127.9 KB · Views: 792
  • gachar22ddh.jpg
    gachar22ddh.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 832
  • 22ddh.jpg
    22ddh.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 892
Japan to Build New Helicopter Carrier

Japan plans to build a 19,500-ton aircraft carrier capable of housing helicopters after China launched its first own aircraft carrier, Chinese media reported on Wednesday. Japan already has two helicopter carriers -- the Hyuga deployed in March 2009 and the Ise deployed in March 2011 -- but the planned new vessel will be bigger.

The 22DDH is scheduled for deployment in 2015. It will be 248 m long and cost around US$1.04 billion. It is 30 percent bigger than the Ise and can carry 14 helicopters. The Ise measures 197 m, has a displacement of 13,500 tons and can carry 11 helicopters.

Although dwarfed by China's aircraft carrier, which is 320 m long and can carry 50 fighter jets, the Japanese vessel will be equipped with the latest U.S. weapons systems to maximize its capability. It will be equipped with the Raytheon air and missile defense system, which has so far only been installed on U.S. vessels, and 11 missile launchers.

Japan had several aircraft carriers during World War II, but since its defeat it has focused on developing helicopter carriers, which are deemed purely defensive. It appears to be bolstering defenses to counter China's increasing submarine warfare capabilities. The new carrier will house mainly helicopters designed for anti-submarine warfare operations.

There are increasing calls within Japan to modify the 22DDH for fighter jets. But critics say it would be unrealistic to build such an aircraft carrier since its navy has only 45,000 personnel, and the already indebted government would run deeper into debt.

Chinese media speculated that Japan could buy Lookheed Martin F-35B stealth fighters capable of vertical takeoff and landing and base them on the new carrier.

Japan is also speeding up the development of stealth fighters and drones. Since 2009, it has invested 39 billion yen (around W562.2 billion) on development of an indigenous stealth fighter codenamed ATD-X. A prototype is expected to be unveiled in 2014, and development is to be complete in 2016.

Japan's Defense Ministry is also spending 15 billion yen this year on developing drones and robots. One unmanned helicopter has already been deployed with the Self-Defense Forces, while four prototype drones have been developed.

Source:

Size comparison chart of JMSDF 22DDH and other aircraft carriers.

Source:
http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/worldwideaircraftcarriers/22ddh-12.jpg

Attachments

• 22ddh-12.jpg
    22ddh-12.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 399
Artist's impressions of JMSDF 22DDH.

Source:

Attachments

• 0_4dae0_b9e93ee2_XL.jpg
    0_4dae0_b9e93ee2_XL.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 0_4dae2_b51e37e5_XL.jpg
    0_4dae2_b51e37e5_XL.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 0_4dae1_db4bb42a_XL.jpg
    0_4dae1_db4bb42a_XL.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 211
  • 0_4dadf_768d780b_XL.jpg
    0_4dadf_768d780b_XL.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 06_11.jpg
    06_11.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 0_4dae5_b8f9386_XL.jpg
    0_4dae5_b8f9386_XL.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 235
The 22DDH can trace it's origins all the way back to the JMSDF's "CVH-a" concept of the 1960's. Some interesting background on it here, as well as on the "CVH-b" concept which one could say is the ancestor of the Hyūga class DDHs.

I've noticed in the drawings that the island appears to be the same size, especially the stacks. Are they keeping the same machinery as the Hyuga's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Michel Van said:
A destroyer ?!

Kiev-class vessels were "ASW-cruisers" in Soviet parlance to circumvent the Montreux treaty,
here it probably is to prevent dissents in the Japanese parlament. Such designations often were
(and are) nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Not to say they didn't give hints about this earlier...

Osumi Class Tank Landing Ship

...they probably had a very good reason for not running the flight deck all the way to the bows on those.

and of course the preceding 'Destroyer' class.

Hyuga Class Destroyer (Helicopter)

When they start putting chrysanthemums on the bows then you really need to start worrying.

Creative said:
I've noticed in the drawings that the island appears to be the same size, especially the stacks. Are they keeping the same machinery as the Hyuga's?

Sorry, meant to reply to this ages ago! Yes, the basic machinery is the same.

Here's a crosslink to the Izumo thread.

Published on Aug 6, 2013

Japan Maritime Self Defence Force's FY22DDH was launched in 2013/08/06.
The ship was named Izumo (DDH183).

"Japan Launches Latest Helicopter Carrier"
By: Sam LaGrone
August 27, 2015 12:11 PM • Updated: August 27, 2015 1:32 PM

Source:
http://news.usni.org/2015/08/27/japan-launches-second-helicopter-carrier

Japan has launched the second in its new class of helicopter carrier — the largest Japanese ships since World War II — in a Thursday ceremony in Yokohama.

The 24,000-ton Kaga (DDH-184) — built by ship builder Japan Marine United — bears the same name as the World War II Imperial Japanese Navy carrier Kaga that was part of Pearl Harbor attack and was sunk in the Battle Midway.

The ship follows JS Izumo (DDH-183) which entered service in the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) in March.

The Japanese have said the primary roles of the two ships are anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and humanitarian aid and disaster relief (HADR) operations.

The ships “heightens our ability to deal with Chinese submarines that have become more difficult to detect,” a JMSDF officer told Asahi Shimbum in March.

The ships will field seven Mitsubishi-built SH-60k ASW helicopters and seven AgustaWestland MCM-101 mine countermeasure (MCM) helicopters, U.S. Naval Institute’s Combat Fleets of the World.

There is a potential for the two ships to work with American MV-22s and potentially the short takeoff and vertical landing variant of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). However, the Japanese say they have no plans to operate the JSF from either ship.

When Kaga commissions Japan will have four helicopter carriers. Along with Izumo, Japan has 18,300-ton Hyuga-class helicopter carriers already in commission.

Can't wait to see their next class. They've been giving the Wasp class the eye so it should be interesting.

One could hope it is just a case of some stupid overnationalistic soldier somewhere, but their government had to approve it.
One wonders about the the thinking process --at top level-- which led to naming DDH-184 after one of the carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor.
Such great taste ...

Just a traditional naval name. Western navies don't worry about sensitivity of our allies when naming ships. HMS Trafalgar for example.

Disappointed that the new SSBNs are Dreadnought and not Agincort.

dan_inbox said:
One could hope it is just a case of some stupid overnationalistic soldier somewhere, but their government had to approve it.
One wonders about the the thinking process --at top level-- which led to naming DDH-184 after one of the carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor.
Such great taste ...

You mean like the plethora of USN ships named after places where we killed thousands of Japanese? Hell, we've had TWO Enterprises named after a carrier likely responsible for more Japanese deaths than occurred at Pearl Harbor. Then there's the Enola Gay.

sferrin said:
You mean like the plethora of USN ships named after places where we killed thousands of Japanese?
Maybe some don't see the point, but I do make a difference between the perpetrator of a vicious attack in peacetime like Pearl, and those who respond to it. I must be old school.

I am not offended by the name, just surprised by the poor taste. To me it is a milder version of if Germany named its ships Totenkopfstandarten, Auschwitz or Dachau, for exemple.
I'd want to show better symbols. Specially as inspiration to my troops.
Besides, if I were in government I'd simply question the wisdom of gratuitously squandering the goodwill of allies. Especially when it might be needed soon, given China's actions around several archipelagos like the Senkaku Islands.
Machismo can be fine and dandy, but only when it is not stoopid.

dan_inbox said:
sferrin said:
You mean like the plethora of USN ships named after places where we killed thousands of Japanese?
Maybe some don't see the point, but I do make a difference between the perpetrator of a vicious attack in peacetime like Pearl, and those who respond to it. I must be old school.

