ICBM Concepts

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I searched a couple of these here at SP but did not come across anything. If they have been discussed my apologies. But there was an interesting list of ICBM concepts in the book "Lightning Bolts:First Maneuvering Reentry Vehicles" such as;

Ranger - A small one AMaRV missile about half the size of Minuteman

Vulcan - Large 120" diameter missile able to carry 24 MIRVs or 12 AMaRVs (this sounds like a WS-120A configuration)

Nemesis - A very small ICBM that could carry one Mk-21 RV

Janus - A Minuteman sized ICBM that can also act as an ABM

Brimstone - Basically the large Vulcan missile but with very deep underground basing.

Does anyone have further information on these or other ICBM concepts it would be much appreciated.

They were comcepts developed in early '70s after the virtual cancellation of WS-120A by Nixon. Almost all is known comes from a brief note in a Jane's almanac. In the 120" concept you can see the origin of the "silo stuffer£ version of MX.

Uh, Nemesis was a so-called "sleeper", a missile encapsulated and hidden in unusual places (even outside CONUS), that would activate and launch automatically in retailation of an attack.

From here. Document attached in case something happens to the link.

They were designated Nemesis, Vulcan, Ranger, and Janus. Nemesis, a proposed small low cost missile, would achieve its high survivability through proliferation. Between 2,000 and 10,000 Nemesis missiles could be deployed to guarantee assured destruction. -[snip Vulcan which is basically just the AICBM/WS120]- The proposed Ranger missile -whose chief asset would be its survivability- was to be carried on wheeled or air cushioned vehicle launchers.

So apparently the MX hovercraft idea was older than I thought.

Attachments

• doc06.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 51