Focke-Wulf swept-wing pusher fighter with contra-rotating propellers

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi!
Someone please show me the name of this aircraft.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 1,530
Thanks Jens!
This drawing is from Japanese AIR WORLD magazine, special edition in February 1986, J&P NO.1 Gekko and Phantom.
Accoring to this book, this fighter was Focke Wulf design.
" 0310 025.-509" is Focke Wulf's drawing number.
Perhaps this fighter did not have a name!?

Attachments

• Focke Wullf pusher fighter.jpg
    Focke Wullf pusher fighter.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,362
You're right, sorry, I got it wrong ! :-[
The Do P.247 was a low wing, the Fw a mid wing aircraft. Still yet, I knew the Fw as a mixed
propulsion fighter, but there may have been projects for piston engined types, too.
Couldn't find another designation, than those drawing numbers still yet, nevertheless.
(Drawing from Aerokurier 3/1965)

Attachments

• FW_AW_mixed_propulsion_fighter.jpg
    FW_AW_mixed_propulsion_fighter.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,207
Many thanks Jens! I have a chart for this project.
高性能 = high performance, 戦闘機 = fighter, 全天候 = all weather, 付 = install, 推進式 = pusher type, 翅 = propeller blade,
反転 = contra rotating, プロペラ = propeller, 座 = seat, 水平尾翼 = horizontal tail stabilizer, 前進角 = forward swept angle,
暫定案 = tentative plan
b is wing span? L is overall length? What is F? Wing area? 

Attachments

• Development flow.jpg
    Development flow.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,195
Very interesting design. I changed the topic's name until a proper designation emerges (if ever).

Many thanks Star as usual. :)
Maximum speed : 815km/h! :eek:

Attachments

• cooling system.jpg
    cooling system.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 363
  • Specification.jpg
    Specification.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 925
I think this Focke Wulf pusher fighter need forced cooling fan especially at engine ground test same as attached fighter, but I can't find forced cooling fan in design drawings. :-[

Attachments

• ñ 002.jpg
    ñ 002.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 315
Blackkite, both your aircraft, and the subject of this thread, are powered by liquid-cooled engines (Jumo 222, and BMW 803).
See my images below for the location of the radiators, cooling fan (not fitted to the 'unknown' aircraft), and the air inlets.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Picture 1 - EDIT.png
    Picture 1 - EDIT.png
    787.9 KB · Views: 281
  • ñ 002 - EDIT.png
    ñ 002 - EDIT.png
    936.4 KB · Views: 276
The pusher prop/twin boom is said by Novarra in "Die Deutsche Luftrüstung 1939 - 45" maybe to be a parallel design
to the jet fighter design VII ("Flitzer"), buthere, too, no type/project number is given.
And it said to have been the starting point for the French "Sud-Ouest SO.8000 Narval naval fighter.

Jemiba said:
And it said to have been the starting point for the French "Sud-Ouest SO.8000 Narval naval fighter.

Certainly looks it! Thanks for the info.

robunos said:
Blackkite, both your aircraft, and the subject of this thread, are powered by liquid-cooled engines (Jumo 222, and BMW 803).
See my images below for the location of the radiators, cooling fan (not fitted to the 'unknown' aircraft), and the air inlets.

cheers,
Robin.
Many thanks Robin!
You did not see a forced cooling fan in unnamed fighter's drawings, too.
It's very strange design for me. Don't you think so?
Or strong propeller stream induced adequate air flow to the air intake at engine ground test?
Or connected air duct to the air intake from external temporary fan at engine ground test?

Attachments

• FW unnamed fighter and Shinden.jpg
    FW unnamed fighter and Shinden.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 289
  • same scale.jpg
    same scale.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 281
Jemiba said:
The pusher prop/twin boom is said by Novarra in "Die Deutsche Luftrüstung 1939 - 45" maybe to be a parallel design
to the jet fighter design VII ("Flitzer"), buthere, too, no type/project number is given.
Many thanks for nice information Jens. :)

blackkite said:

As Robunos already pointed out, the Focke Wulf would have been powered by a liquid cooled engine, whereas
the engine of the Shinden was air cooled, needing a much greater amount of cooling air. Just remember other
aircraft with liquid cooled engines, Bf 109, Spitfire or Mosquito. All had quite small cooling air intakes without
fans. And, as an example for a pusher prop, just have a look at the Saab 21. ;)

Jemiba said:
blackkite said:

As Robunos already pointed out, the Focke Wulf would have been powered by a liquid cooled engine, whereas
the engine of the Shinden was air cooled, needing a much greater amount of cooling air. Just remember other
aircraft with liquid cooled engines, Bf 109, Spitfire or Mosquito. All had quite small cooling air intakes without
fans. And, as an example for a pusher prop, just have a look at the Saab 21. ;)
Hi Jens! Please take care that radiators of Bf109, Spitfire and Mosquito were located just behind the propeller, cooled by strong propeller after stream even at zero speed ground engine test. In case of SAAB J21, radiator were located at near propeller.

