Tzoli

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Not sure where to ask but here it is:
Is there a comprehensive list of French Radars (Both land and naval based) which was developed?
Did France able to start developing radar technology before the capitulation or it was kick-started by British and American equipment after the war?
To my knowledge the Soviets were in similar "shoes" but they had some early developments before received the lend-lease sets from the UK and US?

The following French PDF file may be of interest. The photo of a centimetric radar prototype on page 13, especially so. A cropped version of that image can be found in the December 1935 issue of Popular Mechanics, page 844.

Attachments

• Popular Mechanics December 1935 page 844.png
    Popular Mechanics December 1935 page 844.png
    351.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
One of the best resources I can think of. I would say

These three but all the others are worth a read (in French, maybe Google translate can help ?)

L’électronique militaire – 2,3 Mo

Les équipements de bord (Tome 1) – 6,3 Mo

Les équipements de bord (Tome 2) – 3,2 Mo​

Did France able to start developing radar technology before the capitulation or it was kick-started by British and American equipment after the war?

There was some limited research done pre-war but considering the sheer misery back then, it mostly took off post war.

Thanks I will check them out.
My limited knowledge on this area (together in naval electronics) that the French sets named
DRBC-xy
DRBI-xy
DRBV-xy
and DSBV-xy
with the latter being sonars
and
DRUA-xy
DUUA-xy
and DSUV-xy
being the Submarine versions

but I don't know which are the air search, surface search, and fire control ones.

ISTR reading about pre-War French experiments that were basically multi-site - one broadcast station, others that were looking for a hole in the broadcast signal rather than a bounced return. Unfortunately I can't remember where I was reading about that - might possibly be one of the John Jordan books on French warships?

France was developing radar sets since at least 1934, marked with CSF's installment of a radar set on SS Normandie the year after. But it didn't stop there. Intriguingly, the French also managed to continue developing radar in the German-collaborating Vichy France. There are a ton of historical material on this paper:

Attachments

• SS Normandie.png
    SS Normandie.png
    437.7 KB · Views: 23
ISTR reading about pre-War French experiments that were basically multi-site - one broadcast station, others that were looking for a hole in the broadcast signal rather than a bounced return. Unfortunately I can't remember where I was reading about that - might possibly be one of the John Jordan books on French warships?
It's probably explained in this paper: they tried to make a basically multi-static radar as an early warning system (somewhat primitive to today's standard but state-of-the-art at the time). It was a rather interesting approach to the early warning problem, which the British sought through a different way, Chain Home, that is.

Attachments

• 1632097203521.png
    1632097203521.png
    1 MB · Views: 17