Grumman E-1 Tracer origins?

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Gent's I'm trying to ascertain whether the Grumman E-1 Tracer used the fuselage of the S-2 Tracker, or the larger C-1 Trader as the basis of its design?

Regards
Pioneer

C-1 Trader used the same fuselage as the S-2 Tracker. The E-1 Tracer used the same fuselage (with modifications) as the S-2 Tracker as well IIRC.

I believe the Trader is actually slightly modified from the Tracker. The Trader's fuselage is deeper, giving it a somewhat "pot-bellied" look compared to the Tracker. The Tracer is derived from this slightly larger fuselage version, combined with a fuselage stretch from late versions of the Tracker.

In 'Grumman Aircraft since 1929', Putnam 1989, René Francillon writes the early Tracer design was based on the Tracker. Sometime in the winter of 1955 / spring of 1956...
the TF-1 [Trader] replaced the S2F-1 [Tracker] as the airframe to be used for the radar platform as its more capacious fuselage provided space for additional electronic equipment and for the crew

Pioneer said:
Gent's I'm trying to ascertain whether the Grumman E-1 Tracer used the fuselage of the S-2 Tracker, or the larger C-1 Trader as the basis of its design?

Regards
Pioneer
The C-1 came first. It had a different, deeper fuselage. The E-1B fuselage was based on the C-1's fuselage but with an 18" stretch, different empennage, and different wing fold among other changes. See http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/11/trader-and-tracer.html

Thank you gentleman for your input and clarification!
My question is in relation to my just posted topic - A technical/speculative question if I may?
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26545.msg271559.html#msg271559

Its not so much a 'What If', but rather a sort of feasibility, as I've just been reading about Argentina's Israel Aerospace Industries S-2T Turbo Tracker and Brazil's Marsh Aviation S-2T Airborne Early Warning configuration's

Regards
Pioneer

It's a shame the French Navy never bought a handful of E-1B for the Foch and Clemenceau. Then how about a TurboTracer - E-1B with turboprops ?