Henschel Hs 121 fighter trainer

Jan den Das

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
The first build Henschel was the Hs 121 fighter trainer.
This small aeroplane had several modifications, rudder landing gear etc.
Who can help me with more information?
Pictures would be very helpfull, but also old, pre war, publications?
Detail dimensions would also be interresting?
Every small detail is welcome?
Thanks
Jan

...a good known picture and a 3view drawing...

Attachments

• Henschel Hs-121.jpg
    Henschel Hs-121.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 463
The HS 121 was built as a contender to the Fw 56, He 74 and Ar 76 as an advanced fighter trainer, following
an RLM specification from spring 1933. After building and presenting a mock-up in September 1933, the
prototype HS 121 V-1 was first flown on the 4th of January 1934. After a crash on the 30th of January
development work was proceeded with using the V-2 (D-EOVA) which remained the last aircraft of this type.
Some data AS 10C engine with 147 kW/200 hp, length 7.30 m, span 10.0 m, height 2.30 m, empty weight
710 kg. take-off weight 960 kg, max. ceiling 6,500 m, max speed 278 km/h, landing speed 88 km/h,
could be fitted out with two MG 17 for training or use as "Heimatschutzjäger" ( Home defense fighter).
Pictures and data from Grieh "Typenkompass Henschel" and Novarra "Die deutsche Luftrüstung 1933 - 1945"

Edit: Ah, Maveric beat me to that ! ;)
Maybe an intersting 3-view (source unknown to me) can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27862259@N02/6835218252/
trim tabs and other details are shown and the cooling intakes are different.

Attachments

• HS-121_04.jpg
    HS-121_04.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 53
  • HS-121_03.jpg
    HS-121_03.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 376
  • HS-121_02.jpg
    HS-121_02.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 411
  • HS-121_01.jpg
    HS-121_01.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 443
...the data sheet...

Attachments

• Henschel Hs-121.doc
    566 KB · Views: 25
Thanks guys.
My conclusion until now is, that the picture taken from left/front is the V-1 and the one of the right is the V-2.

If any one has more information/matreials, please show it?
Has some one something what shows the V-2 with its registration?

Jan

I found no photo of the HS 121 with registration, but more careful reading of the Novarra book and searching via Google
showed, that here again we have conflicting statements, as several sources (including Novarra) say, that only one aircraft
was actually built ! After the crash of the V-1 (this incident is mentioned nearly in all sources), the aircraft is said to have been
rebuilt, incorporating and enlarged fin, additional struts for the landing gear and for the tailplane.
Not sure, which version is correct, as it is said, the Hs 121 was regarded as a kind of certificate of competence for Henschel, so
maybe really only one example was built ?

Hi all
From an old "air international"

Attachments

• hs121.jpg
    hs121.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 67
According to William Green's 'Warplanes of the Third Reich', three Hs 121 aircraft were ordered. The second Hs 121 was completed as the Hs 125a low-wing monoplane, the third was completed as the Hs 125b which was almost identical to the Hs 125a.
William Green identifies the Hs 125b as D-EKAN, and says the Hs 125 employed more than 90% of the Hs 121's parts. A new carry-through structure for the low-mounted wing was the most obvious change from the Hs 121, the wing itself was virtually unchanged.
The Hs 125 handled better than the Hs 121.

'Die Deutsche Luftfahrt - Typenhandbuch der deutschen Luftfahfrttechnik' by Bruno Lange. Bernard & Graefe 1986 says the registrations D-EKAN and D-IEHA were used for the two Hs 125 aircraft.

Combining the two sources, the Hs 125a can be identified as D-IEHA.

3-view found here: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ww2planes/henschel/46383/view/henschel_hs_125/

Attachments

• henschel-hs-125.png
    henschel-hs-125.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 77
Yes, the Hs 125 directly descended from the Hs 121, that's what I've found, too. But it is said, that
parts, that were originally destined for the V-2 and V-3 were actually used, although a second
Hs 121 airframe was finished (later ?) and designated Hs 121 V-2. To me, an explanation could be,
that the crashed and heavily damaged V-1 was rebuilt and maybe due to the need for a lot of
new parts was regarded as a "new" aircraft by some, bvut still as the "old" one by others.
Pure speculation, of course, I'll try to get Horst Maternas book "Die Geschichte der Henschel-Flug-
zeugwerke AG 1933 - 45" next week from the library. It's said to be sorrowly researched, maybe it'll
offer a more reliable answer.

A source explicitely mentioning the V-2 is http://www.airhistory.org.uk/gy/reg_D-a8.html , generally regarded
as reliable. Another point, that makes me believing, that there actually were two prototypes are the dates for
first flight ( 4th of Janura 1934) and for the crash (30th of January 1934). If these dates are correct, there
would have been hardly time enough to incorporate the changes, that are recognisable in the available photos.

Found more or less accidentally this morning, another (and to my opinion even better) 3-view
from "Die deutschen Militärflugzeuge 1919 - 1934" by Helmut Stützer. A reliable source to my opinion,
but the author remains a little bit ambigous about the number of aircraft built, I would regard it as mentioning
just one example.

Attachments

• Hs-121a_05.jpg
    Hs-121a_05.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 66
As mentioned recently, I've got today my hands on the book "Die Geschichte der Henschel-
Flugzeugwerke AG 1933 - 45" by Horst Materna. Here the story goes somewhat different as
follows: As recommended by the RLM Henschel (HFW) joined the tender for an advanced fighter
trainer with their first own design which was offered parallel (!) in two different layouts. So, the
Hs 125 was just an alternative design to the Hs 121, the later designation just the result of the
fact, that the numbers 122 to 124 were already allocated. The design work began for both types
on 2nd of May 1933 and the mock-ups were presented on 28th of July and 14th of September
1933. The Hs 121 V-1, firts flown on the 4th of January 1934 crashed on the 30th of that month
and was a complete write-off, so the V-2 was built. In the meantime, the Hs 125 V-1 was readied
for flight and one year later the V-2. All the examples of the Hs 121 and 125 were then tested in
Schönefeld near Berlin.
So, still no definitive answer, but this book seems to be largely based on original documents.

Jemiba said:
As mentioned recently, I've got today my hands on the book "Die Geschichte der Henschel-Flugzeugwerke AG 1933 -
45" by Horst Materna. Here the story goes somewhat different as follows: As recommended by the RLM Henschel (HFW)
joined the tender for an advanced fighter trainer with their first own design which was offered parallel (!) in two different
layouts. So, the Hs 125 was just an alternative design to the Hs 121, the later designation just the result of the fact, that
the numbers 122 to 124 were already allocated. The design work began for both types on 2nd of May 1933 and the mock-
ups were presented on 28th of July and 14th of September 1933. The Hs 121 V-1, firts flown on the 4th of January 1934
crashed on the 30th of that month and was a complete write-off, so the V-2 was built. In the meantime, the Hs 125 V-1 was
readied for flight and one year later the V-2. All the examples of the Hs 121 and 125 were then tested in Schönefeld near Berlin.
So, still no definitive answer, but this book seems to be largely based on original documents.

Very interesting and also very logical!

I personally trust more the words of a physician that has a specialization in the part that's aching than those of a general practitioner who knows a bit about everything but has no specialization... And in the same way, I would tend to trust much more a book whose author specialized on that particular subject and researched it thoroughly, rather than an umpteenth general book on German airplanes that has a bit of everything but no thorough research for all types... And so I'll go for that version of the Hs 121/125 story!