How would you shape a BWB of hybrid body wing aircraft?

malipa

TU Delft AE student
Reaction score
If you look at the design of a flying wing it is almost impossible to increase the lift using flaperons without changing the angle of attack. What do you see as a solution for this great concept?

You mean to say that deflecting the flaps downward induces a nose-down pitching moment, right? If I recall correctly, the B-2 has relaxed longitudinal stability so that its natural tendency is to pitch the nose up when control input is not taken into consideration. I imagine this nose-up moment helps cancel out the nose-down moment generated by flap deflection. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. Of course this only takes you so far.
I think slats can help increase lift without as much pitching moment generation. You could also put more sweep on the wing and put more download on the tips, but it ends up cancelling the benefits you are trying to achieve...
A lot of flying wing designs have been proposed with pop-out canards, that ought to provide plenty of trim authority, it's just that the added complication is not seen as worth it. I think Flateric posted a Northrop patent about that recently.
More in general Flying wings tend to have lower wing loading, so that offsets partially the lower CLmax on takeoff (but hurts other flying characteristics!)