Hurricane with a gunner.

swallow

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

I'm searching for a picture or drawing of a Hawker Hurricane with a machinegun in the cockpit !
Anyone knowing more ?

Swallow.

This, from Putnam's 'Hawker', page 268 :-

"The F.36/34 design was accepted and in February 1935
a contract was raised for the manufacture of a prototype
to have provision for an armament of four guns - a Vickers
gunon each side of the nose, and either a Vickers or a
Browning in each wing..."

And... there is a picture of the prototype Hurricane, fitted
with a Vickers gun in the cockpit, within reach of the pilot.
I know, I've seen it. Where, though, is another matter.
I think it might be in an 'Air Enthusiast'. Can anyone help here?

cheers,
Robin.

Thanks a lot, Justo. From this principle, I have invented a similar Mustang (for what-if friends at http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,4461.540.html ). Many famous airplanes have maybe been modified like this on the field, and rare archives may reveal them someday. (I hope this will be, enriching the warbirds' subject).

Dear Trophe,

Two-seater conversions are more common now than they were during WW2. Back then, they sometimes removed radios or fuel tanks to cram a second pilot into any remaining space.

As early as May 1944, General Eisenhower ordered radios and a fuel tank removed from a P-51B (razorback) to allow him to personally survey D-Day beaches.

Many modern warbirds have armour, radios and rear fuel tanks removed to make space for after-market rear seats.
For example, the USAF only bought a handful of two-seat, dual-control TF-51 Mustangs, and most of them have disappeared. However, dozens of privately-owned P-51Ds have been retrofitted with second seats.
Similarly, only a handful of original Hawker Sea Furies were built with double Malcolm hood canopies, but several flying in the USA have been retrofitted with larger bubble canopies and second seats.
When I worked for Butler Parachute Systems, I packed a variety of custom-fitted pilot emergency parachutes for a bewildering array of warbirds.

Now several British warbird owners are retro-fitting their Spitfires, Hurricanes and Buchons (Spanish-built Me-109) with second seats and selling rides for thousands of dollars. Hurricane conversions resemble the Russian example, while Spitfire and Me-109 conversions are based upon wartime production patterns. Sounds like a good way to pay the (hellacious) operating expense and keep them flying.