Hispano Aviación HS-50

Apophenia

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The site mentioned by Moonbat also has images of Hispano Aviación's HS-50 mock-up at San Jacinto.
http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/Spain.htm

Can anyone tell me if the HS-50 was ever built? Was this identical to the Dewoitine D.600 (ie: was the D.600 designed for Spain)? Or was the HS-50 simply a D.600 derivative?

Attachments

Pepe Rezende

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Apophenia said:
The site mentioned by Moonbat also has images of Hispano Aviación's HS-50 mock-up at San Jacinto.
http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/Spain.htm

Can anyone tell me if the HS-50 was ever built? Was this identical to the Dewoitine D.600 (ie: was the D.600 designed for Spain)? Or was the HS-50 simply a D.600 derivative?
According Jean Cunny's Les Avions Dewoitine the HS50 was the Dewoitine D.600 Spanish version. It never were built. Spanish Air Force chosen the BF109G. Cunny said there was two versions, a long nose, that with the needle front, and a short nose, with a Spitfire 9 similar front.

Cheers

Pepe

Apophenia

Reaction score
Many thanks Pepe and Justo. The short-nosed version is interesting (suggesting an engine other than the HS12Z, perhaps?).

Anyway, I guess "del abortado caza" says it all. Nice mockup though ;D

Justo, I'd guess that the 'colourized' 3-view was based on your, better-quality version.

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Do you have also a drawing and technical data for the Dewoitine D.600? :eek:

Justo Miranda

Reaction score
Wingspan: 10.9 m
Lenght :8.85 m
Height 3.55 m
Engine: Hispano Suiza HS 12 Z
Armament : One Hispano Suiza HS 404 engine 20 mm canon an four 7.5 mm band feed machine guns in the wings

Retrofit

Reaction score
Maveric said:
Do you have also a drawing and technical data for the Dewoitine D.600? :eek:
In fact, the two references HS-50 and D-600 corespond to the same project, the HS-50 was the Hispano-Suiza reference and D-600 was the Dewoitine reference.

Hereafter another 3V drawing from the book "Le Dewoitine 520" by Raymond Danel and Jean Cuny, Docavia, Ed. Lariviere;

Attachments

Pepe Rezende

Reaction score
Apophenia said:
Many thanks Pepe and Justo. The short-nosed version is interesting (suggesting an engine other than the HS12Z, perhaps?).

Anyway, I guess "del abortado caza" says it all. Nice mockup though ;D

Justo, I'd guess that the 'colourized' 3-view was based on your, better-quality version.
All versions would use the HS12Z. The only diference is the engine mounting, lower in the long nose version.

Pepe

Jan den Das

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Hai
Is there some one who can give an answer concerning the fighter project from Argentine?
There they have a Dewoitine project FMA I.Ae.26 D-600 and what I understand is that the D-600 stands for Dewoitine D-600, because the Pulqui I was the D-700.
Who has information, everything concerning the I-Ae.26?
Jan

Apophenia

Reaction score
From: http://www.argothypermedia.com/fma/19431955/19431955_08e.html

(I've rearranged and cleaned up the 3-view a bit.)

PROYECTO I.AE. 26 D - 600
Conventional fighter (designed by Ing. Emile Dewoitine) with powerplant options of Rolls Royce Merlin III of 1030 hp (delivery of which was denied by Britain after a series of solicitations by the FMA) or Daimler Benz DB 601A inverted V12 of 1,100 HP (to be provided by Spain). The Project is cancelled in favour of the B-700 (I.Ae.27) Pulqui I.

Characteristics: span 10.20 m; length 8.90 m; wing area 15.92 m²; weight empty 2,090 kg; gross weight 2,740 kg; terminal velocity 560 km/h; theoretical ceiling 10,000 m; range 1,400 km; armament: one 20mm HS-404, four 7,50 mm MAC 1934 M39 machine guns.

Attachments

redstar72

Soviet Aviation enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Justo & Apophenia! Very interesting projects, I didn't know them before. While the HS-50 is a typical Dewoitine, the I.Ae.26 looks not very Dewoitine-like. The repositioned cockpit and the bubble canopy completely changed its appearance. As for me, there is something Focke-Wulf-like in it.

I didn't understand one thing: both of these, very different airplanes were designated by Dewoitine as "D-600"?

Jan den Das

Reaction score
Hai
Its just what redstar mentioned it did not look much like a Dewoitine design.
The drawing is also incomplete. There is no cowling, only under the nose the cowling for the oil.
Is/are there any better drawings and/or more details?

Apophenia

Reaction score
Jan: I'm not aware of better-quality drawings of the I.AE.26.

By "cowling" you meant a housing for a coolant radiator? Considering the poor quality of this drawing, I don't think we can assume that the under-nose fixture is for an oil-cooler only.

redstar: Yes, the two D-600 projects seem completely unrelated. As for the I.AE.26 not being very Dewoitine-like, I would agree that there is no great resemblance to other Dewoitine fighter designs. I see similarities with some of Dewoitine's non-fighter projects though.

burunduk

I love the history of airplanes
Reaction score
Very interesting stuff, muchas gracias.

It seems, D-600 was prepared during the occupation? In what year?

And when the project I.Ae.26 was made? After WW2?

Apophenia

Reaction score
The I.Ae.26 was a wartime project but never built.

arc3371

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
The IAe 26 seem like a very interesting project

lucamax

Reaction score
Website
www.res-aeronautica.com
Hi,
I made a color profile of a hypothetical prototype of the airplane (IAE.26). I apologize for the quality not very good of the Profile: I'm working to improve myself! ;D

Attachments

Apophenia

Reaction score
Like lucamax, I had a stab at 'reconstructing' the I.Ae.26 fighter. A few problems popped up with that original 3-view drawing.

The major difficulty is that the engine and propeller spinner do not scale with that of the Bf-109E. Since the exhaust outlets and supercharger intake should be relatively constant, I've used those to scale the DB601A with the airframe. As can be seen, this results in a noticably shorter forward fuselage.

I fear that we must conclude that the original I.Ae.26 3-view drawing was crudely rendered.

Attachments

lark

Reaction score
Excellent work Stephen..
Thanks a lot.

lucamax

Reaction score
Website
www.res-aeronautica.com
congratulations Apophenia it is great! Thank you very much for the superb reconstruction of the plane. In comparison my profile is the scribble of a child! :)

Pepe Rezende

Reaction score
Apophenia said:
Like lucamax, I had a stab at 'reconstructing' the I.Ae.26 fighter. A few problems popped up with that original 3-view drawing.

The major difficulty is that the engine and propeller spinner do not scale with that of the Bf-109E. Since the exhaust outlets and supercharger intake should be relatively constant, I've used those to scale the DB601A with the airframe. As can be seen, this results in a noticably shorter forward fuselage.

I fear that we must conclude that the original I.Ae.26 3-view drawing was crudely rendered.
You must use the DB605 engine, probably its Italian version.

Apophenia

Reaction score
Cheers folks :)

Pepe Rezende said:
You must use the DB605 engine, probably its Italian version.
Interesting notion Pepe. Assuming availability of the Fiat RA 1050 R.C.58 Tifone, the project gains 250 hp. And, as you suggest, the DB605's extra 43 cm of length would push the nose forward again.

The ongoing difficulty is that I.Ae.26 references specifically mention a Spanish-provided DB601A.