Is Gruyère Still Gruyère if It Doesn’t Come From Gruyères?

edwest4

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
An article headline from today's New York Times. A U.S. judge has ruled that it can be made anywhere. Meanwhile, an anonymous source has informed me to forget about the Ukraine, the French and Swiss are about to invade the U.S. No link - too barbaric...

A bit like the eu stating Cheddar can be made anywhere. Not likely to be earth shattering in it's effect.

The Swiss should have seen this coming. I have been buying Swiss Cheese that is not made in Switzerland.

:)

The state of Idaho needs to move fast and get Idaho trademarked everywhere.

Or something...

Has France put their nuclear Arsenal on High Alert after this news ?

Plus il y a de trous, moins il y a de gruyère
Plus il y a de gruyère, moins il y a de trous

The more holes there are, the less cheese there is
The more Gruyere there is, the less there are holes

I'm glad that got cleared up.

The first time a winemaker told me, officiously and snobbishly, that it was wrong to call bubbly white wine made outside of a certain region of France "Champagne" - "YOU MUST CALL IT METHODE CHAMPENOISE" - I was tempted to ram the largest possible bottle of it that I could find up his left nostril. All the way in. Big end first. /jk

We all know what Champers is, you jerk. Shut your toff mouth. :p

The first time a winemaker told me, officiously and snobbishly, that it was wrong to call bubbly white wine made outside of a certain region of France "Champagne" - "YOU MUST CALL IT METHODE CHAMPENOISE" - :p
Screw that noise, I'll call it cham-pag-nee.
Cra-san-wich.

Then you must pronounce cologne as Ka-log-nee.

The first time a winemaker told me, officiously and snobbishly, that it was wrong to call bubbly white wine made outside of a certain region of France "Champagne" - "YOU MUST CALL IT METHODE CHAMPENOISE" - :p
Cra-san-wich.

It's Köln, actually, as in Kölnisch Wasser, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eau_de_Cologne, but if the Umlaut is too much of a challenge, you can simply refer to it as 4711, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4711 :).

Cra-san-wich.

It's Köln, actually, as in Kölnisch Wasser, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eau_de_Cologne, but if the Umlaut is too much of a challenge, you can simply refer to it as 4711, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4711 :).
I have something to say about l'eau de Cologne 4711, when I'm tired of working I use a little to refresh my temples and neck, then a couple of deep inspirations, another coffee and... Works!;)

Oh... well... wow. Everything?
EVERYTHING.

im-not-saying-everything-is-racism-but-its-racism.jpg

Well- Emmental is the Swiss cheese that has holes (not gruyère) mainly due to a bacterial reaction of tiny flecks of sawdust since it used to have to be hand milked to qualify as real Emmental.

Well- Emmental is the Swiss cheese that has holes (not gruyère) mainly due to a bacterial reaction of tiny flecks of sawdust since it used to have to be hand milked to qualify as real Emmental.
That's the stuff!

Dear edwest2
Sorry to bother you in this forum. But I do not know how to get in contact any other way...
Context: my daughter is doing a history class work on her great-grandfather who was a JU-pilot in the twenties and thirties before WW2. Since he died in 1941 and his wife and son had to flee the country (to Switzerland - though neither Emmental nor Gruyere...:)), not many details are known about his life. Through google research we spotted an entry on an ebay-log related to a "Original-Flugbuch-Rudolf-Sprinzing" from an edwest2. We are 99% sure this is the great-grandfather we are looking for to get a clearer picture on his story. If you know maybe something about the whereabouts and content of this "Flubuch", a feedback would be appreciated very much. Kind Regards!

Hello,

I post links to German eBay on the 12oclockhigh! forum. I do not own or have access to this flugbuch. I checked the Luftwaffe Officer Careers Summaries site and there were no details about this man. Since you are a relative, you can request any available records as described here:

"Your primary source for historical records on German armed forces, especially for World War II, is the national archive (Bundesarchiv). Since 2019, documents from the former Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt, Deutsche Dienststelle für die Benachrichtigung der nächsten Angehörigen von Gefallenen der ehemaligen deutschen Wehrmacht) are kept in department PA."

Regards,
Ed

Hello Ed, I understand. It was worth a try. And it was very kind of you to answer. We will try to gain information through the Bundesarchiv. Thank you very much for everything! Regards, Nick

.... and to contribute on the topic: I'm Swiss and know Swiss cheese quite well, and of course Gruyère... My question is if non-Swiss Gruyère tastes the same as Swiss Gruyère. I haven't ever tried non-Swiss Gruyère. I only know, that the US cheese called "Swiss Cheese" does not taste like any Swiss cheese I know...