K9 Thunder is korean bestseller

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
B786%20%281%29.jpg

According to information published by the South Korean Yonhap News Agency on February 1, 2022, South Korea signed a contract to sell K9 155mm tracked self-propelled howitzers to Egypt in a deal worth over US$1.65 billion

Citing the information from the South Korean Press agency Yonhap News Agency, the South Korean company Hanwha Defense, and Egypt's defense ministry inked the largest K9 export deal in the Artillery House, a military facility in Cairo. The deal includes the production of K9s in Egypt and a technology transfer, according to the South Korean Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA).

On January 21, 2022, Army Recognition has reported that South Korea and Egypt were on the final stage to conclude the acquisition of K9 Thunder 155mm tracked self-propelled howitzers.

With this contract, Egypt will be the first customer in the Middle East that will use the K9 155mm self-propelled howitzer. The South Korean K9 becomes one of the most popular tracked self-propelled howitzer in service with many countries over the world including Turkey, Poland, India, Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Australia. Currently, more than 1,700 K9 Thunder variants are in service.

The K9 nicknamed Thunder is a 155mm 52 caliber self-propelled howitzer fully designed and developed in South Korea by the company Hanwha Techwin, formerly known as Samsung Techwin. The first contract for the K9 artillery system was awarded to Samsung Aerospace Industries on 22 December 1998. The first howitzer was rolled out on 17 December 1999 and was fielded to the Republic of Korea Marine Corps in Yeonpyeongdo.

The K9 is based on a tracked chassis armored vehicle with a turret mounted at the rear of the hull. It has a crew of five including a driver seated at the front left side of the hull and four in the turret consisting of commander, gunner, assistant gunner, and ammunition loader.

The hull and the turret of the K9 are of all-welded steel armor construction providing protection against firing of small arms 14.5 mm armor-piercing rounds, explosion pressure and fragments of 155 mm HE (High Explosive) rounds and anti-personnel mines all around. The vehicle is motorized with an MTU MT 881 Ka-500 8-cylinder water-cooled diesel engine developing 1,000 hp. coupled to the Allison ATDX1100-5A3 transmission. It can run at a maximum road speed of 67 km/h with a maximum cruising range of 360 km.

The main armament of the K9 consists of one CN98 155 mm 52 caliber artillery gun manufactured by Kia Heavy Industry and has a maximum firing range of 40 km using K307 base bleed ammunition.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
These look like M-109 clones, doubtless there is more to it than that. I am surprised that these fire support guns refer to a barrel length of L52 when the G Bull research suggested L55 was more efficient. I may be out of date though.

TomS

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
These look like M-109 clones, doubtless there is more to it than that. I am surprised that these fire support guns refer to a barrel length of L52 when the G Bull research suggested L55 was more efficient. I may be out of date though.

Can't speak to Bull's designs, but they are probably different from the NATO Joint Ballistics Memorandum of Understanding. The NATO JBMOU standard barrel lengths seem to be L39, L45, and L52 -- almost all modern 155mm guns are one of these lengths. The US Army is going a step further to L58 and Germany is proposing an L60.

Edit: The general configuration of K9 is obviously similar to the M109, but it's longer, wider, and heavier with substantially more engine power. Not quite a big as PzH2000, but close.

Last edited:

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score

Can't speak to Bull's designs, but they are probably different from the NATO Joint Ballistics Memorandum of Understanding. The NATO JBMOU standard barrel lengths seem to be L39, L45, and L52 -- almost all modern 155mm guns are one of these lengths. The US Army is going a step further to L58 and Germany is proposing an L60.

Edit: The general configuration of K9 is obviously similar to the M109, but it's longer, wider, and heavier with substantially more engine power. Not quite a big as PzH2000, but close.
Crusader's barrel was an L56 I believe. I'd love to read how they decided on that specific length for the AFAS project.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
The AS9 variant ordered by Australia under Land 8116 Ph1 is the most advanced version of the K9 family:

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

donnage99

"Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
Reaction score
they fill that sweet spot of having 80% capability of PzH 2000 while being half the price

TomS

Reaction score

They'd better get a move on. I just read that the UK is selling AS90s to Ukraine.

donnage99

"Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
Reaction score

They'd better get a move on. I just read that the UK is selling AS90s to Ukraine.
that turned out to be incorrect reporting

TomS

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. It's getting hard to keep track of the stuff going to Ukraine. (Which may well be the point.)

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com