I - WWI German Aircraft Carrier Project

Airborne2001

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
NOTE: Not to be confused with the 1942 German aircraft carrier project.
(My main source is... Wikipedia... Sorry, but it is the only website that actually provides a lot of info.)

In the mid-1910's, Germany was building an ocean liner, the Ausonia, for Italy. During this time, some people in Germany were interested in the idea of ships that could carry aircraft. Most of these that would appear in the German Navy, the seaplane tenders, were not fast enough for the High Seas Fleet (Though in 1915, the only active seaplane carrier of any kind was the Friedrich Carl.) In 1915, it was decided that the incomplete hull should be converted into an aircraft carrier. The "I" designation was only preliminary; had it been finished it would have been given an official name. The design work was completed by 1918, though the funds in Germany at the time were very strained. Due to the unrestricted submarine warfare of the time, most naval funds were being poured into submarines. As a result, the design was shelved. In 1920, with the order surprisingly still intact, Italy had then cancelled its order for the Ausonia due to the extreme inflation in the Weimar republic of the time causing the ocean liner to be far too expensive.

General characteristics
Type:aircraft carrier
Displacement:12,585 metric tons
Length:158 m (518 ft)
Beam:18.8 m (62 ft)
Draft:7.43 m (24.4 ft)
Propulsion:
  • 2-shaft Blohm & Voss geared turbines
  • 14,000 shp
  • 1,500 tons of coal
Speed:20 knots
Aircraft carried:
  • 13 or 19 seaplanes
  • 10 wheeled aircraft
Aviation facilities:3 hangars

1598223524817.png
1598223832580.png
Something I will need help with:
Does anyone have any idea of what aircraft the carrier was intended to use? The second pictures assumes the Fokker D.VII and what I am assuming is a Friedrichshafen FF.33, FF.41, or FF.49 as the main complement of aircraft. It would have used a combination of fighters, bombers, and torpedo bombers.

Attachments

• 1598223820583.png
    1598223820583.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 35
This drawing shows in more detail the hanger storahe and aircraft arrangements:
007350e86dc37d261e86b9857380114c.jpg

This drawing shows in more detail the hanger storahe and aircraft arrangements:
007350e86dc37d261e86b9857380114c.jpg
Thank you very much! I did not know that they had folding wing designs planned as early as WWI. So I do assume then that the bombers intended were by Friedrichshafen.

I think these were not folded wings just they were removed and stored next to the fuselage like many floatplanes during ww2

Some modellers choose these aircraft:
LVG C.VI
Fokker DVII
Albatros D.III
Hansa-Brandenburg W.12
Hansa-Brandenburg W.33

Some modellers choose these aircraft:
LVG C.VI
Fokker DVII
Albatros D.III
Hansa-Brandenburg W.12
Hansa-Brandenburg W.33
Those needs some tail hooks then and some other modifications i guess to operate from a carrier.

These aircraft were quite slow and light, they can land on shorter ships as well, also we are talking 1918 here, carrier aviation is still new and new technologies and ideas had to be tried out.

Last edited:
These aircraft were quite slow and light, they can land on shorter ships as well, also we are talking 1918 here, carrier aviation is still new and new technologies and ideas had to be tried out.
Well at least it looks like a carrier we know that it would be.

The double deck concept made its way in such ships like the HMS Furious or early Akagi and Kaga. Akagi_draw_03.gif

The double deck concept made its way in such ships like the HMS Furious or early Akagi and Kaga.View attachment 640012
Seems the German carrier is the little brother of them then.

I think these were not folded wings just they were removed and stored next to the fuselage like many floatplanes during ww2

Folding wings were not uncommon in this period, many large biplanes had folding wings for easier storage, even land-based ones.
For example the Short Brothers had a patented system in early1913 and using that produced the Shorts Folder seaplane, the first of which was used on trials on the converted cruiser HMS Hermes. This type even became the first torpedo-bomber too in 1914 thanks to the intervention of Churchill.