Grumman V-1710 twin, similar to XF5F ?

brewerjerry

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi
Anyone seen anything info on a Grumman V-1710 twin , something like an inline XF5F ?
cheers
Jerry

I have checked theWhat-if modeller forum with its Search tool, and even there nobody has dared to build or designed a XF5F with inline engines... Sorry. I may try for fun but there, not here (or in the alternate history part). What is your source?

Hi
Thanks for the reply & info, sorry I found the reference during a google search into a radial engined P-38 project, but didn't bookmark the page.
I thought here was the best place to post to see if it was a real project or not.
A long nosed V1710 XF5F could look real nice ....
cheers
Jerry

G-25 was an older design.

G-25: proposed high-altitude single-seat fighter with two Allison V-1710 engines (1937)
G-34: XF5F-1 Skyrocket (1939).

brewerjerry said:
I found the reference during a google search into a radial engined P-38 project, but didn't bookmark the page.
With such a search, Google directed me to: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8118.0 :
Tailspin Turtle said:
My understanding is that Lockheed proposed the P-38-like Model 24 for the 1937 Navy twin-engine carrier-based airplane competition. The engines were air-cooled R-1535s. Ironically, Grumman proposed a V-1710-powered twin. Neither was accepted.
This matches the 1937 date. The reference to XF5F may have been a misinterpretation.