From the Archives of Peter Merlin, Aviation Archaeologist.

quellish

I don’t read The Drive. The Drive reads me.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Commemorative coins, patches, mugs and other ephemera from the shadowy world of US military aviation and aerospace.

In From the Archives of Peter Merlin, Aviation Archaelogist, multidisciplinary artist Trevor Paglen (born 1974) collaborates with Peter Merlin, a former NASA archivist, on this new artist’s book featuring a photographic inventory of objects from the aerospace historian’s archive of research culled from military bases such as Area 51.

Featuring images of challenge coins, patches and commemorative mugs from within these bases, as well as debris recovered from the surrounding crash sites, the book presents both a social and technological investigation into the US government’s secret aviation history from the atomic age to today's drone wreckage.

The symbols and texts featured on these objects that celebrate covert missions range in character from goofy to sinister, though their actual meaning may never be fully explained to the public. In addition to photographic images, the book includes an essay by Paglen as well as in-depth captions of the archive’s inventory, offering context for this history and addressing the present-day ramifications of these military advancements across the realms of communication, surveillance and warfare.

Also available for pre-order through amazon

Arrived today, great fun but sadly no hints on Mr Merlins thoughts regarding "high speed demonstrators" which I was kinda hoping for

Got the book, and im facisnated by it. Still have a lot to read through before im done with it. Ill let you all know my thoughts once i'm done reading it.

Well I finished reading the book in 2 days, I really wanted to read it and I did. Hope no one minds my review of the book. The introduction before all the good stuff was nice. Peter Merlin really is an aircraft archeologist, if you read it, you would know. I mosty bought the book to read about and view commemorative items that belong to classified programs, and there was plenty of that in the book. It was very nice to see an clear image of the P-175 Polecat patch. Would post an image of the book's page but that violates the rules. Even though I bought it to look at all of the neat classified project patches and coins, the book had way more to offer. I enjoyed looking at relics from different cultural eras, and even pieces of plane wreckages. The only thing that upset me was that I finished it very fast haha. I dont know if Peter Merlin had more stuff to add to the book, but maybe he didnt just to keep the book at an affordable price and to not make it too long. I would certainly buy a follow-up to the book. Im having a feeling Peter Merlin might have left out certain items because they come from more recent classified projects, just to avoid from someone losing their job. I dont mean that in a disrespectful manner either. All I have to say, is that it's a great book. I will read this over again. Highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom