IFV Marder 1A3 Mod - Systronic Demonstrator

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Seen today on the open house of the German Ministry for Defense, the Marder 1A3 Mod is
used as the so-called "Systronic Demonstrator". Basically the same vehicle as the Marder 1A3,
it is fitted with a drive-by-wire system, usable from three stations inside, a remotely controlled
weapons turret for guns and missiles (still fitted as mock-up only) and new sensors. Additionally
a training system and a close range communications and data transmission system for the dismounted
infantry is integrated. The vehicle has six flexible configurable workstations and is meant to be used
in network-centric theatres.

Attachments

• Marder-1A3Mod.jpg
    Marder-1A3Mod.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 679
From some time back: http://www.aviationweek.com/blogs.aspx?plckblogid=blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckpostid=blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7post:1fdfb7fe-cf2b-416b-9004-9fbf47a2000f

Thanks for this link, the Wiesel 2, shown there was parked beside the Marder, but taking reasonable photos was
a little bit difficult, due to the large crowd of people there (and due to the already overstretched patience of my
family ... :-\ ) . Both vehicles were shown together with their small accompanying unmanned vehicles/robots,
whereas the "Mikado" micro UAV, shown on that site, too, was shown separately, demonstrating its IR camera.

Attachments

• Mikado.JPG
    Mikado.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 542
Yes, the Wiesel is partly visible in your picture, along with its optronics mast.
By the way, do you know what the missiles are going to be? Eurospike, PARS 3 LR, Stinger...?

No, the guy, who explained the vehicle and systems stressed, that both "gun" and ""missiles"
are only "placeholders", although the angle, the system can be elevated seems to make more
sense for a SAm, I think.

Thanks for the explanation. I would expect the mounts to be modular, accepting either SAMs or ATGMs, even a mixture of both, if need be. As for the gun, I think it's a GMG, going by the flash hider.

The missile launcher mock-ups are probably meant to represent a vehicle self-defence version of the LFK NG.

Jemiba said:
Seen today on the open house of the German Ministry for Defense, the Marder 1A3 Mod is
used as the so-called "Systronic Demonstrator". Basically the same vehicle as the Marder 1A3,
it is fitted with a drive-by-wire system, usable from three stations inside, a remotely controlled
weapons turret for guns and missiles (still fitted as mock-up only) and new sensors. Additionally
a training system and a close range communications and data transmission system for the dismounted
infantry is integrated. The vehicle has six flexible configurable workstations and is meant to be used
in network-centric theatres.

Sounds like the system used by Airmatic in their fire-fighting Marders for a few years, is it the same ?

Regarding to this article http://firechief.com/technology/ar/german-tank-wildfire-suppression-0101,
Airmatic used the standard Marder 1A3 for the modification, the changes were mainly in incorparating
the ater tanks and nozzles, but no drive-by-wire system. If there actually are similarities in the sensor
equipment, I don't know, but the requirements for sensor type and range certainly are quite different,
I think.

that article is quite old - 2008. I'll have to do a big search for the Airmatic website (if it's still there) as Google didn't find it - just a few vids on youtube. Last year I found their new site with several videos & more info. They also had a Buffel painted red as a comms vehicle to coordinate the others at fire-sites but I believe better on-board comms means that it isn't needed for that purpose now. There is also a Chinese Fire-Tank that has fire-proof rubber tracks & multi-station controls.