• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Forum Upgrade Completed! Post any issues you find in this topic

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Are there instructions on all of the features for the new forum? I'm really enjoying it, but I always know there are features I didn't know existed. It seems some of the forums show a string of all of the photos in the thread, and not just in a current post. Am I hallucinating, as I thought that is what I saw and would like to enable it in all threads?

Well done on the upgrade Paul.

yasotay

Reaction score
Thanks for the assist. Will take a look soon as possible.

Hmmm... still no luck with either method. Still getting "Oops! We seem to have run into a problem" Drag and drop shows the picture then it goes away. Attach file shows file name with line through it. Will try via Imgur this evening.
What browser and what operating system?
So I have now tried on three different browsers (Edge, Firefox, and classic Explorer) on two android devices (phone and tablet) and two desk tops (Windows 8 and 10). Always the same result: Oops!

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the assist. Will take a look soon as possible.

Hmmm... still no luck with either method. Still getting "Oops! We seem to have run into a problem" Drag and drop shows the picture then it goes away. Attach file shows file name with line through it. Will try via Imgur this evening.
What browser and what operating system?
So I have now tried on three different browsers (Edge, Firefox, and classic Explorer) on two android devices (phone and tablet) and two desk tops (Windows 8 and 10). Always the same result: Oops!
As I posted above, I believe there is a memory issue with too high resolution images at present. Try a different image or resize it smaller. I can't fix this setting until after my holiday.

SpudmanWP

Reaction score
I have mine.. but I forgot how to get to the senior forum :)

So... I guess I am having a senior moment? :eek:

Cy-27

Reaction score
Please ignore my comment at reply #103 re: thumbnails.

It only happens with Internet Explorer 11 at work - it may be a deterrent to curb my use in firm's time !

Renders fine in Chrome (using that at this time) when at home - I think Hood (reply #115) had a similar issue.

Also works fine with Firefox .

Last edited:

dan_inbox

Reaction score
2 - Going to a thread: I do not understand how to go to "the 1st post unread to me". Clicking on the date seems to go always to the latest post, even if there are other previous posts that I did not see in that thread.
(If there are 3 new posts since my last visit, I want it to go to the 1st of the 3, not the last).
Just clicking on the thread title should take you to the first unread post in the thread.
Yes, now I can see that it does. Perfect.
Thanks!

shedofdread

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
As someone who reads much but posts little, I'd just like to say that everything looks really good. Yes, there are differences from the old software that have to be learned but it appears to be a real step forward. Thank you.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who reads much but posts little, I'd just like to say that everything looks really good. Yes, there are differences from the old software that have to be learned but it appears to be a real step forward. Thank you.
Thanks! It was quite a lot of effort to get here, which is why we were on SMF 2.0 for so many years.

galgot

Reaction score
Website
galgot.com
Thanks for this update, well done.

Please, what is that "senior member" thing ? A even more secret sub-forum ? :p

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
From the Boeing "Quiet Bird" thread:
Nothing very interesting, really. It was a place to post stuff for "Senior Members" only, mostly things people didn't want Google to index for the world to see. Not used much if at all recently. I also don't generally assign senior member status any more.

dan_inbox

Reaction score
Paul, a small buglet, or rather a wierdness:
In a forum, if you hover the mouse over a thread in which you have both read and unread posts, a preview pops up.
- if you click on that thread, it will go to the 1st unread post. (good)
- but the preview is NOT about that post, it is about the 1st post of the thread. (which is read)
A little bit disconcerting, but nothing serious.

steelpillow

So many projects, so little time...
Reaction score
Website
www.steelpillow.com
Suddenly today a whole five-day backlog of email notifications arrived. Guess that's fixed now. :)
Thanks!

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
The tagging system for threads is a bit glitchy, for example you can't put in 'U.S. Army' or 'United States Army'.

galgot

Reaction score
Website
galgot.com
Ooohh...
I suddenly feel senior, although it certainly does not make me wiser ...
Thanks for that.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
The look is OK but I find it harder to see where there are new post's. Not as user/viewer friendly imvho. It will take time to adjust I suppose.

Hobbes

Reaction score
That's what the 'New Posts' button is for...

TomS

Reaction score
The look is OK but I find it harder to see where there are new post's. Not as user/viewer friendly imvho. It will take time to adjust I suppose.
Have you marked the whole forum read? Once you do that, new posts will be easy to find because the thread and forum titles with new unread posts will be boldfaced.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
After a week of using the new site: massively better on mobile devices, easier to use on a desktop/laptop. I love the fresh look of the new site.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After a week of using the new site: massively better on mobile devices, easier to use on a desktop/laptop. I love the fresh look of the new site.
Yes, that's my feeling. Some tutorials for more 'senior' members might need to be created.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Get away with you, you young whippersnapper!

:D

Caravellarella

Reaction score
The new-look is lovely; where images I've posted have disappeared (leaving only my descriptive captions), do I have to edit & reattach the missing image image (an onerous prospect)?

