Iranian Qaher-313 "indigenous fighter jet"

More Photos Here:

http://www.mashreghnews.ir/fa/news/190584

A ) It looks like a subscale demonstrator, not an operational fighter prototype, to me.
B ) I don't see any access panels or demarcation lines showing where the RADAR would be.
C ) It looks like fabric pulled over a frame on the nose to me, or it has very low build quality based on what we can see of the surface in some of those pics.
D ) The plane flying in the video looked like an R.C. model to me and I can't help thinking what were seeing pics of is just a mock up.

That's just my initial reaction looking at these photos.

it almost certainly is just a mock up. is it to scale or not, that is debatable.
But let us assume it a precise mock up, configuration wise, shape wise. There are several things in that shown design that are... bewildering to say the least. Can anyone find similar design solutions on any of the existing planes in the history?

Intakes are positioned high up, on top of a lerx-like fuselage protrusion. i can't recall a single fighter with such an arrangement. Usually it is said such intake positioning isnt good for airflow while manouvering. Such intake position is usually associated with bombers or at least nonmanouverable interceptors or strikers, no?

Dihedral droop of the wingtips. That is pretty much unique feature as far as i know. perhaps bird of pray demonstrator had something similar. does anyone know what was the purpose of such a design on it? Another sort of similar design solution would be on xb70 bomber, but as far as i recall it was used specifically for very high speeds, over mach 2.5. This iranian plane is clearly not designed for such speeds.

lower fuselage shaping. after the nose, the fuselage just widens all of sudden, in not very aerodynamic style. very angular lines there, begging the question of drag. And target speed, seeing that one engine and those small intakes. It all looks subsonic to me.

It is strange , particularly seeing that there is space and angles for air intakes on the lower fuselage.

Obviously a mock-up and the flying footage is of a RC sub scale model.

High res photos from Iranian MOD website:

Attachments

• f313.1.jpg
    f313.1.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 990
  • f313.8.jpg
    f313.8.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 147
  • f313.7.jpg
    f313.7.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 176
  • f313.6.jpg
    f313.6.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 171
  • f313.5.jpg
    f313.5.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 838
  • f313.4.jpg
    f313.4.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 898
  • f313.3.jpg
    f313.3.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 942
  • f313.2.jpg
    f313.2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 956
More:

Attachments

• f313.16.jpg
    f313.16.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 144
  • f313.15.jpg
    f313.15.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 123
  • f313.14.jpg
    f313.14.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 121
  • f313.13.jpg
    f313.13.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 117
  • f313.12.jpg
    f313.12.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 86
  • f313.11.jpg
    f313.11.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 83
  • f313.10.jpg
    f313.10.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 82
  • f313.9.jpg
    f313.9.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 70
Last ones:

Attachments

• f313.22.jpg
    f313.22.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 39
  • f313.21.jpg
    f313.21.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 54
  • f313.20.jpg
    f313.20.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 71
  • f313.19.jpg
    f313.19.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 84
  • f313.18.jpg
    f313.18.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 160
  • f313.17.jpg
    f313.17.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 151
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
At best - single J85 engined manned demonstrator
At worst - simply fiction

I would agree totally.

Looks almost as if the inspiration was a welding of the Boeing Bird of Prey with the Lampyridae.

Some strange features indeed, and I wonder if it is a form of disinformation?

I suppose if it was scaled up slightly, wings tweaked, and the front features from the canard forwards were reworked, it may actually be of use in a form of strike role.

IMHO it seams to be that the engineers were inspired by the X-36, Boeings Bird of Prey and the fictional MiG-37.

http://www.mehrnews.com/en/newsdetail.aspx?NewsID=1806182

TEHRAN, Feb. 2 (MNA) – In the anniversary of Iran's 1979 Revolution, Iranian president unveils indigenous Qaher 313 (Conquer) fighter jet, developed by Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics.
Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, congratulated the great achievement of Iran, saying that “this is the major breakthrough towards the fulfillment of the Supreme Leader’s insights,” and added “all design and production process of Qaher (Conquer) 313 indigenous fighter jet has been done by Iranian Aerial Defense Industries Organization and their professional scientists.”

In describing the physical characteristics of the Qaher 313, Vahidi said; “this is an advance fighter jet, with enhanced profile and a very small Radar cross section (RCS) and fly-by in low altitude is the most important feature of this fighter.” He also pointed to the need for short runway for taking off and landing of Qaher 313 fighter as another feature.

Brig. Gen. Vahidi outlined the use of advanced materials in aircraft construction and using advance avionics in the Qaher 313 fighter jet cockpit.

Defense Minister also stressed on the payload capabilities and ability to carry the latest indigenous advanced armaments and said “Qaher 313 fighter jet is outstanding symbol of ingenuity, creativity and courage of professional Iranians in Defense Ministry.”

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I guess it could be an Iranian "Have Blue".

If indeed it is a serious project, I would very much lean toward this.

Sort of like a slightly reduced scale proof-of-concept vehicle.

The engine (sourcing it) would be problematic in that case though.
I suppose the Chinese WS-13 Taishan or WP-15 Kunlun could solve that...

I like the 'Firefox' wingtips! ;D

The intake designer is a genius, making the engine surge free behind a sharp edged chine that will throw a strong vortex down to the compressor face.

Oh, hang on.... :eek:

If you were building a fake mockup just for propaganda you'd make it bigger, IMHO. No shortage of plywood in Iran.

Mike: maybe the engine is vortex powered like a Dyson.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
If you were building a fake mockup for propaganda you'd make it bigger, IMHO. No shortage of plywood in Iran.

