Frank Hofmann Twinster twin-engine twin-boom ultralight aircraft project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

I saw this drawing for twin boom high-wing light aircraft,powered by two engines,
and designed Frank Hofmann,I don't know if it was a real design or not,or a project
or not ?.

http://www.eaa266.org/

Attachments

• Frank_Hofmanns_Twin_Aircraft.JPG
    Frank_Hofmanns_Twin_Aircraft.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 334
I can get to the EAA site, but cannot find this design under the link
for Frank Hofmann ?

My dear Jemiba,

I got this drawing from Google pictures when I searched about anther aircraft.

Ok, got it ! Not that easy ....

"Twin Ultralight Project, Partially Completed. Frank Hofmann is looking for someone interested in
finishing this twin-engine aircraft, which was designed around the then existing Ultralight rules,
with an Empty Weight of 254 lb. It is designed to carry two people side-by-side. The wings are
designed to fold back along the booms for storage.
Engines can be around 15 HP each, or there may be something better available today. It is all metal
construction. Most drawings are available to complete the project . The builder needs to be inventive,
but Frank would be glad to advise the builder. It is "Free for the Taking". If the Clecos go with it, the
Frank would like a few bucks for the Clecos, etc. For further information call Frank Hofmann:
514-696-4572 (See sketch below)"

So, actually a project. ;)

Thank you my dear Jemiba,

I put it here just in case,so we can transfer it into a suitable section.

I would say that an original design, amateur-built aircraft that was drawn and partially built but never completed does fit this site's definition of a "project," unless we are no longer including amateur-built aircraft. Doing so would risk excluding not only the early work of folks like Burt Rutan, but also the many amateur designs over the years that have been personal projects of aircraft design professionals. FYI, Frank Hofmann is an EAA Technical Counselor and also a past director of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (Canadian EAA Chapters are integrated into the U.S. organization).

cluttonfred said:
I would say that an original design, amateur-built aircraft that was drawn and partially built but never completed does fit this site's definition of a "project," unless we are no longer including amateur-built aircraft. Doing so would risk excluding not only the early work of folks like Burt Rutan, but also the many amateur designs over the years that have been personal projects of aircraft design professionals. FYI, Frank Hofmann is an EAA Technical Counselor and also a past director of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (Canadian EAA Chapters are integrated into the U.S. organization).

I completely agree, cluttonfred, and it was never my intention for this topic to be moved in the Aerospace section the way it's been done.

I for one have always defended the idea that any aircraft that didn't reach the production staged or was built in very limited numbers has every right to be in the Projects sections.

My remark was not so much about whether it should be in the Projects section or not (I think it would be just fine there). I think there was a misunderstanding because of hesham's initial question "I don't know if it was a real design or not,or a project or not ?" and my answer merely aimed at saying that the Hofmann model was not simply an idea but a real design that went so far as the construction stage.

Sorry if my comment was not clear enough and led to a topic getting mislocated as a result.

Understood and thanks. FYI, all, I have written to Mr. Hofmann to learn more about his project and will let you know what I turn up. Cheers, Matthew

I wonder whether there is any connection with this one, first flown in November 1981
The Mohawk by Bobby Baker and marketed by Warpath Aviation Corporation. Weight-wise it was a ultralight, but since it had 2 engines the prototype (N1381T) was registered as homebuilt. The single-seater was initially fitted with two 10hp McCollogh MAC101 engines, but in 1982 received two 20hp Cuyuna 215s.
Possibly only the prototype was completed.
Best regards, Walter

Attachments

• Warpath Mohawk.jpg
    Warpath Mohawk.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 289
walter said:
I wonder whether there is any connection with this one, first flown in November 1981

The resemblance is so striking that either Bobby Baker and Frank Hofmann worked together on the design, or the latter completely swiped the concept off the former!

Whichever it is, thanks a lot walter for once again bringing another obscure type to our attention.

According to Ultralight and Microlight Aircraft of the World by Berger and Burr (first edition, 1983), the Warpath Mohawk first flew in 1981 and plans were available in 1982 for $100 and a 400-hour kit for $1750 not including the engine. Presumably the pretty girl was not included in the kit either.

Still in the design stage in 1983 was the single-engine Mohawk X, which replaced the twin 20 hp Cayuna 215R tractor-mounted engines with a single 35 hp Cayuna 430 engine driving a pusher prop through an extension shaft. Pics below are from the same source.

Hopefully, Mr. Hofmann will respond to my message to clarify whether his design was actually a derivative of the Mohawk or simply followed the same layout.

