GBU-39 with EO guidance

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
very special version

sdb-mm3.jpg

Jan 14th, 2016

Officials of the Rapid Acquisition Cell of the Air Force Lifecycle Management Center at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., announced an $11.6 million contract Wednesday to Scientific Systems Co. In. in Woburn, Mass., to demonstrate the company's ImageNav technology on theSmall-Diameter Bomb (SDB).

Scientific Systems's ImageNav is a vision-based navigation and precision targeting system for cruise missiles and manned and unmanned aircraft. ImageNav compares a terrain database with the host platform's sensor to determine if it's on the correct course.

The GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb is a 250-pound precision-guided glide designed to be carried in large numbers. Most Air Force aircraft can carry a pack of four SDBs in place of one 2,000-pound bomb. Existing SDBs use inertial and GPS guidance, and some advanced models use a tri-mode seeker that adds radar, infrared homing, and semi-active laser guidance capabilities.

Scientific Systems's ImageNav technology has demonstrated target geo-location and navigation precision of better than three meters in high-fidelity tests on real flight data gathered by Boeing, company officials say.

On July 19, the Strategic Capabilities Office (SCO) successfully executed 1st demonstration of legacy GPS weapon independent of GPS guidance updates – using Small Diameter Bomb I (SDB I) weapon modified w #COTS technology over

Last edited:
No, it's an EO seeker added to the nose of the SDB1 body. The Diamondback Wings are a dead giveaway.

This is also not the first time Boeing added a seeker to SDB1 as they have a laser guided version in production.

Attachments

• vzlBOpJ[1].png
    vzlBOpJ[1].png
    362.9 KB · Views: 129
I'd love to see this mounted on surplus M26 rocket-motors to be fired from the M270 MLRS and M142 HIMARS (It would do wonders in Ukraine).