Friedberg "Uhu" tailless aircraft and other August Kupper designs

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I do not know if this Uhu (Owl) was meant as an early target aircraft or a small-scale demonstrator for an larger design but I couldn't find any trace of this original high-wing tailless pusher elsewhere on the forum, so until we have more information and a better place for it, I'm starting this topic. Does anyone know more about it? (source: Jahrbuch der Luftfahrt 1931-32)

Attachments

• Friedberg Uhu.jpg
    Friedberg Uhu.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 490
Re: Friedberg "Uhu" tailless aircraft

The description says, that it was built by the "akademische Fliegergruppe Friedberg" (academic
flying club Friedberg). Don't know, if in 1930 there already was a university in Friedberg, but maybe
it was a branch of the university in Gießen then. But as it quite probably was built by students,
I think it was just a small light aircraft to test the tailless design, but not necessarily with the
aim to use it in another way.

Re: Friedberg "Uhu" tailless aircraft

August Kupper saw the light of day in 1905. He was no ordinary engineer from the flight - vehicle construction , rather Kupper was a physicist and aerodynamics , so to speak, a theorist. His career began at the Academic Flying Group at the Technical University in Munich, when he was involved in the development Akaflieg Munich Mü.3. During Kupper also continued to work with the students Akaflieg , but he also designed their own gliders. Together with the famous Segelflieger Robert Kronfeld was born 1931, the extraordinary Ku.4 " Austria". But in a thunderstorm , the aircraft was broken and Kronfeld was able to escape with a parachute. Dr. Kupper died in 1938 in a crash with his Ku.7 own design.

Kupper Ku.1 (Akaflieg München Mü.3) Sailplane 1928
Kupper Ku.2 "Uhu" (as you can see)
Kupper Ku.3 (akaflieg München Mü.5) Sailplane 1930
Kupper Ku.4 "Austria" record Sailplane 1931
Kupper Ku.5 B)
Kupper Ku.6 B)
Kupper Ku.7 Sailplane 1938

Servus Maveric

Thanks a lot Maveric for the info! I have modified the topic's title accordingly.

...Kupper Ku.4 "Austria"...

Attachments

• Kupper Ku-4 Austria.jpg
    Kupper Ku-4 Austria.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 396
  • Kupper Ku-4 Austria-.jpg
    Kupper Ku-4 Austria-.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 345
I´ll be very happy to see pics and/or drawings from the Ku.7. Infos about Ku.5 and Ku.6 are welcome.

Thanks richard, a problem closed. I know this sailplane only as Kronfeld Kr.1.

Back
Top Bottom