• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

FS-X (Fighter Support-Experimental) Program

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
A question has occurred to me; Where were the Germans, especially Dornier, during the saga that was FSX?

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grey Havoc said:
A question has occurred to me; Where were the Germans, especially Dornier, during the saga that was FSX?

An odd question -FS-X is pretty well documented. Dornier had no relevant product to offer the Japanese unless you are thinking about the Northrop/Dornier ND-102 which was a "paper design".

Germany via Panavia were offering Tornado, which made sense for the declared specs.

Tornado was short-listed alongside F-16 and F-18 for off-the-shelf licensed purchase. None met the spec completely and were rejected.Japan favoured developing an indigenous fighter (Mitsubishi), but were eventually persuaded to a joint development with the US of the F-16 by intense political pressure. In a valiant rearguard action, they shoehorned on enough indigenous equipment to make FS-X very uneconomic.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Indeed it was the ND-102 design I was thinking of in particular, since it had only been shelved in 1984 or thereabouts.

(h/t FrankM)

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Matej said:
Original FS-X was an early Eurofighter like with two vertical tails, but it was too ambitious and too expensive. Than japanese government decided to modify existing aircraft (F-15, F-16, F/A-18 and Tornado were considered). For example SX-3 looks like F-16CCV and FX-4 like two engined F-16. Deino posted F/A-18 derivate.

My first picture shows Mitsubishi F-1X proposal and second is probably the source of a lot of japanese YF-23 what ifs - scaled down test model for self recovery flight control system from JDA TRDI.

This will be my new web update but as usual - I dont have enoug time to finish it :-\
I finally found a few more images of that FI-X wind-tunnel model ! ;)

Attachments

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Wow,very nice,thank you my dear Deino.

hosscara

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Politically, what is the US view of Japan going ahead with this indigenous fighter programme? Remember the US DoD attempts in the late 80s to derail, undermine & prevent the Japanese from developing their own A/C.
Stumbled across this interesting read: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/2007/MR612.2part2.pdf
Situation is now very different, what do think is the latest US view of these developments?

VictorXL188

Former Aviation journalist/writer
Reaction score
I Found this reference (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...sig=ACfU3U0kRNw7lk6hG57DBWJ-OT0FuWbKBA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizr_m7pqjlAhUiQUEAHSOWD0AQ6AEwCnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=p-xl%20indigenous%20maritime%20patrol%20aircraft&f=false) whilst looking into the P-XL. According to the extract of the book ( Troubled Partnership: A History of US - Japan Collaboration on the FS-X Fighter) the intial basis of the Hi-no-maru or Rising Sun fighter was to be of a single seat twin-engined canard configuration with twin-canted stabilizing fins. It was to feature indigenous control systems, probably developed from those under test on the F-1CCV

I attach the GA of this 1985 design from the TRDI

Hinomaru or Rising Sun Fighter of 1980s GA.jpg

sienar

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
There is a pretty interesting photo on that linked page. The side view of the A6M with the following text: "堀越二郎氏自筆零戦"

According to a web translator that is a drawing made by Jiro himself. Can you verify that this translation is correct? And is there anything written on the drawing that gives an indication of year?

The carb/oil cooler on the bottom of the cowling is unlike any A6M I am aware of. If this is an original period drawing it may depict one of the early proto/pre-production zeros.

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Your attention is wonderful. It is true that this drawing is a plan of zero fighter of the handwriting of Jiro Horikoshi engineer.:oops:
Unfortunately I have no more information about this drawing.