BAC Jaguar Projects

In Tony Buttler's "British Secret Projects 2" (I believe), a project for a Harrier/Jaguar replacement was underway. There were multiple proposals, however, one of them was a heavily modified, heavily modernised Jaguar called the P.97 (I believe, it has been a while since I last checked.) I will upload further details once I've read over the project a bit.

That would by the P.97 'Super Jaguar', a November 1976 BAe study for a 'Big Wing' Jaguar powered by twin Rolls-Royce RB.409-07R turbofans (5,965 lbf dry/ 10,150 lbf reheat). This study was aimed as the Harrier/Jaguar replacement requirement AST.403.

Hood noted that the P.97 was also be involve "composite construction, FBW and either RB.409-07 or Adour 63". Does anyone have more on that Rolls-Royce/Turbomeca engine?

See: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/big-wing-jaguar.3309/

On a bit of a tangent:

Recently I was browsing a bit in one of the groups on Facebook, and I came across Jaguar XX979, which was a GR.1 which seems to have been modified to serve as a testbed for the anti-ship variant of the Jag which was eventually used by the Indians. The main noticeable difference is in the nose, which has extended in order to potentially house the radar necessary for locking onto a target. This is highly interesting as I had never realised that such an aircraft existed in UK colours. For context, the latter two images were taken when the aircraft was with the A&AEE.

Weapons included in the display below are:
Paveway LGBs
AGM-84 Harpoons
AM.39 Exocet
R.550 Magic
AIM-9 Sidewinder (most likely Limas)
Matra Durandals
SNEB rockets
BL.755
various General Purpose bombs

It must be noted that many of these must be mockups and it is possible that these are there in order to show what the aircraft is capable of carrying, rather than showing what was integrated with the weapons. It is also likely that some weapons may not be displayed, such as Sea Eagle, which was the weapon chosen for use on the Indian Jaguars in this configuration, as far as I can remember.

XX979 was reduced to spares, but the cockpit survives at the Neatished Radar Museum.

If you have any information or images featuring this aircraft, please post it below. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(All credits for the photos go to their respective owners)

Attachments

• xx979-1.jpg
    xx979-1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20230304-132527_2.png
    Screenshot_20230304-132527_2.png
    895.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 1347655-large-1.jpg
    1347655-large-1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 139

Attachments

• EkdiSKxUUAEa3xE.jpeg.jpg
    EkdiSKxUUAEa3xE.jpeg.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 86
  • EkdLIWUUUAAnQEJ.jpeg.jpg
    EkdLIWUUUAAnQEJ.jpeg.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Dz0js58WkAAxHTA.jpeg.jpg
    Dz0js58WkAAxHTA.jpeg.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Dz0js57XgAAjnyW.jpeg.jpg
    Dz0js57XgAAjnyW.jpeg.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 74
If UK had taken junior slot on AFVG, and tried, solo, a multi-role lighter combat/advanced trainer, P.45-ish... then as it slipped and bloated, might we have taken a T-38/F-5E package?
T-38 trainer, sure.

F-5E was supposed to be a plane for unsophisticated countries to buy or build, there would be an immense amount of screaming from the various manufacturers about how insulting it was to operate a plane intended for 3rd world powers.

F-5A variants were used by Canada, Norway, the Netherlands.