Hypersonic Design Reduces Drag -AVWeek blog entry

DSE

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

Attachments

• 5a4e28b7-14bf-478d-a854-0d611fd3dce7.Full.jpg
    5a4e28b7-14bf-478d-a854-0d611fd3dce7.Full.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 39
Ooookay.... the "reason" for the over-under design was to allow using a single inlet over having an inlet for each engine and was designed to reduce drag....

How is adding another set of inlets "reducing" drag exactly? The patent makes the "point" that intake covers for the turbojets can be used as compression and expansion ramps but I'm not really seeing how that's going to help drag all that much over internal covers?

Randy

RanulfC said:
Ooookay.... the "reason" for the over-under design was to allow using a single inlet over having an inlet for each engine and was designed to reduce drag....

How is adding another set of inlets "reducing" drag exactly? The patent makes the "point" that intake covers for the turbojets can be used as compression and expansion ramps but I'm not really seeing how that's going to help drag all that much over internal covers?

Not that I get the patent, but my thought is just take the over/under concept and turn it on its side. Hence reducing the overall cross-sectional area of the vehicle, which definitely helps with transonic drag. Can you get a vehicle that still closes over the mission, is my question?