Attachments

• spitfire.jpg
    spitfire.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Bf109.jpg
    Bf109.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 552
  • mosquito.jpg
    mosquito.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 517
  • saab_j_21-18651.jpg
    saab_j_21-18651.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 496
You're certainly right, that a prop in a "pull" configuration helps with cooling the radiatior of a
liquid cooled engine, so I should have restricted myself to pusher prop configurations. That's not
that easy, but after some search I would like to come up with three other aircraft in pusher configuration,
that, to my opinion, didn't had large cooling fans: Curtiss XP 55 Ascender, Bell YFM-1 Airacuda and the
Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster. For a liquid cooled engine, cooling is ensured by keeping the circulation of the coolant
running, mostly via a pump, as convection may help, but probably not enough. And I agree, that it often will
be more problematic, than for a conventional layout and AFAIK problems weren't uncommon in a pusher or
even a push/pull configuration, sometimes maybe solved by installation of a cooling fan, but I think, that it
wasn't generally designed that way from the start.
(Drawing from http://www.enginehistory.org/Propellers/Curtiss/XB-42Prop.shtml )

Attachments

• XB-42_01.jpg
    XB-42_01.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 483
Hi!
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/02/stuff_eng_detail_j21.htm

A total of 298 SAAB 21s were produced in five production batches. They served from 1946 to 1954.
Series aircraft were not without problems. Because of the propeller's placement, engine cooling proved to be inadequate, especially on the ground - a serious problem that was never really worked out.

Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster........Hmmmmmm..............

I believe that Ascender, Airacuda and Mixmaster had the same problem if they had no radiator fan.
Engine overheating is serious problem.
My small car also have a radiator fan. My car is pull type. ;D

Attachments

• Bell Airacuda.jpg
    Bell Airacuda.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Ascender.jpg
    Ascender.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 127
  • douglas_xb_42_mixmaster-46275[1].jpg
    douglas_xb_42_mixmaster-46275[1].jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 120
  • radiator.jpg
    radiator.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 575
Bonjour

There was at least 3 configurations of the twin booms Focke Wulf fighter :

Attachments

• F.jpg
    F.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 153
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 150
Thanks richard. :)
Source : RED SERIES GERMAN AIR PROJECT 1935-1945 vol.1 FIGHTERS by Marek Rys STRATUS Poland 2003 ISBN 83-916327-5-X

Attachments

• FW P.0310.025.1006.jpg
    FW P.0310.025.1006.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 192
  • FW another BMW803 fighter (1).jpg
    FW another BMW803 fighter (1).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 174
  • FW BMW803 fighter.jpg
    FW BMW803 fighter.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 189
  • FW Jumo222 fighter.jpg
    FW Jumo222 fighter.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 178
richard said:
Bonjour

Great find my dear Richard,

and what was it ?,I have three twin boom FW designs, P.0310.225,P.0310.251.13 or
P.011.001 fighters.

In the designs using the BMW 803, the cooling problem seems to have been adressed by placing the radiator
directly in the nose. And as an annular casing is used, I would suggest, that actually a fan should be used.
Cooling problems seem to have been quite familiar during this era, reading pilot reports, much emphasis was often
given to the handling of the cooling system and engine running on the ground and even taxying often seems to have
been limited, even for aircraft, with conventional layout.

BTW, sorry blackkite, had forgotten to answer your question from your post #4:
"F" generally means "Fläche" (area), so here wing area is meant, I think.

hesham said:
richard said:
Bonjour

Greta find my dear Richard,

and what was it ?,I have three twin boom FW designs, P.0310.225,P.0310.251.13 or
P.011.001 fighters.

Sorry , no name : only "Focke Wulf fighter with BMW 803" for the three ...

Thanks Jens! German is very hard to read for me. ;)

I can't read this document. ;D
Source : GEHEIMPROJEKTE DER LUFTWAFFE Jagdflugzeuge 1939-1945 Motor buch Verlag, ISBN 3-613-01631-1

Attachments

• AS413 fighter.jpg
    AS413 fighter.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 207
  • FW Argus AS413 fighter.jpg
    FW Argus AS413 fighter.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
Quite an interesting source !

"20.February 1945
For the concept of a high performance fighter with increased endurance, the design bureau of Prof. Tank
used the describedproject with a Jumo 222 E/F engine.
Two proposals are made: High performance fighter with Jumo 222 E/F and with Argus As 413, besides the engine
there are only few dimensional differences.