I am not offended by the name, just surprised by the poor taste. To me it is a milder version of if Germany named its ships Totenkopfstandarten, Auschwitz or Dachau, for exemple.
Besides, if I were in government I'd simply question the wisdom of gratuitously squandering the goodwill of allies. Especially when it might be needed soon, given China's actions around several archipelagos like the Senkaku Islands.

It's a name. I'd be astonished if anybody in the entire decision chain went, "YEAH! We bombed 'em good in Pearl Harbor. Let's celebrate it by naming another carrier after one that did the deed."

dan_inbox said:
sferrin said:

My recollection is that "Kaga" refers to a former province of Japan (apparently translates as "Increased Joy").
Strange how some people can contend to be offended by a name of a Japanese warship while simultaneously making deeply ignorant/ insensitive comments re: the Holocaust.
I'm not looking to make light of the Pearl Harbour attack but a damaging surprise attack on military bases (a war crime) does not in any meaningful way compare with the systematic repression and murder of millions of men, women & children (the worst crime against humanity in human history).

Did you react the same way to the HMS Ark Royal christening in '81? After all it took part in Operation Catapult at Mers-el-Kébir...

I won't comment on your attempts at equivalency with the Holocaust because I'd probably be banned.

I meant in no way a comparison between Pearl and the holocaust. The comparison is about choosing names of war criminals as inspiration for the troops. And yes, Kaga is way lower in that scale ("milder") than Totenkopfstandarten.

Again, it was not about being offended, it was about surprise at the lack of taste and wisdom among leaders who could be expected to have some political acumen and finesse.

In that name choice I see a major blooper and you don't, and we can agree to disagree.
The repeat attempts at personal digs would do nothing to improve the atmosphere of the forum if they succeeded. Just saying that you see no problem with selecting a war crime perpetrator as ship name is enough. I find it inept and you guys don't, that's it.
Let's go back to the topic of the forum.

dan_inbox said:
I meant in no way a comparison between Pearl and the holocaust. The comparison is about choosing names of war criminals as inspiration for the troops. And yes, Kaga is way lower in that scale ("milder") than Totenkopfstandarten.

Again, it was not about being offended, it was about surprise at the lack of taste and wisdom among leaders who could be expected to have some political acumen and finesse.

In that name choice I see a major blooper and you don't, and we can agree to disagree.
The repeat attempts at personal digs would do nothing to improve the atmosphere of the forum if they succeeded. Just saying that you see no problem with selecting a war crime perpetrator as ship name is enough. I find it inept and you guys don't, that's it.
Let's go back to the topic of the forum.

I also don't want to prolong this particular side discussion re: the main topic.
However as factual correction I would again state that the modern Kaga is named after a former province of Japan and is carrying on the tradition of naming Japanese carriers with this name; it is not named after "a war crime perpetrator". The comparisons with British carriers named Ark Royal above is well made.

I wonder what the attitude would be to HMS CONQUEROR as a name for a Royal Navy ship? ::)

From the start of the 20th century, Japanese battleships were named after old provinces of Japan. After the Washington Treaty, construction of most battleships and battlecruisers was stopped for a while. The battlecruisers Akagi and Amagi (named after Japanese mountains) were to be finished as carriers, but Amagi was destroyed during a fire. As its replacement, the unfinished Kaga was then converted to a carrier.
- battleships - including the two converted to carriers (Kaga, Shinano) - named after provinces
- battlecruisers - including the one converted to a carrier (Akagi) - named after mountains
- purpose-designed carriers - mostly named after mythical animals, with two named after mountains (Katsuragi, Amagi as laid down in 1942)

After WW II, DDH named after provinces and mountains.

Wiki has an entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ship-naming_conventions

dan_inbox said:

It was no doubt named after the same place the first Kaga was named for, not for the ship that bombed Pearl Harbor. We have a USS Missouri SSN. It was named after the state not the battleship.