Venezuelan Proposed Procurements (US State Cables)

Grumman were apparently quite keen to sell the A-6E Intruder to Venezuela:
Liking and appreciating your post here and on the Grumman S-2 Tracker Opportunistic Minnow.
You've been very busy in your research - thank you!
Grumman were apparently quite keen to sell the A-6E Intruder to Venezuela:
I guess the question that needs to be asked is whether Venezuela was capable of not just operating, but maintaining the A-6E Intruder?

Regards
Pioneer

Thanks @Pioneer. I was quite surprised it was offered and an E model no-less. The impression I got was that Grumman would have been more than happy to provide any technical assistance required. The main stopping point was getting the export of such an advanced piece of hardware greenlit. The US policy of the day would make A-4s a much more likely prospect but if Grumman had had a little more lobbying power.....

Damn, that's an impressive "what if" arsenal for Venezuela. Would have made their air force a vague clone of the USN carrier decks, late 1970's era.

Don't forget that once uppon a time Venezuela had petrodollars like a Gulf oil monarchy - so maybe the plan was to pay for maintenance the Saudia Arabia way ?

And imagine had all those deals went through, the faces of Chavez and Maduro having to pay the maintenance bills to Uncle Sam, they hated so much. :D
They would have had kittens, only thinking about it. Maybe they could have asked their friend Fidel Castro to help paying the bill... oh no forget it. :p:p