Aviation, Imagination of the Future from the Past

Tinsley's fighters seem to have rocket motors like the XS-1, but are shut off, a jet engine being in use. Yet I don't notice any air intake for a jet engine. Oh well...
Note that the exhaust smoke seems to come from *below* the rockets, indicating that the jet exhaust is below and forward of the rockets. This would suggest that the inlet is also on the underside, probably under the nose. The fuselage does seem a bit deep.

Note that the exhaust smoke seems to come from *below* the rockets, indicating that the jet exhaust is below and forward of the rockets. This would suggest that the inlet is also on the underside, probably under the nose.
Which very much brings to mind the Douglas D-558-2.
Jet inlets under nose, jet exhaust under aft fuselage,
some references,

Here's a video clip of D-558-2 jet engine being started,

The jet engines are fired in a Douglas D-558-2 supersonic aircraft being carried by a Boeing B-29 Superfortress on a test flight.​

Sure looks like this plane is inspiration for configuration of the rocket-jets in that magazine cover art.

> and speaking of sure, I'm not sure the jet engine is actually lit off in that clip, but it gives an excellent look at where the jet engine exhaust was located.

I love this one,just the sheer ridiculous size and scale of it,its literally a flying ocean liner and a twin hulled one at that!.
popular-mechanics-covers-26.jpg

Love those wings...
popular-mechanics-covers-6.jpg

Runways of the future or the world of vstol that never was.....:eek:
popular-mechanics-covers-27.jpg

Rocket bombs....
popular-mechanics-covers-33.jpg

Last edited:
If there were a nicely done plastic model kit of that, I'd want one.
Might also be a fun project to try if I was in to radio control models.
Am expecting that the engine pods also had pusher props in addition to the visible tractor propellors.
Yes,it looks rather elegant,the mounting points on the upper fuselage almost look like pivots as tho the whole wing could have some ability to move up and down.I also like the idea of the push/pull configuration,I`ve always loved that sort of configuration since I read about the zeppelin staaken r planes waaay back in the late 90s.
I wish I had access to pg 543 so I could learn the secrets behind this machine.:D

The HMS M2 submarine and its reconnaissance floatplane Parnall Peto.
At the time, it sounded just like the future !
The M2 and me Peto were in service, but were lost during training when the submarine dived with the floatplane hangar door still open.
Parnall Peto Seaplane (First flight_ June 4, 1925 - only 2 built)_ Art probably by Roy Cross ...jpeg

The HMS M2 submarine and its reconnaissance floatplane Parnall Peto.
At the time, it sounded just like the future !
The M2 and me Peto were in service, but were lost during training when the submarine dived with the floatplane hangar door still open.
View attachment 726390
Hi

Attachments

• 188.jpg
    188.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17