It's not a bug, it's a cyborg drone

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Till now allmost all drones are completely man-made. That could change, at least
in the field of micro drones, according to an article in the december issue of the
German magazine "Spektrum der Wissenschaft" (Spectrum Of Science). Several
teams of scientists are working on a conversion of insects into controllable drones.
The shown example of the species Cotinis texana, can be made to start, land and
change its flightpath via radio control. Rate of success is already said to be around
97 % ! Of course, there aren't only military applications, but others like search for
buried mineworkers or earthquake victims, or just studying the life of insects . ;)
Triggered were those studies by DARPA ...

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 29
Now, where have I seen that before...

fifthelement25.jpg

I wonder.

Matej said:
The only good news for the bug is that the miniaturisation of the electronics progressed in the last 15 years :)

Well, it is said, that those wired bugs have the same lifespan, feeding behaviour and fecundity, as the non-wired
conspecifics. So, it was concluded, that the insects suffer no pain. Of course, nobody can ask them ...

What next? If it works on bugs they will try it on mice. And if it works on mice you can bet your bottom dollar/ruble/rupie/euro/whatever that they will try it on man someday. Hey! An Army of remote-controlled soldiers that won't stop walking, shooting and fighting, that can be directed to wherever you want and have no choice but to follow, all of this in a way that is totally harmless to them (of course!), what military leaders in their right minds would not be tempted by the idea?? Scary.

That should be a good inspiration for the next thriller based on the technology fear, but I don't think that it will go that far.

1. When the technology will be at the level applicable to the human being, I think that it will be much easier and much cheaper to produce some sort of serial produced planted bionical mission-optimised clone, ready for the remote control installation. Think about something like Jem h adar in Startrek: Deep Space 9.

2. Human body is very inefficient platform for moving in terrain. Only the two legs, big aspect ratio, center of gravity very high... In my opinion the optimal soldier of the future is something like gigantic spider with the four legs equipped with the wheels and four legs equipped with the hand-like mechanism. Hey, I should offer that idea to ESA for their next generation rover! :)

Well, you know how those human beings are. Nuclear weapons, ground based lasers. But I'm afraid to have to tell you that things are a bit further along than you thought.

Here's rat brain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0eZytv6Qk&feature=related

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww etc.

Ed

Cyborg insects have some interesting qualities to use it as a potentially useful living drones.

Another interesting drone could be made from bacteria or even protozoa. Just an idea.

I don't think a human cyborg could be a useful drone at all. Anyway human drones exist from centuries ago. No advanced science/technology is needed to turn a human into a drone. The method is cheap and rather effective and the name is Religion.

Stargazer2006 said:
What next? If it works on bugs they will try it on mice.

like "The Mighty Atom" from Thunderbirs ? (that very small robot)
this a robot design for tech spy operation and take photo of Wat move
until the robot mice encounter Lady Penelope...

but back to Cyborg drones
this story i hear is that CIA work in 1970s on "Bionic Cat"
Cats By surgery implanted microphones, camera and transmitter
the antenna runs from neck to tail tip under the skin
all this power by isotope pacemakers

first i hear the story by former CIA tech who gave TV interview
about German Exhibition over spy technology in cold war
after CIA tech was the program a total fiasco...

" ...all this power by isotope pacemakers .."

The article from "Spektrum der Wissenschaft" mentioned as one of the biggest advantages
of cyborg insects, that at least for flying or crawling there's no need for an external power
supply. The lightest artificial drone is said 0.06 g but there still is no battery, that can keep
it flying for more than a few minutes.

Matej said:
That should be a good inspiration for the next thriller based on the technology fear, but I don't think that it will go that far.

There was a Moon Knight comic (published as backup feature in the Hulk! Magazine title) that was about a CIA brainwashing program that had developed into a cyborg assassin/agent program. :)

It's a psytron or psychotron, the reverse of a cyborg. Ie natural body with an artificial brain vs natural brain in an artificial body.

At least in the case of the bugs, it's more a kind of an "enhanced", or "artificially supported"
natural brain, although the bugs may see it otherwise !