ICX Aviation X-Avia (LC-3) - An Amerikanized Yak-40 effort of late 70s

VictorXL188

Former Aviation journalist/writer
Reaction score
In late-1978, plans came to the attention of the press in relation a proposed new project that would see the Yakovlev Yak-40 being built in the US by a new company known as ICX Aviation. The ICX Aviation model would be known as the X-Avia, and would feature Garrett TFE731-3 turbofans in place of the original Soviet engines. Later plans revealed in Flight Intl (https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1978/1978%20-%203395.html?search=yak-40) stated that avionics would be also sourced from Western Manufacturers. I attach copies of the Air International brief report from the September 1978 edition, as well as the Flight International report as mentioned above, from the 30 December 1978 edition. As far as known, this remained a paper project only, unless anyone knows further info.

Attachments

• ICX Aviation X-Avia Air Intl 091978.jpg
    ICX Aviation X-Avia Air Intl 091978.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 240
  • ICX Aviation X-Avia Flight Intl 30121978.jpg
    ICX Aviation X-Avia Flight Intl 30121978.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 239
New Info for me,many thanks to you Victor.

I remember it all too well. The keywords, as it turned out, were "depressed steel town" and "funding". Oddly enough, the availability of free government money attracts a certain class of entrepreneur. I think there may have been a Youngstown VFW 614 revival project as well...

LowObservable said:
Oddly enough, the availability of free government money attracts a certain class of entrepreneur

Airbus, Boeing etc....

Just found more information on this fascinating project via a White House (!) paper. Pages 22-26 of the attached document.

• The X-Avia was the development name. The production name would have been LC-3.
  • Besides Youngstown, Niagara Falls was considered a potential production site (it's treated in this proposal as the definitive one).

Attachments

• 121079archive.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
What performance advantage would a Yak-40 have over any US designed biz jet? ... shorter runways?

It was the heyday of détente, when things like Apollo-Soyuz happened. Or US-USSR symposium to discuss thermonuclear fusion and other nuclear matters.

Mind you, Piedmont Airlines at some point was interested in the same Yak-40, for the reasons explained below.

Back
Top Bottom