Forum Upgrade Completed! Post any issues you find in this topic

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The forum upgrade from SimpleMachines Forum (SMF) to Xenforo has been completed.

Some points to note about the migration:
  • I have used a relatively low-specced Virtual Server to reduce costs during testing and migration. I have some detailed application performance monitoring in place to see if I need to upgrade to a more expensive server for better speed, but I won't know until I get a proper load of users accessing the site. If things seem slow, please do post your experiences.
  • SMF used to have both logon name and display name. Xenforo only has one name, which means some people may find the name they see on their posts is their logon name. You can change your logon name if desired to the name you want to see on your posts.
  • Individual posts no longer have their own title. This is a limitation / feature in Xenforo.
  • All private messages should be ported over, but they may not be correctly marked as read / unread. If it isn't, you'll have to mark stuff as read.
  • Topic read/unread status might not be correct. If it isn't, you'll have to mark stuff as read.
  • Existing private messages are not threaded by topic, but just in strict date order. New conversations you have will be threaded by topic going forward.
  • A small number of attachments could not be migrated over due to filename incompatibilities. These kind of worked on the old forum but they didn't display filenames properly. The converter could not import these correctly. The vast majority, more than 141,000 images did migrate correctly, and I do have copies of all attachments from the old forum so it is possible to recover these manually in dire emergency.
  • IF you don't have access to something you think you used to have access to, let me know so I can fix it.

Last edited:

billybob

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi,just having a quick look around at the new look site. It looks fantastic.changed just enough to be better looking. * but not too changed to upset a Luddite like me! Well done

*(Not that there was anything wrong in the first place!)

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I've tried to make it feel fresh but somewhat familiar. It should work much better on mobile phones and tablets now.

Moose

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Looks very cool. Well done.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not finished with the setup, so any feedback is welcome. I can't guarantee I can change what you want, but I can see if its possible :)

aim9xray

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Roger that Secret Projects base...you had a bunch of guys about to turn blue here!

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the longest it's ever been down since it launched in December 2005.

Hopefully the decision to jump ship from SMF to Xenforo after 13 years is the right one.

UpForce

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
I'm putting the new

platform through its paces here ... at the moment the site loads fast, no problems there. Read/unread status indeed seemed incorrectly marked so after a while just decided to mark all read instead of combing through every topic, no biggie there.

Some icons may not be loading correctly for me, there are box symbols in tool bars and some buttons. Moving the cursor over the box does reveal the function in writing if it isn't otherwise specified. Currently on a desktop, running Opera.

One thing I'm missing right away is the possibility to "jump to unread" straight from topic indexes. The first instance where said "jump" can currently be made seems to be from within the thread itself which seems convoluted compared to before.

But overall I'm not entirely flummoxed by anything and have mostly gotten my bearings in just a couple of minutes.

Michel Van

Reaction score
Nice job, Overscann
The site looks fantastic :cool:

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find a copy of Opera. I've tested it on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Internet Explorer. You could perhaps purge the file cache in Opera?

The boxes are likely FontAwesome icons not rendering correctly for some reason.

UpForce

Reaction score
I'll see if I can find a copy of Opera. I've tested it on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Internet Explorer. You could perhaps purge the file cache in Opera?

Ok, no rush though. I've got alternatives and even now no function is seriously impeded for me.

Graham1973

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to fix/resize my Avatar as it's not fully working with the new forum. I've also noticed that there does not seem to be a way to mark messages in a conversation 'read' without going through each and every message.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After marking all forums read, clicking the topic takes me to the last message. So that may be related to the read/unread status.

Kuno

Reaction score
Looks good to me. Thanks a lot for all the efforts taken by you "overscan"

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Kudos on the new platform, looks great! My other favorite forum (homebuiltairplanes.com) has also recently moved to Xenforo. A couple of quick questions:
  • I used to start every visit with the "new replies" section to see what been added to threads I started/participated in. That doesn't seem to be an option anymore. I see where I can pull up threads I've started or participated in, but not where to track just the new replies to those threads. Did I miss something?
  • I am one of those people who have had a different display name/login name. Where exactly can we change the single name in the new platform?
Cheers,

Matthew

Last edited:

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kudos on the new platform, looks great! My other favorite forum (homebuiltairplanes.com) has also recently moved to Xenforo. A couple of quick questions:
  • I used to start every visit with the "new replies" section to see what been added to threads I started/participated in. That doesn't seem to be an option anymore. I see where I can pull up threads I've started or participated in, but not where to track just the new replies to those threads. Did I miss something?
  • I am one of those people who have had a different display name/login name. Where exactly can we change the single name in the new platform?
Cheers,

Matthew
ChangeUsername.PNG
The change username option should be here in the profile.

