Hill Helicopters' GT 50 engine

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hill Helicopters announced both their new HX helicopter and GT 50 engine in August of 2020. Hill has chosen the rare path of developing both a new airframe and new engine simultaneously.

The GT 50 gas turbine engine is projected to produce 400 horsepower, similar to the Rolls-Royce Allison 250, PT6A, SAFRAN, etc. engines powering current production light helicopters (2 to 6 seat).

Hill GT 50 is unusual in having three, external, reverse-flow, burner cans arranged radially around the middle of the engine casing. In comparison, RR/Allison uses a single burner can while most other engines have annular combustion chambers that are standard on all larger turbine engines.
What are the advantages of using 1 to 3 burner cans versus annular combustion chambers?
Are burner cans simpler to manufacture?
Are they better suited to small turbine engines (400 horsepower)?

www.hillhelicopters.com

I think using three burners instead of one brings the packae closer to an anular combustion chamber. It might be a good compromize which keeps the combustion stability of the burner cans, makes flow distribution easier compared to a single burner and might add reduncy against flame outs.

BTW, the Chrysler turbine car with its can burners could operate with gazoline, Diesel fuel, Channel No.5, Wiskey....

I would like to know the bsfc of it...

Last edited:
I am watching the pre tomorrows event here in my neck of the woods, IWM

cheers hill_helicopters.jpg

A centrifugal compressor, reverse flow annular combustor, and a free power turbine. Just like a PT6 from the 1960’s in layout.

A centrifugal compressor, reverse flow annular combustor, and a free power turbine. Just like a PT6 from the 1960’s in layout.
Looks more optimized for helicopter use than a small PT6 or 250. Those scroll tubes on the 250 are damage magnets!