T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
In 1945 Heinkel began development of a bomber which was propelled by four jet engines.
This bomber has the layout of the later Victor bomber used by the RAF, a delta wing with a T shaped tail.
This bomber was capable to reach long distance targets I believe even targets into the US.
I'm looking for detailed drawings or original blue prints of this design,I hope someone can help me with these
items or other pics.

Like this?. Very interesting; from Fantastic-Plastic models.

Regards
Fran

Attachments

• HeinkelLong-RangeBomber6[1].jpg
    HeinkelLong-RangeBomber6[1].jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 303
  • HeinkelLong-RangeBomber-Profile[1].jpg
    HeinkelLong-RangeBomber-Profile[1].jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 302
Better Source:
http://www.xplanes3d.com/Projects/LRJB/webpages/lrjb_thumbs.html
A 3-view general arrangement drawing is featured on page 69 in this book:
Luftwaffe Secret Projects - Strategic Bombers 1935-1945, Dieter Herwig and Heinz Rode (Midland Press)

The range is unrealistic.

Even if the fuel, fuel efficiency and take-off weight were OK enough, the engines had a major maintenance interval that was (in hours) shorter than such a long flight.

From the intakes can we assume that the version illustrated is that with six Jumo 004s?

Just a quick typing on the pocket calculator:
With Jumo 004 this design would have needed about 45 tons of fuel
to reach New York from a point in the west of Germany. For comparison,
the Me 262, powered by two Jumo 004 had a MTOW of about 7 tons.
Ah, and if this bomber would have been expected to return the amount of
fuel would be much more of course, not twice, because weight for the return
trip would be greatly reduced, but just as a guesstimation perhaps about
70 tons ? If we use about the relation between empty weight and MTOW, as
in the Boeing B 47, we get a take-off weight of about 110 tons, without considering
any armament, of course.
Surely that's not a rough, but a very rough estimation, just using quick googled
data about the Jumo 004 and comparable German jet engines, that perhaps could have
improved figures somewhat, but not to a point, to make such a project realistic.
Pretty sure, that this was known to German designers at the end of WW II and I really
doubt, that there actually were serious considerations to design an intercontinental
jet bomber with the available technology. But, as I often heard from my Grandfathers, in late
war Germany, not only paper was still readily available, but alcohol, too. That could explain
quite a number of those designs ...

The '45 designs were almost all about the Heinkel HeS 11 engine (13 kN), not about the first generation of weaker Jumo 109-004 or BMW 109-003 or even the weak HeS 8.

Also on the HeS 11 they had to sacrifice 1500lbs of thrust because the government would not give them the metal they needed.Von Ohain also said 75pr cent of the r.d was eliminating all of the good metal.

pacopepe said:

Regards
Fran

Yep this is the guy! thanks for the pics!

Rephrasing my earlier question: why would there be three openings per wing intake?

pacopepe said:

Regards
Fran

Thanks for sharing Fran (pacopepe)
Out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea as to what is the British jet fighter's intercepting the Heinkel bomber in the artwork?

Regards
Pioneer

Apophenia said:
Rephrasing my earlier question: why would there be three openings per wing intake?

In the side view you can see three nozzles under the trailing edge, so it seems to be
a design with six engines. With HeS 11 engines, it could have been a useful short to
medium range bomber, kind of replacement for the Ar 234. Intercontinental range surely
would have been impossible to reach with this design.
The fighters in the background could be Hawker P.1048, I think.

Yes, it´s the Hawker P 1048; similar project to Me 262.

All the best
Fran
Pioneer said:
pacopepe said:

Regards
Fran

Thanks for sharing Fran (pacopepe)
Out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea as to what is the British jet fighter's intercepting the Heinkel bomber in the artwork?

Regards
Pioneer

Apophenia said:
From the intakes can we assume that the version illustrated is that with six Jumo 004s?

Look at the size of those intakes! Seems a bit overdone...just as the B-46, a contemporary design, had intakes that seemed too small.

Thanks Jens! -- I hadn't noted the number of jet pipes :p

Johnbr said:
Also on the HeS 11 they had to sacrifice 1500lbs of thrust because the government would not give them the metal they needed.Von Ohain also said 75pr cent of the r.d was eliminating all of the good metal.

We should just note that the HeS 011 never worked as advertised even when the Russians (who were and are the best metalurgists in the world) tinkered with it after the war with access to all the exotic metals their hearts could desire.

I think it would be under powered with the He 011.I would look at the BMW 018.

Attachments

• BMW 018 Pro2.jpg
    BMW 018 Pro2.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 171
Yes, I was going to suggest the big BMW as well. I wasn't aware of the Russians playing the HeS011, but the US, Spain, and Germany noodled on it for some years and it never really worked as advertised.

Remember that for a lot of these very late war projects, the design teams were throwing out all kinds of stuff, not in any realistic hope of anything happening with them, but to keep themselves in busy work, otherwise they'd be drafted into the infantry. Such was the threatened fate of some of the A4 development team when the program was considered sufficently ready for production and they were out of work.