JUNKERS G.38 pre-WW2 mini-mystery.....

xylstra

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Anyone solve the mystery?? Why, oh why did the JUNKERS G.38 4-engined prototype test-fly with a four-bladed propeller, inboard and a two-bladed propeller, outboard on each wing? All four driving engines were identical. Might this have caused any power imbalance/handling or thrust deficit issues? What was the direction of propeller rotation? Was anything useful learnt from this?
It - and its sibling - were all ultimately equipped with four-bladed propellers on all four engines. "Strange, eh?"
download.jpg

Not much of a riddle, I'm afraid. The first prototype, the Junkers G38a (D-2000) actually differed considerably
from the other ones, especially with regards to engine types in the inner nacelles ( Junkers L 88a, 775 hp)
and in the outer ones (Junkers L 8a, 325 hp).
Later aircraft got four Junkers L88, 800 hp, Diesel engines.
Sources for that are Wolfgang Wagner "Hugo Junkers, Pionier der Luftfahrt" and Waffenarsenal volume 80, "Die
Grossen Dessauer"

Not much of a riddle, I'm afraid. The first prototype, the Junkers G38a (D-2000) actually differed considerably
from the other ones, especially with regards to engine types in the inner nacelles ( Junkers L 88a, 775 hp)
and in the outer ones (Junkers L 8a, 325 hp).
Later aircraft got four Junkers L88, 800 hp, Diesel engines.
Sources for that are Wolfgang Wagner "Hugo Junkers, Pionier der Luftfahrt" and Waffenarsenal volume 80, "Die
Grossen Dessauer"
A mystery no more!