Cheers,

Matthew

Attachments

• warpath mohawk.jpg
    warpath mohawk.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 208
  • warpath mohawk x.jpg
    warpath mohawk x.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 196
Splendid! Thanks for sharing, Matthew, and I look forward to hearing what Hofmann tells you (if he does reply).

The 1983 book you mention must be a very valuable resource on the subject... the early eighties were an exciting time for ultralights of all kinds and from all countries. I find the ones from the Soviet Union in that era especially interesting as they had to develop independently from the Western world and came up with all sorts of original designs.

Skyblazer said:
The 1983 book you mention must be a very valuable resource on the subject... the early eighties were an exciting time for ultralights of all kinds and from all countries. I find the ones from the Soviet Union in that era especially interesting as they had to develop independently from the Western world and came up with all sorts of original designs.

Yes, it's a neat book from the "Wild West" period of ultralights right when U.S. Part 103 rules were introduced so the designs were only beginning to catch up. Some of the stuff in there is ingenious and some it is downright scary.

You're right about some of the Eastern European designs...I seem to remember one that folded up into a couple of suitcases. I always wondered if it was just for enjoyment or perhaps intended for an eventual defection.

Direct from designer/builder Frank Hofmann in Canada, here is the story of the "Twinster" twin-engine, twin-boom ultralight aicraft along with some (circa 1982!) photos. Moderators, would it be possible to change the title of this thread to "Frank Hofmann Twinster twin-engine twin-boom ultralight aircraft project" or something similar, and perhaps move it to the "Postwar Aircraft Projects" section as well? Cheers, Matthew

I no longer have the ‘Twinster” – I gave it to a gentleman who was going to finish it for his son. As for the history of the design, that is a long story , the high points which I can give you quickly.

I owned a Lazair in the 80’s and wanted to have more safety with a second engine, having experienced several engine failures in flight with those water pump engines. I worked with a friend, Jean Paul Huneault, to develop a design we would build together. My design criterium was 2 engines. His was to sit as far forward as possible. That meant that his design would have to be a pusher. We came up with a solution which meant that the fuselage would be a pod suspended under the wing so that it could be attached so that the center of gravity was somewhat adjustable. Because I had owned a Lazair and was aware of the problem of storing such a light aircraft with such big wings, I required that the wings be foldable.

The best way to fold the wings was to bring them back alongside some structure. Therefore the twin booms. I had already been infatuated with a twin boom aircraft – the Italian amphibian “Riviera”. As well back then there was a twin boom ultralight called, I think, Sadler, of which I was aware. There was a plethora of designs which cropped up, all start-up hopefuls ready to supply the Ultralight enthusiasts. If the ‘Mohawk’ , mentioned by one of your contributors ever flew I do not know.

But my design was no more a copy of another airplane than the Bombardier C Series is a copy of a Boeing or an Embraer is a copy of an Airbus. Aeroncas, Taylorcraft, Cessnas, Pipers surely are not copies of each other. They did, however, follow a similar logic in their designs. The Twinster was also to meet the Ultralight regulations in existence at that time, a reason I built it from aluminum and intended to use the same structure as existed for the Lazair. I then became involved in creating and modifying the regulations for UL in Canada as a member of the NRAC team – the national recreational aircraft advisory group to Transport Canada. Regulations changed and the 254 lb weight limit was raised, permitting stronger aircraft to be built.

At some point my friend did not want to wait any further so he bought a 2 seat Kolb 9with pusher engine) and I was left to finish my airplane. At the time I was teaching in an Aircraft maintenance program and brought the Twinster into the Sheet metal lab as a project for the students and as example of a sheet metal structure. Students did exercises building ribs and wing sections based on drawings I supplied. Somewhere I have a picture of the airplane hanging up in the lab.

I still think it was a viable design. I do not know if the aircraft has been finished and is flying. I trust that I have satisfied some of your curiosity.

--Frank Hofmann, 4 April 2015

Attachments

• IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 149
I had a copy of the plans for this aircraft but they were lost when we moved. Is there anyone out there that knows how I might be able to find a copy? My grandfather and I planned to build it together before he got sick and passed and I've been searching everywhere to find a copy.

Very nice,and welcome aboard Marcus,

I hope you find it.

I spent several hours over the past year with two of the clay modellers and mold makers for this. After 40 years the details were hazy, but notes included a sell sheet for the plans/kits with the photo seen in an earlier post of the N1381T. Additional photos of a different completed version (below) show it marked as N3972B and a couple dozen photos of the development from clay models to molds and assembly.

N3972B Zimmer Aerotech.jpg