Propulsion:
1 Argus As 413 with 4000 hp take-off power, driving contra rotating props with 3.5 m diameter via a long shaft

Dimensions:
span 15.2 m, sweep angle 24 ° in 0.25 chord (?), wing area 42 sqm, aspect ration 5.5
length 15.350
height 4.7 m

Weights: NO DATA AVAILABLE
We can proceed on the assumption, that take-off weight would have been around 10 to 10.5 t

Performance : NO PERFORMANCE CALCULATIONS AVAILABLE
We can proceed on the assumption, that performance would have been somewhat better, than for the
high performance fighter with As 413 from 1. October 1944, with the exception of the endurance, which
would have been around 3 hours, using maximum cruising power at 10 km height.

Military equipment:
Armament:
1 MK 103 with 30 mm calibre in the nose
and 2 MK 103 with 30 mm calibre besides the cockpit.
"
This part seems to come directly from a contemporary document, please note the lack of performance and
weight data.
The next part certainly is a interpretation by the author and to my opinion a very good one:

"On condition that the time for development of the structure would have been normal and propulsion system
readily available, the German airforce could have get this aircraft maybe in 1948. Considering the quick development
of jet fighters, which in addition generally had a lighter and easier structure, even in 1944 the reason for such a
design must have been doubtful. For an interim timeframe, the improved Ta 152 could have taken the tasks for an
piston engine driven high performance fighter.
Nevertheless, for the reader, who is interested in aviation, these designs still have some kind of fascination, as they
marked the last stage of these developments, which stamped that era."

Excellent!
I thank you very much for your quick and gentle response. :)
4000hp!! :eek:

Please enjoy another drawing.

Attachments

• FW BMW803 fighter.jpg
    FW BMW803 fighter.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 175
Blackkite,

that is the book I had mentioned above. I own the German edition; my link should be the English version of the book.

Many thanks Basil! I'm trying to get the book.
I already have following books, but I don't have fighters. I am asking myself why? :-[

Attachments

• Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster - pusher contra-rotating props exper by HK Weiss.pdf
    576.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Mixmaster.jpg
    Mixmaster.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 709
  • cover 2.jpg
    cover 2.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 753
  • cover 1.jpg
    cover 1.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 828
A sad sight, nevertheless a good photo !
You may be right, perhaps I was to fixed on a large fan, driven directly by the engine, as in the
Shinden or maybe Fw 190, an installation as in your car could probably be used in an aircraft, too,
but would have to be bigger, heavier and just dead weight during flight.
Perhaps we should just go to the USAF Museum Dayton and have a look ...

Hi! Never mind.
To understand Mixmaster is very hard for me. I can't find cooling air outlet still now.
Perhaps these books will help us. ;)
Sorry off topic as usual. ;D

Attachments

• DOUGLAS XB-42 MIXMASTER COVER.jpg
    DOUGLAS XB-42 MIXMASTER COVER.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 588
  • another mixmaster book.jpg
    another mixmaster book.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 591
Oh thanks so much! I already ordered the first one.(cheap one) ;D

The Mixmasters' cooling radiators were in the wings. From 'Douglas Mixmasters', 'Aeroplane Monthly', September 1975.pp. 436-31.

"The chosen engines were Allison V-1710-125 vee twelves,each rated at 1725 hp, chosen because liquid-cooled engines with wing radiators seemed easier to install in the fuselage...In the inner wing leading edges were shallow inlets leading to triple ducts, the innermost serving the oval oil coolers and the outer pair the large engine coolant radiators, all exhausting at a suitable point on the upper surface at about 65 per cent chord."

See also the images in the Mixmaster topic;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8699.msg163123.html#msg163123

cheers,
Robin

Attachments

• douglas mixmaster 3-view.png
    douglas mixmaster 3-view.png
    474.4 KB · Views: 265
Thanks Robin! :D
How do you think about the existence of XB-42's radiator cooling fan?

Attachments

• xb-42-2.jpg
    xb-42-2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 247
Blackkite, I think you're right about the cooling air exit, and I've just found this, from Putnam's 'McDonnell Douglas' Volume 1, page 363;

"The laminar-flow wing with double slotted flaps housed the fuel tanks and the oil and coolant radiators which were fitted with ground cooling fans."

Later, on page 363-4, it says this; "...limited efficiency of the cooling ducts. Solutions...were found relatively quickly..."

I think these fans would have to have been driven electrically, and not directly off the engines.

cheers,
Robin.

Then it has been the same solution, as in our car, probably with the same nerving characteristic,
to produce a high whimpering sound, even when the engine is already shut down !
Thanks Robin !
And excuse me blackkite, I was wrong, you was right ! :(