• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

G10N Fugaku derived projects

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
I understand here is the proper position for my Fugaku post. Thanks a lot. ;D
I will continue to draw Fugaku HA50 variant, Fukaku HA54 variant, twin vertical stabilizer Fugaku, and Kawanishi TB with my very very slow pace. Recently I found that existing TB's drawing is not proper because engines are too small and fuselage is too short compared with the specification.

Skybolt

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Well, actually, originally this thread rightfuly belonged to the Early Secret Projects section. Only later, it veered towards the speculative. I fear that transplanting the entire thread in this section could be a mistake.

blackkite

Reaction score
Many thanks my dear ALBM. No problem at all. I will continue my activity in this section. It's not mistake. ;)

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
You are trying to reconstruct the Fugaku using the scarce available information,
mainly non-visual, so the result probably will get "source grade 1" only, I think.
It's like reconstructing some kind of dinosaur by just having a single claw, but
you are doing it with great care and expertise. I would agree with Skybolt, but the
borderline between a reconstruction based on very few information and a speculative
project probably is fleeting. Keep on with the good work ! ;)

blackkite

Reaction score
Many thanks my dear Jemiba. You, skybolt and T-50 encouraged me very much. I believe Fugaku was a rather small Z-plane with pressurized cabin, turbo supercharged engines and remote controlled turrets. Base was the Z-plane. Also I believe engine nacelle shape were similar to Renzan's one. Fugaku's wing section is mystery for me. B-29's wing section is very thick.
But I believe Fugaku's wing section was not so thick because wing tip deflected 1.3m to the upward direction in flight.
(Nakajima's engineer Shibuya designed very light weight wing.)
Cabin window shape and vertical tail stabilizer shape are still mystery for me now.

blackkite

Reaction score
Hi! My guess for Fugaku HA44 variant 3 side view. Enjoy. :)
I did Japanese SPF member's duty. ;D
Wing side view looks like Mt.Fuji, I think it's one of the reason why her name was Fugaku(富嶽)(the old name of Mt.Fuji(富士山)).

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
Thanks my friend! :D My next target is Fugaku HA50 variant.
Engines were Mitsubishi HA50, the only survival of the Fugaku project, take off power was 3,300hp/each(total 19,800hp), 22 cylinders air cooling radial turbo supercharged engine. Expected Fugaku HA50 variant performance were as follows.
Top speed:700km/h(12,000m),640km/h(9,000m)
Range:16,500km(15ton bomb),18,000km(10t bomb),19,400km(5ton bomb)
Service ceiling:15,000m
Wing span, length, height were same as HA44 variant.

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
Some Japanese documents says that Fugaku's height was 8.8m.
If Fugaku's height was 8.8m, she had twin vertical stabilizers, which gave good rear view for upper aft turret, contributed to reduce the height of the assembly building.
I believe this alternative shape was planned in paralleled with the single vertical stabilizer shape.

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
In Japanese National Diet Library Tokyo, I found following Z,GF and Fugaku data.
In these data, there was no data for Fugaku HA50 variant.
I think expected maximum speed 780km/h for Fugaku HA54 variant is proper, because she had only 4 engines, aerodynamically more clean than Fugaku HA50 variant which had 6 large diameter HA50 engines. I modified my previous table.

I change my 3-side view next target from Fugaku HA50 variant to Fugaku HA54 variant with twin vertical stabilizers.

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
It's very difficult to understand HA54 engine.
The following site shows the pictures of the design specification and project points document of HA54 engine prepared for the Fugaku design discussion meeting between the IJA,IJN and the Fugaku design team in April of 1944.
http://www.fukuya-works.com/html/others-c.htm
You can see different two types of mechanical superchargers in folowing pictures.
You also see wing leading edge air intakes(for intercooler and turbo supercharger?) for HA54 engine, same as B-17.
HA54 used the combination of mechanical supercharger and turbo supercharger same as B-24?
In this document, Nakajima's engineers excluded the part for turbo supercharger design , because they had some problems for turbo supercharger design still at the time(April of 1944!!).(Source:"Fugaku" by Takanori Maema Kodansha Tokyo Nobember,1991 ISBN4-06-205543-0 C0095)

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
Of course HA54 had a single array cowl flap.
B-17's air intake position for turbo supercharger and intercooler were possible HA54 air intake position for turbo supercharger and intercooler.
BTW I think this air intake position was a little draggy one for Fugaku.
Low drag shape was very important for such a long range aircraft.
It's hard to find cold air intake position for turbo superchargers and intercoolers in case of Fugaku HA54 variant.
"過給器" means supercharger. "中間冷却器" means intercooler. "空気取り入れ口" means air intake.

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
Hi P&W R4360 Wasp Major turbo charged engine. I think this is one of the possible shape for turbocharged HA54 engine.
The bottom Fugaku drawing's engine nacelle shape is good except outer 4 engines. ;D

R4360 engine front view shows the air intake at the bottom of the engine nacelle for oil cooler, for turbo charger and inter cooler.
Right side view shows the exhaust pipe to turbo charger, inter cooler at the after top of the engine.
Left side view shows oil cooler(bottom) and cold air piping from air intake to inter cooler(vertical piping), supply air piping from inter cooler to engine cylinders.(horizontal piping)

Attachments

Tzoli

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the G10N Fugaku.
Once I read somewhere that there could be a Jet powered variant of this bomber called G10N2 Fugaku-Kai with 6 jet engines replaced the piston ones, like on the J7W1/W2 Shinden / Shinden-Kai. Does such design or proposal really existed?

blackkite

Reaction score
Oh! I have never heard about Fugaku-kai. :eek:
I wonder that jet engine's fuel consumption was very large for such a long range aircraft at the day.

Tzoli

Reaction score
blackkite said:
Oh! I have never heard about Fugaku-kai. :eek:
I wonder that jet engine's fuel consumption was very large for such a long range aircraft at the day.
I do think so too. If such project existed it would reduce the range of the craft, maybe half??? But significantly increase it's speed and bomb load am I right?

blackkite

Reaction score
Hi! For Fugaku research, I got this 607 pages large book recently.(U,S, $74.95)
You can see technical detail of R-4360 engine, including various turbo charging system study.
You also see followinf aircraft's turbo charging system.
Republic XP-72, Hughes XF-11, HK-1, Northrop XB-35(very interesting arrangement!),Curtis XP-71, Convair B-36, Republic Rainbow, Boeing B-377,etc.

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
Hi! Another image of Fugaku. Enjoy.
I'm waiting for Fujimi mokei's Fugaku model. But it's deliver delayed for a month.
Fujimi Mokei's Fugaku model is Fugaku HA-54 variant. Engines are very big. It's good model.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

here is the initial drawing to G10N.

FR 3/1964

Attachments

lark

Reaction score
Not realy Hesham.

It's more a postwar variation on the Fugaku theme...

sgeorges4

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Here his the nakajima G10N from fujimi:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fujimi+fugaku&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5oZi0x-vaAhXE8RQKHcljBQ0Q_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=949#imgrc=I78q0BFrqzGyNM:

hesham

Reaction score
From Air Pictorial 8/1956.

Attachments