• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

How about: "The SPF Library"

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
As recently mentioned, the CGRIS site with the Jim Penland files went kaput, taking all those files with it. How much storage capacity does the SPF have? Would it make sense to have an archive of its own? I know you can add files to posts, but perhaps a dedicated directory - on Dropbox or some such - that can be browsed, searched, added-to and *not* deleted from could be useful.

I could fill in a quarter or so of the Penland files.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another member downloaded a bunch of files too so hopefully we can combine and recover most of them.
Capacity is basically unlimited but costs money.

It's a good idea to think about.

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
There could be "request" posts, "answer" posts and "weekly/monthly here's the new stuff" posts. Scraping all the PDFs already added in the forum into an archive somewhere... dunno if it'd be as easy as copy/paste, or if it would be a labor intensive nightmare. But if there was a single archive, you can bet that there'd be some forum members who would keep full copies, so when something inevitably happens to the SPF - New Zealand gets swallowed by a tsunami or whacked by a CME, say - it can be reconstituted.

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Its a great idea but surely would need quite a bit of work to keep it organised and to prevent it becoming a dumping ground for material gleaned from Wiki and similar, not to mention duplications.

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
Its a great idea but surely would need quite a bit of work to keep it organised and to prevent it becoming a dumping ground for material gleaned from Wiki and similar, not to mention duplications.
Agreed. A way to make it not suck would be to have the archive be administered, so that only useful submissions get sent there. Anyone (or any forum member) could look at the archive and download, but regular schmoes would not be able to alter or delete files. Submissions would be by way of the current posting system; if a post is pointless or redundant, the attached file would not go to the archive (and the post could be deleted). That sub-forum could be administered with an iron hand, with strictly enforced rules about "post useful stuff, make relevant requests and discussion, and otherwise keep your yap shut."

zebedee

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Fantastic idea... couple of thoughts, firstly Copyright. How would this be policed? Secondly Meta-data. A comprehensive set of meta data for all entries would make the archive exceptionally useful, new entries could have it as part of the upload process (dates, relevant people, companies, organisation, associated project etc), entries scraped form existing posts have it added at a later date... this would be a *cough* big job...

Zeb

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
Fantastic idea... couple of thoughts, firstly Copyright. How would this be policed?

If it starts off as a collection of files that *used* to be on public archives - CGRIS, DTIC, NTRS, etc. - but got lost over the years due to website changes and entropy, copyright would not seem to be an issue. The usual rules of the forum, such as "don't post meaningful chunks of books that can and should be purchased," would seem to be a useful rule to continue.

Archibald

Reaction score
I've long wanted to share the many tons of Pdf I have on my HD but I really don't know where and how to start. Be warned: 90% of the stuff is space-related. Notably RLVs.

UpForce

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I've thought along these lines as well, but was worried that an organizing effort could have an unnecessarily disruptive effect on the "flow" of the site (for the regular visitor, at least).

Very strict administering of an archive may not be necessary as not many people will really have the wherewithal to actually do any actual work on it , at least if the example set by Wikipedia is anything to go by. A core group of capable archivists will emerge. Some safeguards (backup ability) may be necessary to guard against malicious activity because, you know, the web.

If this should be done here, proceed thoughtfully. "Move slowly and preserve things" is my wish.