General Atomics Mojave STOL UAS

SteveO

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
View: https://vimeo.com/652210410

This looks very useful. STOL, probably carrier capable, up to 16 Hellfire type weapons and I think I saw a 25 hour endurance mentioned.

Attachments

• 1E543B74-DA7D-4164-8DB2-7F44E408BCF6.jpeg
    1E543B74-DA7D-4164-8DB2-7F44E408BCF6.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 38
Not sure about "carrier compatible". The video says 1200 ft take-off roll and 1500 ft landing roll. That's longer than a carrier.

You are probably not factoring wind.
Even with significant WOD, this would be carrier compatible only in the same sense as the OV-10 was. Meaning only with the flight deck cleared and for special circumstances like ferry operations. True carrier compatibility, for the USN anyway, means cat and trap capable, not just being able to fly off or recover using the whole length of the flight deck. That interferes with regular flight deck and hangar ops far too much to be tolerated.

GA proposed MQ-9B Sea Guardian STOL for (light) carrier ops

apparently carrier mojave is a thing now

MQ-9B Sea Guardian STOL is officially a member of this family, so I think I should put it in this thread

basically aims at USMC and potentially navies with STOVL carriers/LHD (RN, RAN, ROKN, JMSDF) to provide long-range, persistent ASW & ISR & maritime strike capability (think MH-60R on steroid)

for US, it should mainly bridge the gap created by capability that the navy has lost with the retirement of S-3, plus enhancing littoral warfare, and also more CAS coverage for the marines

I wonder if this could act as an AEW platform as well (there have been some proposals for AEW UAVs, not with very big radar but still better than none - something along the line of LM Vigilance could work), and it should be a very good solution for other navies in the fleet air (cruise missile) defense mission, as it has much longer time on station than helicopters and can complement each other

ga-asi-grows-mojave-line.jpg

MQ-9B-STOL-4.jpg.webp

MQ-9B-STOL-3.jpg.webp

Last edited: