F-16 Avionics, Westinghouse AN/APG-66, AN-APG-68 radars

Pit

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Thread for discussion of F-16 avionics from all countries/users.

Russian speakers would enjoy a lot with the following russian page about the AN/APG-66. Its a russian translation of a LONG and EXTREMLY detailed analysis of AN/APG-66 published bak then in the 80s by the IEEE.

I will made an english translation for those that didn't talk russian and attach it here as a word document...worth checking!.

Source -
http://forums.airbase.ru/index.php?showtopic=10739

Block-60's radar and systems :

> Northrop Grumman AN/APG-80 "Agile Beam Radar" AESA radar
> Northrop Grumman AN/ASQ-28 IFTS (Internal FLIR and Targeting System)
> F110-GE-132 turbofan, rated 32,500 lbs thrust
> New Modular mission computer has a processing throughput of 12.5 million instructions per second and provides sensor and weapons integration.
> ALQ-165 electronic countermeasures system, also known as the Airborne Self-Protection Jammer (ASPJ)
> New electronic warfare management system
> Fiber-optic avionics data bus
> Up to eight chaff/flare dispensers,
> New advanced friend or foe detection system
> New pilot-aircraft interface by incorporating three advanced 5-inch by 5-inch color displays.
+ Its range is extended with addition of fuselage mounted conformal fuel tanks and wing tanks.

New developments ... M4.2+ swing role suite :)
The F-16 is a compact, multirole fighter aircraft designed to be highly maneuverable in air-to-air combat and air-to-surface attack. There are several versions of the F-16 used by the United States, including the Block 40 and Block 50.

The Block 40 F-16 primary mission fills the air-to-surface attack role, while the Block 50’s primary mission is destruction and suppression of enemy air defenses.

The M4.2-plus avionics upgrade combines both combat roles into a single fighter aircraft. The upgrade is being completed using spiral development, meaning all program stakeholders, including developmental testers, contractors and operational units work together early in the process to ensure testing is conducted more efficiently. This helps align operational objectives and is geared toward providing mature, stable systems to the warfighter as quickly as possible.

"The M4.2-plus upgrade achieves the goal of the Air Force's F-16 Common Configuration Implementation Program to support common aircraft equipment and core avionics software capabilities," said Shauna Urwiller, Global Power Fighters program manager from the 416th FLTS.
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123011241

Block-60's radar and systems :

> Northrop Grumman AN/APG-80 "Agile Beam Radar" AESA radar
> Northrop Grumman AN/ASQ-28 IFTS (Internal FLIR and Targeting System)
> F110-GE-132 turbofan, rated 32,500 lbs thrust
> New Modular mission computer has a processing throughput of 12.5 million instructions per second and provides sensor and weapons integration.
> ALQ-165 electronic countermeasures system, also known as the Airborne Self-Protection Jammer (ASPJ)
> New electronic warfare management system
> Fiber-optic avionics data bus
> Up to eight chaff/flare dispensers,
> New advanced friend or foe detection system
> New pilot-aircraft interface by incorporating three advanced 5-inch by 5-inch color displays.
+ Its range is extended with addition of fuselage mounted conformal fuel tanks and wing tanks.
Do you have the product or brochure for these data ?
Or do you know where this information originally came from?

attachment.php

AFTI/F-16 AUTOMATED MANEUVERING ATTACK SYSTEM TEST REPORTS/SPECIAL TECHNOLOGIES AND OUTLOOK

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a184941.pdf

Taiwan F-16 Block 20 to get GCAS (and more) :
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Corp. was awarded a $138 million contract modification for the development and fielding of capabilities for the Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System and AGM-88 High Speed Anti-radiation Missile; improvements in radar software maturity; an update to the Data Acquisition System; and Advanced Identification Friend or Foe for the Taiwan Retrofit Program F-16 Block 20 fleet, the Department of Defense announced.

“(With the F-16’s previous APG-68 fire control radar), I had the ability to target up to two tracks, that’s it,” said Lt. Col. Michael Trujillo, District of Columbia ANG’s 113th Aerospace Control Alert Detachment commander, the unit responsible for the air defense of the national capital region. At that point, my radar is completely saturated and has no more bandwidth. With the AESA radar, (without getting into) specific numbers, I can target more things than I can shoot.”

(snip)

"... Emerging threats are among the biggest reasons for provisioning the AESA radar. The F-16’s previous APG-68 fire control radar had near-zero capability against cruise missiles, which means the AESA radar provides new capabilities for the legacy aircraft, explained Trujillo. "

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Dis...unches-f-16-into-next-generation-of-airpower/

"... Emerging threats are among the biggest reasons for provisioning the AESA radar. The F-16’s previous APG-68 fire control radar had near-zero capability against cruise missiles, which means the AESA radar provides new capabilities for the legacy aircraft, explained Trujillo. "

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Dis...unches-f-16-into-next-generation-of-airpower/
Interesting, given that the Zaslon radar was intended to locate cruise missiles and designed in the early 1970s. Pretty sure AN/APG-63 could give it a go too.

Interesting, given that the Zaslon radar was intended to locate cruise missiles and designed in the early 1970s. Pretty sure AN/APG-63 could give it a go too.
APG-63(v)2 was built exclusively with the anti cruise missile mission in mind. Which makes me think the original and msip radar was unable to effectively do so.

A 1985 report by the CIA and two 1978 AW&ST stories mention the MiG-31's capability against cruise missiles, but there is no mention about the target's RCS.

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000261292.pdf

1985_CIA.png

19781023.png

19781030.png

So I just remembered Japan developed AAM-4 with anticruise missile being the primary mission and it went live on the mechanical scan APG-63(v)1 so now I’m not sure. They shot down ASM-2 missiles in testing. So honestly I’m not sure.

Russian speakers would enjoy a lot with the following russian page about the AN/APG-66. Its a russian translation of a LONG and EXTREMLY detailed analysis of AN/APG-66 published bak then in the 80s by the IEEE.

I will made an english translation for those that didn't talk russian and attach it here as a word document...worth checking!.

Source -
English version of above paper

Attachments

• Apg-66.pdf
    977.9 KB · Views: 64

Source -
English version of above paper
Thank you