1988 Surface Combatants Force Requirements Study - Help needed

that_person

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
*Apologies if this is the wrong section, please feel free to move if appropriate.

While doing a bit of research on the FFX frigate program (the one from the 80s), I accidentally stumbled into an old FAS page detailing the "1988 Surface Combatants Force Requirements Study", which provides a glimpse into the Navy's thinking for the time period, and how they would move forward into the 90s. This study is unique because it is one of the last, if not THE last study conducted with the main factor being confronting the Warsaw Pact. Anything after that is all about the Revolution At Sea. But for the life of me, I can't find the original source material anywhere. I've been told it may still be classified and I need to file a FOIA request, but that's a lengthy process and I want to avoid doing that. Contrary to that, I am also convinced it IS on the web somewhere. On the Mission Essential Unit (MEU) thread, Grey Havoc mentions he found the paper here, but that was just short of a decade ago; I reached out to him, and he no longer has it. I'm not sure what else I can do. I find references to the study all over, but not the actual study itself. I'm getting frustrated and I really think it can help me with a project I'm working on. Can anyone with more experience finding papers like this help me?

TLDR:
Study Name: 1988 Surface Combatants Force Requirements Study (SCFRS)
Problem: Can't Find It
Previous posts say it IS on the internet somewhere

Last edited:
Any idea what the file names would be? A letter/number combo perhaps?

Dang. I would not be surprised if I have it somewhere but I'm not great about renaming the files to reflect their titles.

Maybe OrionBlamBlam? (Don't know if he collects navy stuff though.)

Any idea what the file names would be? A letter/number combo perhaps?
Did some digging today.
SCFRS has some kind of identifying number combination. It is: "03/8S5282038". The corresponding study that focuses on ship characteristics, rather than force requirements has the ID of: "03/8S577900". Both seem to be published/written by Group Mike, which I believe has the ID of "OP-03K". Can you take a quick look?