IAI Abir early 1960s Israeli fighter project

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Already in the early 1960's,the IAI concieved plans to develop an indigenous fighter-bomber,long before the Kfir and eventually the Lavi. The IAF issued requirement for a new generation fighter-bomber,which will enter service after the Mirage III. the IAF evaluated the F-8 and the A-6 and eventually the US refused to supply. France offered the highly advanced and very expensive Mirage F2,which proved to be cost prohibitive. The IAI offered an indigenous design,called "Abir' (Knight),which was a single engine,lightweight fighter. the project didn't progress any further beyond this artist impression.

http://cld.bz/bookdata/zc7bZa/basic-html/index.html#page604

via Gil Hezkia

Attachments

• 11995586_10206497025957586_1018038894_n.jpg
    11995586_10206497025957586_1018038894_n.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 817
Those illustrations remind me of the Swiss FFA P-16 prototype.
The P-16 never reached production but it's wing provided lift for Bill Lear's successful
Lear Jet business jet.
Did any Swiss engineers assist Israel?

riggerrob said:
Those illustrations remind me of the Swiss FFA P-16 prototype.
The P-16 never reached production but it's wing provided lift for Bill Lear's successful
Lear Jet business jet.
Did any Swiss engineers assist Israel?

It actually looks like one of the supersonic developments of the P-16. I believe there is a picture of a model on the swiss/P-16 thread.

Here's one I hadn't heard about. Thanks for posting!

The side-mounted inlet reminds me of the A-4 Skyhawk. It lacks the center cone of the Mirage, suggesting a lower-Mach number, strike-fighter type design.

At the time that this would have happened, Israel would already be welcoming the Mirage III as it frontline fighter. Shortly after this, they would sign a contract for 50 Mirage 5 fighters (a Mirage III redesigned for the air-to-ground role), and a little later, would sign for the delivery of their first A-4s.

The drawings are incredibly simplistic, and the position of the horizontal stabilizer is guaranteed to be a mess with typical air combat manoeuvres AOA.
I suppose the drawings are either inaccurate of the project was never serious.

lastdingo said:
the position of the horizontal stabilizer is guaranteed to be a mess with typical air combat manoeuvres AOA
The position of the horizontal tail is similar to either the Mystere IV (which this airplane was probably meant to replace) or the A-4 Skyhawk.
I agree that the drawing is crude. I can't believe that this program got very far.

".....the IAF evaluated the F-8 and the A-6 and eventually the US refused to supply......"

Does anyone know anything of the IAF's appraisal of the F-8 Crusader?

Regards
Pioneer