• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Gibbs & Cox project 10921-E: The Destroyer for the Soviet Union

Kingpin6100

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been working on this essay for a while, but as it's not a well known project I figured I'd share it here.

The short historical background on this project is simple: When the Soviets came to Gibbs & Cox for battleships in the late 30s, they also looked for some destroyers to be built in the US. 6 design variants are known, but I only have the blueprints for one of them (for now). This was Project 10921-E, which the Soviets intended to buy before Molotov-Ribbentrop and the invasion of Poland put a stop to these efforts.

I'm working to have this published in Warship International, and I'm hoping to compile all of the Gibbs & Cox Soviet export projects into their own book at some point (COVID has severely slowed my efforts with NARA), But that is a while away, and I'll share what I have now.

Essay available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nmOCNEAr8WQ8G_UpwOxKv85hABrqr-4a2nLncNncR9o/edit?usp=sharing

Blueprint images available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nmOCNEAr8WQ8G_UpwOxKv85hABrqr-4a2nLncNncR9o/edit?usp=sharing

Sadly the blueprints themselves were too large to scan, so some of the images are of debatable quality.

I'm working on getting some of the other Gibbs & Cox designs for the Soviets from this time period, but keep in mind the essay itself is a work in progress, and given a lot of the information I'm waiting to pull from NARA, it may heavily change before publication.

ptdockyard

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I would be very interested in further designs by Gibbs and Cox. There is a book in this given the designs they had for the Soviets and things I have seen like the 1940 light destroyer/DE with 2-4", 2-3" and 6-TT.

Dave G.

ptdockyard

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I caught this comment in the text:
" the Soviet delegation was shown 6 plans on the 6th of March- one for a 900 ton destroyer, three for 1600 ton destroyers, and two for 2400 ton destroyers"

Any information on these designs, especially the little 900 ton one?

Dave

Kingpin6100

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I caught this comment in the text:
" the Soviet delegation was shown 6 plans on the 6th of March- one for a 900 ton destroyer, three for 1600 ton destroyers, and two for 2400 ton destroyers"

Any information on these designs, especially the little 900 ton one?

Dave

unfortunately the closing of NARA due to Covid-19 has absolutely kneecapped me in terms of research. I was hoping to have all the destroyer designs dug up at the very least by this point- I went through a thousand pages of microfilm and found a list of files to request, but NARA personnel are not on site at the moment.

This document has the list of files I am requesting as well as the text for all letters i was able to find on the website of the Office of the Historian.

Tzoli

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It is sad that you could not get any information from the company itself about it's offered designs.

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your research Kingpin6100
You are correct, I know nothing about this Soviet/Gibbs & Cox cooperation and as a consequence have found this very interesting.

I look forward to reading your essay and wish you the best with its publishing!

Regards
Pioneer