Horten 229 RC -new here-anyone had fly this one before??

diegus777

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello :) im new here, and im about to finish this ho229, anyone had tips about how to fly this airplane? anything will be apreccited...i had fly zagi wings which are similar but tips for this one are not worthless :) just don`t want to crash it ahaha
DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0131.JPG

V-tail mixer to get elevon type mixing. Put the c.g. as far forward as possible. Avoid hand-launching -- hi-start recommended. Use a receiver with a built in (or will accept a module) flight-controller -- you'll need the artificial stability. This thing will be a total bitch in pitch.

Find someone to do your first flight and trim the beast before you grab the transmitter. Rotsa Ruck!

David

Hi david, thanks for you advices!!, yes i had the suspicion that this guy wil be "bitch in pitch" ahaha....i was thinking in a gyroscope...will it work also??..i never tried artificial stability...im new in this systems used to fly the old fashion way the few airplanes that i have...

Hi david, thanks for you advices!!, yes i had the suspicion that this guy wil be "bitch in pitch" ahaha....i was thinking in a gyroscope...will it work also??..i never tried artificial stability...im new in this systems used to fly the old fashion way the few airplanes that i have...

Get yourself a flight-simulator with 'wing' configured subjects. Play with that. Spend the bucks for a system that permits you to plug in perimeters such as c.g., wing-loading, mix ratios, and pitch-yaw-roll rates. Fly-crash-analyze-repeat. Keep hitting 'reset' till you stop turning the thing into a lawn-dart.

David

Yaw may also cause a few problems. Don't obsess about trying to achieve a 'bell shaped lift distribution' and through that all that proverse yaw malarkey because the Hortens didn't either. My advice would be to use plenty of reflex on the outboard elevons and balance that with an artificially forward C/G location. Oh, and don't slow it down.

I wish you the very best of luck.....

Get yourself a flight-simulator with 'wing' configured subjects. Play with that. Spend the bucks for a system that permits you to plug in perimeters such as c.g., wing-loading, mix ratios, and pitch-yaw-roll rates. Fly-crash-analyze-repeat. Keep hitting 'reset' till you stop turning the thing into a lawn-dart.

David
sounds a bit expensive..but what the hell ! im already on this aha..thanks so much for your advices!! i surely try that!

Yaw may also cause a few problems. Don't obsess about trying to achieve a 'bell shaped lift distribution' and through that all that proverse yaw malarkey because the Hortens didn't either. My advice would be to use plenty of reflex on the outboard elevons and balance that with an artificially forward C/G location. Oh, and don't slow it down.

I wish you the very best of luck.....
thanks i will need it !! still looking for a system that control all this , so far only found gyroscopes in my area..but glad to know now what i need for this airplane...regards!!

For the yaw axis, a gyro won't help unless you have drag rudders / spoilers on your 229. Have you thought about removing the fins from one of your Zagis and seeing what changes are needed to get it back under control? Might be a good way of 'de-risking' the test flights of your 229...?

yes it won`t help,:confused: i didn`t build it with spoilers, but in case i don`t find a good flight controller and put spoilers : when the airplane starts to yaw...i just activate them and the airplane will stop to do so?? what is the trick on using the spoilers??

For the yaw axis, a gyro won't help unless you have drag rudders / spoilers on your 229. Have you thought about removing the fins from one of your Zagis and seeing what changes are needed to get it back under control? Might be a good way of 'de-risking' the test flights of your 229...?
yes it won`t help,:confused: i didn`t build it with spoilers, but in case i don`t find a good flight controller and put spoilers : when the airplane starts to yaw...i just activate them and the airplane will stop to do so?? what is the trick on using the spoilers??

Tailless aircraft that also lack fins (Horten types, B2 Spirit, Taranis etc) typically use either split flaps near the tips or small spoilers also near the tips to give a yaw effect by their differential use. If you move the C/G further forward than that which you would otherwise, balance that with more reflex AND keep the speed up, you may well get away without these 'drag rudders / spoilers'. I'd really urge you to modify one of your Zagis to make it into a 229trainer so you get a feel for such models before flying your proper 229.....

Tailless aircraft that also lack fins (Horten types, B2 Spirit, Taranis etc) typically use either split flaps near the tips or small spoilers also near the tips to give a yaw effect by their differential use. If you move the C/G further forward than that which you would otherwise, balance that with more reflex AND keep the speed up, you may well get away without these 'drag rudders / spoilers'. I'd really urge you to modify one of your Zagis to make it into a 229trainer so you get a feel for such models before flying your proper 229.....
i understand, i was watching the horten schematics yesterday night and they have small spoilers near the tips...i will build them and put them in the right place...i wil make them work in different channels in the radio acting "as a tail" in the radio , so i can control the yaw, :) and yes the 229trainer is a good idea!!

For information about flying your Ho-229, you can find a lot on the Nurflügel (Flying Wing) Forums on RC Groups or the German RC-Network.de site. There have been a number of Ho-229 builds and many of them had problems. You didn't say where the design of your model came from, but if it was from plans or a kit, someone on one of these forums may have built one and gone through their test flight program and learned from the experience and made tweaks to make their plane flyable. Ho-229s are tough because they are flying wings, have no vertical surfaces, and ducted fans are another complication. They generally do not fly well right off the building board.

Your model is very nice, but there are a lot of things you have to get just right to get an Ho-229 to fly well. You might build a boilerplate simplified model to get flying experience on and crash and fix and save your nice model for when you have the skills to easily keep a model in the air.

You will need to register on these sites to be able to do searches and post.

RC Groups Nurflügel Forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/nurfl-gel-762/

RC-Network.de Nurflügel Forum: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forumdisplay.php/22-Nurflügel