Terry (Caravellarella)

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The new-look is lovely; where images I've posted have disappeared (leaving only my descriptive captions), do I have to edit & reattach the missing image image (an onerous prospect)?

Terry (Caravellarella)
Sadly your creative naming of files with giant long filenames filled with punctuation was often incompatible with the forum migration script. I tried to resolve by editing the import script but was not successful, and having two servers running for months was costing double the money so I made the decision to proceed anyway, knowing a small number of attachments would be left. Mostly yours, unfortunately.

I'm still looking at a way to get those files into the new forum - I have a complete copy of the old forum, database and attachments. If I can, I'll do it. Worst case I'll just attach a few each week manually until complete.

Caravellarella

Reaction score

Terry (Caravellarella)
Sadly your creative naming of files with giant long filenames filled with punctuation was often incompatible with the forum migration script. I tried to resolve by editing the import script but was not successful, and having two servers running for months was costing double the money so I made the decision to proceed anyway, knowing a small number of attachments would be left. Mostly yours, unfortunately.

I'm still looking at a way to get those files into the new forum - I have a complete copy of the old forum, database and attachments. If I can, I'll do it. Worst case I'll just attach a few each week manually until complete.
"creative naming of files with giant long filenames" guilt trip :eek:

Terry (Caravellarella)

aim9xray

Reaction score
Is there any chance that we could get the "all" pages button back? (or am I not seeing it?) (discoverability--)

Some of these 60 page threads are a...pain to run through the pages individually.

TomS

Reaction score
Is there any chance that we could get the "all" pages button back? (or am I not seeing it?) (discoverability--)

Some of these 60 page threads are a...pain to run through the pages individually.
Another forum I'm on using Xenforo has an option for the user to change the number of posts per page. That might be worth considering as an alternative.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Another forum I'm on using Xenforo has an option for the user to change the number of posts per page. That might be worth considering as an alternative.
That's a paid addon and it affects every topic you view. I'm investigating the possibility of a paid custom addon to deliver the "all posts" function, which I think is better.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

It was a custom addon to SMF and there's no equivalent in Xenforo yet. Investigating costs for getting a custom addon to Xenforo.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Terry (Caravellarella)

"creative naming of files with giant long filenames" guilt trip :eek:

Terry (Caravellarella)
Are you a Mac user perchance?

Old-time DOS/Window 3.1 hands who had to like with 8.3 filenames tend to keep filenames relatively small. Former Mac users who have to use Windows often seem to write small novels for filenames, which actually breaks fileservers even today (There's a 255 character limit on total file paths).

Caravellarella

Reaction score
Are you a Mac user perchance?

Old-time DOS/Window 3.1 hands who had to like with 8.3 filenames tend to keep filenames relatively small. Former Mac users who have to use Windows often seem to write small novels for filenames, which actually breaks fileservers even today (There's a 255 character limit on total file paths).
No, I have a aversion to Macs, but I do have an affinity to explanatory filenames because of my job......

Terry (Caravellarella)

GWrecks

Big Wingy Thingy
Reaction score
I'm having problems changing my avatar. Anyone else have this problem? I might be late to the party...

EDIT: I can't seem to change my personal text, either...or maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Last edited:

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having problems changing my avatar. Anyone else have this problem? I might be late to the party...
Yes, there seem to be some problems. Some members have only a kind of cut-out of their avatar and changing isn't possible
("Oops! We ran into some problems. ")

dan_inbox

Reaction score
Topic title:
With the new forum layout, the title of the topic is only shown at the top of the page. It is no longer shown at the bottom, and no longer shown in the first line of each post (whereas there is space available on the 1st line, before of after the post's date).
While not a major issue, it is less convenient. (especially with the current trend for threads to drift randomly)

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there seem to be some problems. Some members have only a kind of cut-out of their avatar and changing isn't possible
("Oops! We ran into some problems. ")
Yes, the avatar editing page is not working. I've posted for support help on Xenforo forum.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Topic title:
With the new forum layout, the title of the topic is only shown at the top of the page. It is no longer shown at the bottom, and no longer shown in the first line of each post (whereas there is space available on the 1st line, before of after the post's date).
While not a major issue, it is less convenient. (especially with the current trend for threads to drift randomly)
You can always report drifting threads for splitting.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

EDIT: I can't seem to change my personal text, either...or maybe I'm not looking in the right place?
Avatar issue, yes. I seem able to change my custom title though.

TomS

Reaction score
One nagging annoyance, possibly inherent in the forum's image viewing software.

Using Chrome (haven't tried in other browsers), when I click on an image to bring up the Image viewer, there are sometimes images that are too large or tall to display completely, and the bottom is hidden behind the thumbnail "filmstrip" at the bottom of the screen. Often, the bit that's cut off is the caption for a drawing or photograph. To view those images in full, I have to click on the icon to expand the image and open it in its own window. Not a huge problem, but it sure would be nice if the viewer would scale everything down so that none of the images are obscured.