Oldrich Haller & Bohemia (Pilsen) Aircraft & Projects

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi all,

found this article in an old czech L+K 1970, but can´t translate him. Are this early constructions from Haller, who projected later in Germany the two amphibians Ha.22 and Ha.23? Are pics from the H.8 known? Anybody had a short biography of Haller?

Thanks and Servus Maveric

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 475
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 383
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Haller H-9.jpg
    Haller H-9.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 454
Hi Maveric,

no entry in Bruno lange`s "Typenhandbuch...", although I am aware of the Haller Ha22 and 23. I`m afraid I can`y help you, but I am looking forward for someone to enlight us in this interesting subject.

are you sure that picture isnt a clip from the film "those magnificent men and their flying machines"?
he he

Maveric said:
Hi all,

found this article in an old czech L+K 1970, but can´t translate him. Are this early constructions from Haller, who projected later in Germany the two amphibians Ha.22 and Ha.23? Are pics from the H.8 known? Anybody had a short biography of Haller?

Thanks and Servus Maveric

H.8 and H.9 were designed and built by the Czech engineer Oldřich Haller from Plzeň. The name of the German designer was Rudolf Haller, who worked at GMG (Gebrüder Müller Griesheim), where sailplanes and light aircraft have been built between 1924 and 1932 (e. g. GMG I, Ia, II, IIa, V).

Thanks boxkite,

anybody knows the histoy of Oldrich and Rudolf Haller?

Thanks to all

Maveric

And a small Info;

Lifelong desire to build aircraft with vertical takeoff accompanied pilsner air
engineer Oldřich Haller (1893-1953). Undertake a study of aircraft H-8 and H-9 with perpendicular
takeoff, which was nicknamed "Halleroidy". Based on studies built models on which
verified develop unconventional principle of buoyancy - propellers generated airflow bent
shaped fixed to the wings. Finally, there was a building prototypes in actual size,
which have been tested in the years 1928 - 1931 Letňany VLÚS. Haller, however, struggled with
lack of funds prevented him better engine installation
and finally the continuation of the project.

https://www.vutbr.cz/www_base/zav_prace_soubor_verejne.php?file_id=55113

Also there was a Haller H-6 and H-11.

Haller H-6;

http://www.aeroweb.cz/clanek.asp?ID=1354&kategorie=3

Haller ZA-2;

https://www.j2mcl-planeurs.net/dbj2mcl/planeurs-machines/planeur-fiche_0int.php?code=3467

Haller H-11;

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_aircraft_(H)

Hi,

by the way,the designer Oldřich Haller created the Bohemia B-1 to B-4 as an early
aeroplanes before WWI,after the war appeared the B-5,a low-wing two seat trainer
which powered by one N.A.G. engine.

https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemia_B-5

Attachments

• Bohemia_B_5_(01).JPG
    Bohemia_B_5_(01).JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 229
hesham said:
... designer Oldřich Haller created the Bohemia B-1 to B-4 as an early aeroplanes before WWI...

I don't think that is at all clear. Bohemia created the B-1 to B-4 aircraft but it doesn't specifically say that Oldřich Haller was involved in those designs.

BTW: Haller's H-11 was a heavily-modified Aero A-12 reconnaissance biplane. Oldřich Haller converted this machine into a parasol monoplane aircraft with a 5-cylinder radial engine (Walter Vega?) and acrylic cockpit enclosures. AFAIK, only one H-11 conversion was made - OK-AZI.

Attachments

• haller-h-11.JPG
    haller-h-11.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 79
Great Info,thank you my dear Apophenia,

and I will check about B-1 to B-4.

And I don't what was this,a glider ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 71
I didn't found any name, but the biplane glider is mentioned as the first aircraft Heller (and his school buddy, František Šnábl) built and the monoplane glider as the second, in 1910-1911. I doubt they had any "official" name. Better pictures are here: http://slavnostisvobody.cz/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/PANEL-5.pdf
Also, Bohemia B.5 started as classic aicraft, then after the NAG Wright engine "died" it was rebuilt as a glider.
Haller H.6 is mentioned as looking similar to B.5.

Thank you Aubi,

and do you have a drawing or picture to H.6 ?.

Sadly no, all I found were articles about Bohemia B.5 or his VTOL attempts, only some mentions that in 1923 unfinished Haller H-6 "similar to B.5" was destroyed during fire of the hangar of the West Bohemian Aviation Club.

Another build of Oldřich Haller - in 1923 he made a glider ZA-2 (ZA - Západočeský aeroklub) that competed in the Medlánky glider sport competition.

Attachments

• 01-016-1024x721.jpg
    01-016-1024x721.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
From L+K 2/1967.

Attachments

• 1   2-1967.png
    1 2-1967.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 47
So wierd,

here is a Haller ZA-1 ?.

L+K 3/1967

Attachments

• 1   3-1967.png
    1 3-1967.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 52
Yep. Basically, this article explains what happened to the Bohemia Association that built the Bohemia B-5. It was dissolved after their main pilot, Polanecký, took their B-5 to Prague and never returned. They then dissolved their association and started new one, above mentioned Západočeský aeroklub. Again under the leadership of Haller they built a new plane, at first with engine of Haller's construction, soon with refurbished Argus of 98 hp/100 k. This machine, seond aircraft built and flied in the newly founded state, was then used for training of the members of the club and for visiting various aviation events. This plane was one of those burned during the mentioned hangar fire. There's also mentioned unnamed almost finished, but without fabric covering one-seater "aircraft of Balík brothers" that burned there - maybe the mysterious Haller H-6 under disguise, because there's not mentioned any other unfinished airplane amongst the lost machines.

Thank you dear Aubi,

and from L+K 15/1967.

Attachments

• 2   15-1967.png
    2 15-1967.png
    307 KB · Views: 69
From L + K 5/1990,

the B-II,who can get the rest ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    781.9 KB · Views: 55