That is a good point.

Harrier, if you look at where the current intakes are, with their red covers, just below that, underneath the wing, you will see an angle that precisely matches where the intakes should logically be.
This is why I said there might be a little disinformation thrown into the mix.

Looks like it is designed to be flown by that monkey they shot into 'space'.

The big wing droop is for stability which implies they have no computerised flight control system to counter the instability of the aerodynamic shape.

Stills from a video...

Attachments

• Qaher5.jpg
    Qaher5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Qaher4.jpg
    Qaher4.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 61
  • Qaher3.jpg
    Qaher3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Qaher2b.jpg
    Qaher2b.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 458
  • Qaher2a.jpg
    Qaher2a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 463
  • Qaher2.jpg
    Qaher2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 461
  • Qaher1.jpg
    Qaher1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 464
last:

Attachments

• Qaher11.jpg
    Qaher11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Qaher10.jpg
    Qaher10.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Qaher9.jpg
    Qaher9.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Qaher8.jpg
    Qaher8.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Qaher7.jpg
    Qaher7.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 116
  • Qaher6.jpg
    Qaher6.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 112
Possibly related to the Bavar-2 "stealth flying boat" :)

Attachments

• PM1036101@IRAN FlyingBoats .jpg
    PM1036101@IRAN FlyingBoats .jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 81
As a teacher I always need to be polite even face-to face with the biggest failures .... as such: "Well this is quite an interesting concept, that reminds me of features found in the Have Blue, the X-36 and the Italeri/Testors F-19 as well as MiG-37, but .... honestly how desperate must one be to think that anyone takes this model seriously ??? :eek: ?

Deino

Abraham Gubler said:
The big wing droop is for stability which implies they have no computerised flight control system to counter the instability of the aerodynamic shape.

Alternatively, it may be intended as a backup to an analog (or perhaps some sort of hybrid?) FBW system.

Sorry guys, but I think something is wrong here: When the Chengdu J-20 was prepared for the taxi tests some where crying out loud "look a piece of plastic, a Fake and a mock-up" ... even since it is flying some still discuss about it as a heavy un-maneuverabvle striker of limited operational use. And now in front of this piece of playwood-plasik-toy some - some are the same ! - are discussing a demonstrator or take it for real !!!!! :eek: ???

Image from eBaum's World. -SP

Attachments

• 820849_10151266956883603_350700790_o.jpg
    820849_10151266956883603_350700790_o.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 141
Two things [that haven't been mentioned previously] that struck me from the photos -

1/ The surface finish is appalling - IF it's for real, the quality of the tooling used to produce the parts makes a '70s kit car look good.

2/ The pitot probe isn't on straight...

Overheard at a secret stealth workshop ('if closed leave parcels at Kebab shop') - "...and this time, make it look stealthy!"

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
If you were building a fake mockup just for propaganda you'd make it bigger, IMHO. No shortage of plywood in Iran.

Mike: maybe the engine is vortex powered like a Dyson.

I think a telling detail missing from this "demonstrator" is neither the bottom of the canopy nor the cockpit sill actually have any latches, hooks, etc to ensure a secure seating and closure of the canopy for flight. This canopy can't be sealed for flight. It can not represent anything but a very crude mockup.

If they told me to build them a fictitious mockup for disinformation purposes, I would have done a vastly better job than this. This is amateur night at the propaganda fraud department.

Btw, I like the warning stencil in English. A touching, uh, touch.

Wow, there are so many 'wrong' things here that I don't even know where to begin.
In other news, I heard the prop for Firefox II was stolen last month ...

Additional Pictures:

Interesting Detail on last picture
the pilot doesn't fit into cockpit...

Attachments

• 1835910910.jpg
    1835910910.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 2822838574.jpg
    2822838574.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 435
  • Q-313-cockpit.jpg
    Q-313-cockpit.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 430
  • Q-313-6.jpg
    Q-313-6.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 436
  • Q-313-4.jpg
    Q-313-4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,198
I agree that, as a disinformation tool, this mock up "thing" leaves a great deal to be desired. ;D

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a model from the same "artisans" who knocked up the facsimile of the RQ-170 that was displayed in Iran.

I imagine that in a "controlled" society, there's no motivation to tell an idiot general, politician or ....whatever the truth, namely, that his pet deception scheme is a load of crap...

Michel Van said:
Additional Pictures:

Interesting Detail on last picture
the pilot doesn't fit into cockpit...

Yeah you are right! It could be a down scaled mockup, but if thats the case I still wouldnt pretend a pilot could fit in there!

They obviously took the 'meanest' features from a "high tech fighter Google' search and taped them all together.

I was fairly excited about this unveiling, but unfortunately it turns to be a big flop. Pity, it would have been impressive for them to actually unveil something functional and realistic like that single engine F-5 derivative with RD-33 engine , new wings and twin tails. Alas this crude model , although an interesting and attracting concept in itself , but with many detail flaws imo (intakes, especially , not to mention aerodynamics) is just for internal consumption, it's pathetic really. They were actually far more careful with that Shafaq ( Mukhamedov ) design mock-up, at least it looked the part.
But i guess it only confirms my suspicions, things like those Saeqeh are nothing more than crude F-5 with 2 tails, with basically no combat value, just propaganda. Makes you wonder how competent are the other "achievements" they talk about. They need to get rid of those ayatollahs asap, they're destroying their own country.

Anyway, despite all this , does anyone ventured to do or seen somewhere a 3-view drawing of this mock-up? Thanks.