• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Idea about the Ise Hybrid Battleship/Aircraft Carrier

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
How ugly... hey, if one of these aircraft miss the wires - just fire the forward turret guns, and the blast should help it recovering to try another day...

RanulfC

Reaction score
I'm more concerned with how tall she is and also how top heavy that would make her. It's a great way to 'clear' the turrets but wouldn't it make her really susceptible to swell and roll?

Randy

Sherman Tank

I don't want to change my personal text
Reaction score
Utter and complete unrealistic fantasy. There's so much topweight so high above water it would probably capsize in a moderate breeze.

Tzoli

Reaction score
No it won't 2/3rd of main weaponry with associated ammunition got removed that is 2.800tons the turrets alone, 590tons of the ammo (shells and charges) so almost 3.500tons could be used for the aviation facilities and I very much doubt you can put that much aircraft and their associated equipment on this BBCV including the flight deck which must be unarmoured or lightly armoured.

EwenS

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The 590 tons of ammo comes from the bottom of the ship and the 2800 tons of turrets from main deck level. All your aviation facilities, hangars, flight deck and all the associated equipment is going in above that in your model (your hangar deck looks as if it is at the level of B turret with the flight deck above that). So the combined effects of removing weight low down and adding weight high up are seriously destabilising. Your ship becomes top heavy.

If you look at the various drawings for actual proposed conversions of BB in WW2 to hybrid BB/CV with a full flight deck they all, AFAIK, had the fight deck no higher than just above B turret.

There was an Article in Warship 2009 about the conversions of Ise & Hyuga which has drawings of the various Japanese plans for their conversion. None of them carried the flight deck any higher than in the actual conversion. Why? I’d suggest the probability of the destabilising effect a conversion such as you propose would have.

I’d recommend “The Hybrid Warship” by RDLayman and Stephen McLaughlin published back in 1991, if you haven’t already got it. Plenty of wild and wacky ideas in there for you to play with. I just love the quote from the Director of the Gunnery Division of the RN about 1941 in relation to RN hybrid proposals “these abortions are the results of a psychological maladjustment”.

able

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
The flight deck and hangar is just the same as IJN Ryujo, that carrier was only 10000 ton, two hangar deck, 36 airport.

I hope ISE class BBCV can have three hangar deck, 48 airport

This bridge is smaller than CA TAKAO

Last edited:

able

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
The 590 tons of ammo comes from the bottom of the ship and the 2800 tons of turrets from main deck level. All your aviation facilities, hangars, flight deck and all the associated equipment is going in above that in your model (your hangar deck looks as if it is at the level of B turret with the flight deck above that). So the combined effects of removing weight low down and adding weight high up are seriously destabilising. Your ship becomes top heavy.

If you look at the various drawings for actual proposed conversions of BB in WW2 to hybrid BB/CV with a full flight deck they all, AFAIK, had the fight deck no higher than just above B turret.

There was an Article in Warship 2009 about the conversions of Ise & Hyuga which has drawings of the various Japanese plans for their conversion. None of them carried the flight deck any higher than in the actual conversion. Why? I’d suggest the probability of the destabilising effect a conversion such as you propose would have.

I’d recommend “The Hybrid Warship” by RDLayman and Stephen McLaughlin published back in 1991, if you haven’t already got it. Plenty of wild and wacky ideas in there for you to play with. I just love the quote from the Director of the Gunnery Division of the RN about 1941 in relation to RN hybrid proposals “these abortions are the results of a psychological maladjustment”.
Thank you. I have read the book you recommend.

Attachments