Regarding the new replies, I'll take a look - I never used that functionality on the old forum. I used to just look at all recent posts....

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Works fine for me in latest Opera on Windows 10.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way - HUGE thanks to galgot for permission to use the Boeing SST render. It really looks great.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
I can no longer log in with my account name, but I can log in using my e-mail address. The important bit is I can log in, so I do not mind.
Very much appreciated: the new feature that collapses quotes in replies. That means more readable threads.

All in all - well done.

Hobbes

Reaction score
When I hover over my user icon, I get some info including the number of messages I've created. This sits at 621 at the moment. That number surprised me a bit (I thought it'd be higher). When I click on that number a search is done, which does find about 600 messages, the oldest of which is from 2011. I've been a member since 2008 and I'm pretty sure I've posted before 2011.
There are threads going back to at least 2006 (in the Postwar Aircraft section) so the import didn't cut off at 2011.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
I can no longer log in with my account name, but I can log in using my e-mail address.
Just found out changing my username also changes my account name. On the old site, username and account name were separate things.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can no longer log in with my account name, but I can log in using my e-mail address.
Just found out changing my username also changes my account name. On the old site, username and account name were separate things.
Yep, I did say that in the first post. Xenforo only has one field here so I can't alter this behaviour.

Archibald

Reaction score
FRESH - that's the world. Couloured might be another. I like it !

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I hover over my user icon, I get some info including the number of messages I've created. This sits at 621 at the moment. That number surprised me a bit (I thought it'd be higher). When I click on that number a search is done, which does find about 600 messages, the oldest of which is from 2011. I've been a member since 2008 and I'm pretty sure I've posted before 2011.
There are threads going back to at least 2006 (in the Postwar Aircraft section) so the import didn't cut off at 2011.
If you changed your name at some point, the count might be inaccurate - it might not be finding posts under the old name. Other than that, not sure.

CNH

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The forum upgrade from SimpleMachines Forum (SMF) to Xenforo has been completed.

Some points to note about the migration:
  • I have used a relatively low-specced Virtual Server to reduce costs during testing and migration. I have some detailed application performance monitoring in place to see if I need to upgrade to a more expensive server for better speed, but I won't know until I get a proper load of users accessing the site. If things seem slow, please do post your experiences.
  • SMF used to have both logon name and display name. Xenforo only has one name, which means some people may find the name they see on their posts is their logon name. You can change your logon name if desired to the name you want to see on your posts.
  • Individual posts no longer have their own title. This is a limitation / feature in Xenforo.
  • All private messages should be ported over, but they may not be correctly marked as read / unread. If it isn't, you'll have to mark stuff as read.
  • Topic read/unread status might not be correct. If it isn't, you'll have to mark stuff as read.
  • Existing private messages are not threaded by topic, but just in strict date order. New conversations you have will be threaded by topic going forward.
  • A small number of attachments could not be migrated over due to filename incompatibilities. These kind of worked on the old forum but they didn't display filenames properly. The converter could not import these correctly. The vast majority, more than 141,000 images did migrate correctly, and I do have copies of all attachments from the old forum so it is possible to recover these manually in dire emergency.
  • IF you don't have access to something you think you used to have access to, let me know so I can fix it.
Is the a 'New Unread Posts' option as there was before?

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Hi Overscan, looks great and thanks for putting in all this work to make it happen.

I too have lost Senior status.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please note I am on holiday for the next week, so responses might not be instant.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Job well done Overscan, no issues to report so far from me. Enjoy your holiday you will need it.

RaspingLeech

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The new forum looks great! The only feature I really miss is the ability to view all posts in a thread at once. Is it still possible or does the new design not have that feature?

thefrecklepuny

Reaction score
Looking good! The old forum was good. The replacement looks 'cleaner' and 'fresher' without taking anything away.

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Surfing the new forum with Apple Safari. Looks and works excellent!