same SDF posts - I've no idea.

Certainly, the idea itself is not without some merit. Now that China has mastered decent turboshafts, used on Z-20 helicopter, which is a 10 ton MTOW helicopter, it's not implausible that it desires to upgrade from the Z-10, which is a 6000 kg MTOW helicopter (as per Avic). While a big first step for China Z-10 might be, it's still in the class of Tiger, weight wise, and far from a true heavy like the Apache or Mi-28.

What I found sad is their need to overly their target each time they decide to attack just like an antic IL-2.
They overfly to distract enemy fire from Mi-24 and Mi-8, since Ka-52 has better armor and DIRCM. There is an interview with a pilot of this Ka-52. From the pilot's words, this particular chooper's MAWS detected 18 MANPAD launches during this combat.

Last edited:
18 MANPAD

Good God.. those will easily saturates the DIRCM and exhaust the flare dispensers. tho fortunately he managed to come back to fight another day.

Guess KA-52's proving itself well.

Back
Top Bottom