IAPR, worth it?

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
i'm thinking of subscribing to International Air Power Review, so would be interested in your opinions.
also, what if any back issues do you feel are essential, (naturally the one with the J-10 article, of course, ;D)
thanks in advance,

cheers,
Robin.

Very much so and I hope they do an index very soon. Has a good balance of new and old, is well presented and is a quality production.

KB

As a subscriber and owner of the entire collection of traditional APR, I absolutely support the iAPR version. It is really new material, and Scott has really grown-up as a Secret Projects guru... ;) ;D

So go on and subscribe for both eAPR (electronic Aerospace Projects Review) and IAPR (International Air Power Review))))

So go on and subscribe for both eAPR (electronic Aerospace Projects Review) and IAPR (International Air Power Review))))

No doubt

I'm subscriber of both publications :)

seems i've caused a bit of confusion here, should have been less ambiguous with the topic title.
i'm interesred in International Air Power Review, the one with the hardback volumes, and the articles on the chinese J-10 by Deino and Sentinel Chicken.
i'm already a subscriber to the excellent _eAPR_, in fact my disk of V1N3 arrived today, will be perusing it once i've finished here.
thanks for your feedback so far, it's looking like a go for a subscription, trouble is, i also want that 'wings/airpower' DVD, while the exchange rate's so good, but even so, it's not cheap. :(

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:
i also want that 'wings/airpower' DVD, while the exchange rate's so good, but even so, it's not cheap. :(

It worth it. Definitely worth it.

Anybody know if Airtime Publishing has any plans to put Classic Wings/ World Airpower Journal on DVD?

Doubt that it will happen...just not their style. Also, I've noted that IAPR goes the same circle as WAP/WOF did - i.e. the same aircrafts rising again.

A pleasant surprise: I had received a solicitation last year to extend my subscription to IAPR. Even though they hadn't published in a while, I understand there were personal problems, I enjoyed the magazine so much I decided to take a chance and sent in my money.

Lo, and behold, when I got home today, sitting upon my doorstep was the long awaited Volume 27 of IAPR. Although clearly some of the articles had been awaiting publication for a bit and there were a few miscaptions, it's till the same excellent quality as before. Haven't had a chance to thouroughly peruse it, but skimmed the F-20 article and they did a good job.

Hope they'll be able to keep producing. There isn't a lot of this quality any more.

I was also surprised to receive #27 today; I was about ready to write off IAPR as another dead item. I was disappointed that there was no "focus aircraft", but the list of articles to appear in #28 indicates two "focus aircraft" (the Foxbat and the Huey - part 1) as if to make up for that.

As for an index, this was on the last page of #27:

"All current subscribers......will receive a free copy of Cumulative Index: Vols. 1-28 when their copy of Volume 28 is mailed out. For non-subscribers, the cost of the index is $4.95, inclusive of delivery within the USA."

I continue to be disappointed with the lack of content on aircraft of the past. When the complementary "Wings of Fame" was discontinued, it was implied that IAPR would be about 50% modern and 50% historic, but it has never been even remotely close to that. Issue #27 has about 110 issues modern and 45 pages historic, which is actually better than the average has been, but IMO still not balanced enough.

gatoraptor said:
I was also surprised to receive #27 today; I was about ready to write off IAPR as another dead item. I was disappointed that there was no "focus aircraft", but the list of articles to appear in #28 indicates two "focus aircraft" (the Foxbat and the Huey - part 1) as if to make up for that.

As for an index, this was on the last page of #27:

"All current subscribers......will receive a free copy of Cumulative Index: Vols. 1-28 when their copy of Volume 28 is mailed out. For non-subscribers, the cost of the index is $4.95, inclusive of delivery within the USA."

I continue to be disappointed with the lack of content on aircraft of the past. When the complementary "Wings of Fame" was discontinued, it was implied that IAPR would be about 50% modern and 50% historic, but it has never been even remotely close to that. Issue #27 has about 110 issues modern and 45 pages historic, which is actually better than the average has been, but IMO still not balanced enough.

I think he's running into two things that contribute to this

1. A probable declining level of interest in older aircraft, and consequent sales and:

2. Probably related, what authors are willing to write about.

Sadly, to most people the world began the day they were born, and even the "Nifty Fifties" ended over half a century ago.

Back in late Nov/early Dec 2010, I received a letter from Mel Williams, the Publisher of IAPR explaining the delay in getting Vol 27 out. Mainly due to family issues. He said that Vol 27 was ready and being sent out to subscribers. He also sadi that Vol 28 will follow in about 3 mnths. Finally, he said that there are plans for 4 volumes in 2011.

Regards.

Greg

Received my copy of IAPR today, way out here in South Africa - was an unexpected surprise, especially as I am still awaiting one book from the USA posted in October 2010, and one from the UK (arrived today) that had been posted airmail on 9th November 2010. Both well before the snow, the strikes & the Christmas rush.

Well, at least Vol. 27 is out for sure.

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/international-air-power-review-vol27-iapr27-airtime-iapr27-military-magazin/product/?shopid=LM4d553bb84a6e5642239df46fcb&action=prodinfo&parent_id=64&art=97655

Attachments

• international_air_power_review_vo_27.jpg
    international_air_power_review_vo_27.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 23
I'm a bit disappointed with Vol.27: no unbuilt projects, lower quality and less interesting features than usual. If I have the same feeling with Vol.28 I'm going to cancel my subscription for sure.