290_23956_9a75645fe00cd94.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 290_23956_75513aad4e4775b.jpg
    290_23956_75513aad4e4775b.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 290_23956_1ff0e12e615bf94.jpg
    290_23956_1ff0e12e615bf94.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 199
How ugly... hey, if one of these aircraft miss the wires - just fire the forward turret guns, and the blast should help it recovering to try another day...

I'm more concerned with how tall she is and also how top heavy that would make her. It's a great way to 'clear' the turrets but wouldn't it make her really susceptible to swell and roll?

Randy

Utter and complete unrealistic fantasy. There's so much topweight so high above water it would probably capsize in a moderate breeze.

No it won't 2/3rd of main weaponry with associated ammunition got removed that is 2.800tons the turrets alone, 590tons of the ammo (shells and charges) so almost 3.500tons could be used for the aviation facilities and I very much doubt you can put that much aircraft and their associated equipment on this BBCV including the flight deck which must be unarmoured or lightly armoured.

The 590 tons of ammo comes from the bottom of the ship and the 2800 tons of turrets from main deck level. All your aviation facilities, hangars, flight deck and all the associated equipment is going in above that in your model (your hangar deck looks as if it is at the level of B turret with the flight deck above that). So the combined effects of removing weight low down and adding weight high up are seriously destabilising. Your ship becomes top heavy.

If you look at the various drawings for actual proposed conversions of BB in WW2 to hybrid BB/CV with a full flight deck they all, AFAIK, had the fight deck no higher than just above B turret.

There was an Article in Warship 2009 about the conversions of Ise & Hyuga which has drawings of the various Japanese plans for their conversion. None of them carried the flight deck any higher than in the actual conversion. Why? I’d suggest the probability of the destabilising effect a conversion such as you propose would have.

I’d recommend “The Hybrid Warship” by RDLayman and Stephen McLaughlin published back in 1991, if you haven’t already got it. Plenty of wild and wacky ideas in there for you to play with. I just love the quote from the Director of the Gunnery Division of the RN about 1941 in relation to RN hybrid proposals “these abortions are the results of a psychological maladjustment”.

The flight deck and hangar is just the same as IJN Ryujo, that carrier was only 10000 ton, two hangar deck, 36 airport.

I hope ISE class BBCV can have three hangar deck, 48 airport

This bridge is smaller than CA TAKAO

Last edited:
The 590 tons of ammo comes from the bottom of the ship and the 2800 tons of turrets from main deck level. All your aviation facilities, hangars, flight deck and all the associated equipment is going in above that in your model (your hangar deck looks as if it is at the level of B turret with the flight deck above that). So the combined effects of removing weight low down and adding weight high up are seriously destabilising. Your ship becomes top heavy.

If you look at the various drawings for actual proposed conversions of BB in WW2 to hybrid BB/CV with a full flight deck they all, AFAIK, had the fight deck no higher than just above B turret.

There was an Article in Warship 2009 about the conversions of Ise & Hyuga which has drawings of the various Japanese plans for their conversion. None of them carried the flight deck any higher than in the actual conversion. Why? I’d suggest the probability of the destabilising effect a conversion such as you propose would have.

I’d recommend “The Hybrid Warship” by RDLayman and Stephen McLaughlin published back in 1991, if you haven’t already got it. Plenty of wild and wacky ideas in there for you to play with. I just love the quote from the Director of the Gunnery Division of the RN about 1941 in relation to RN hybrid proposals “these abortions are the results of a psychological maladjustment”.
Thank you. I have read the book you recommend.

Attachments

• hybrid_warship.JPG
    hybrid_warship.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 110
The cruise ships of today look worse

"Look" being the salient point though, they have a LOT of information on stability and balance that folks 'back-then' didn't have to be able to get away with such shenanigans... Oh and not expecting to have to engage in combat or air operations helps a lot too :)

Randy

Tonnage isn't the only issue.

I assume somewhere there's a hanger bay and elevators in that stack of... stuff. If so, that requires cutting down the barbettes for the turrets as well as the turrets to create the space necessary for those. Removing most of the superstructure is necessary as well.
Without catapults on the flight deck, aircraft are limited to those that can take off using a run forward to gain speed. That will limit the size of the group you can spot on deck at one time.

The magazines will have to be refitted to handle aviation ordinance.

Rerouting the stack and boiler draft intakes is necessary.

Stability will be an issue as most of the weight removed is amid and aft. On the original Ise conversion, 8" of concrete was added to the flight deck for weight to compensate for removal of the turrets aft.

The offset 'pagoda' is probably an impossibility for several reasons. The original was built around a tripod mast that supported it. That's not possible with the offset. The weight of it offset like it is will also be a stability issue. Then there's rerouting all the various communications and power systems for things like fire controls mounted on it.

Why is the secondary armament of 5.5" guns in barbettes on each side retained? These were removed on the original conversion since they were largely useless.

The height of the flight deck will be a huge stability issue. That much weight so high in the ship with its weight reduction will be a serious issue.

Back
Top Bottom