Help with French WWI oversea cruiser project

trajan

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Anyone know something about French WWI oversea cruiser project?
there's a resource said that it was a large ship with 3 or 4 triple 240mm guns,over7000t.and designed between 1914 and 1916.Finally cancelled with Normandy class battleship.

there's a resource said that it was a large ship with 3 or 4 triple 240mm guns

Triple guns seems pretty strange, considering that France at this point preferred dual or quadruple ones.
yep I even don't know this strange project a few days ago.....
I knew this from a conversation with someone. I complain about how stupidthat WARGAMING built a ship called Henry IV using triple 240mm torrents than someone told me their was a deisgn used triple 240mm guns in WWI.

At first i think this is a tirck . however since I found the 431mm gun in WOWS is truth. I think WG really make some rearsch...
(In this book page59 describe a design Of 431mm gun)

7f7949a98226cffcd659d326b7014a90f703eaf4-1.png

finally I give up and ask for help.....

Me too never heard of it. To my knowledge the only cruiser related development of the French Navy in WW1 was the Abortive Lamoutte Piqoutte Scout cruiser and it's preliminaries of 1913-15 with an offshot eventually leading to the Duguay-Trouin Class.

The closest thing to your info is a Duquesne pre design of 12.000tons and 4x2 240mm Guns from 1920.

Also what yo describe of a cruiser with 3x3 or 4x3 240mm guns on 7.000tons seems quite problematic even without side protection!

ennnnnnnn.maybe my memory go wrong.... wait,French really has plan about 240mm gun cruiser?
Me too never heard of it. To my knowledge the only cruiser related development of the French Navy in WW1 was the Abortive Lamoutte Piqoutte Scout cruiser and it's preliminaries of 1913-15 with an offshot eventually leading to the Duguay-Trouin Class.

The closest thing to your info is a Duquesne pre design of 12.000tons and 4x2 240mm Guns from 1920.

Also what yo describe of a cruiser with 3x3 or 4x3 240mm guns on 7.000tons seems quite problematic even without side protection!

There is another interesting thing:
a file said that French company design a long 16inch gun for Soviet navy from 1935 to 1938 . and they sent the blueprint to Soviet. then B37 long barrel 16 Inch gun come.
At same time ansaldo company design UP41 for Soviet.
at first Soyuz class design to use British engine.
So Soyuz class has french gun,Italian body,Soviet fire control,British engine?
can we call he a European battleship?

It was only mentioned in one of the Warship International articles (Will post it later) very minimal info:
1920 design date, 240mm armament, 12.000tons, steam turbines, nothing more.
Note 1920 was still pre WNT so such large cruiser are still allowed to be designed.

It was only mentioned in one of the Warship International articles (Will post it later) very minimal info:
Note 1920 was still pre WNT so such large cruiser are still allowed to be designed.
Hmmmmm. WNT really change the fate of those giants...Without it,maybe we can see American "standard battleships"fight with IJN's fast battleships in 1930s? what a pity! Xo

ennnnnnnn.maybe my memory go wrong.... wait,French really has plan about 240mm gun cruiser?
Not so much plans as considerations; as with other naval powers, French recognized that the gap between 5000-ton light cruiser and 20.000-ton battlecruiser is uncomfortably big, and it may be practical to have something invetween, cheap enough to be mass-produced, but armed heavy enough to not be completely outclassed by heavier units.

would you please to recommend some books invitea the French navy ship designs during WWI and WWII

Not so much plans as considerations; as with other naval powers, French recognized that the gap between 5000-ton light cruiser and 20.000-ton battlecruiser is uncomfortably big, and it may be practical to have something invetween, cheap enough to be mass-produced, but armed heavy enough to not be completely outclassed by heavier units.
so they design and build big and fast destoryers for same reason? between 2000_ton classic destoryer and 5000_ton light cruiser? or just a reply to Italian?

would you please to recommend some books invitea the French navy ship designs during WWI and WWII
John Jordan and Robert Dumas's French Battleships 1922-56
there should be an accompanying cruisers book as well:
John Jordan and Jean Moulins's French Cruisers 1922-56
And the Destroyer part:
John Jordan and Jean Moulins's French Destroyers: Torpilleurs d'Escadres and Contre-Torpilleurs, 1922-56

I don't know what WW1 era cruiser books out there for the French Navy

There is another interesting thing:
a file said that French company design a long 16inch gun for Soviet navy from 1935 to 1938 . and they sent the blueprint to Soviet. then B37 long barrel 16 Inch gun come.
At same time ansaldo company design UP41 for Soviet.
at first Soyuz class design to use British engine.
So Soyuz class has french gun,Italian body,Soviet fire control,British engine?
can we call he a European battleship?
The soviet 16" were basically an enlarged variant of the Italian 15", so much more Italian guns than French

:D
My French is basically non existent :D

Why not use good old "SOS" instead of "Help!" in the name of this maritime-related thread?
:cool:

I remember this one on the World of Warships "warships Projects" site:
Does anyone have any drawings or designs of cruisers found in the 1920 issue of the American Society of Naval Engineers? It mentions on page 216 several designs being considered by the "Conseil Superieur". These are:

5,300 tons 32knts eight 5.5 inch 55 caliber guns
6,000 tons 35knts eight 5.5 inch 60 caliber guns
7,600 tons 33knts six 7.6 inch guns
8,500 tons 33knts five 8 inch guns

In 1919 there were plans for a 4,750 tons cruiser with eight 5.5 inch guns and 30 knots speed. I presume this is some kind of "follow on" design to the 1915 Lamotte Picquet. Is there any more information about these?

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/6481-

This one was never answered as far as I can see.

Dave