Flamethrower projects

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Obviously excluding all systems which are merely an incendiary or thermobaric warhead on a rocket (I'm looking at you RPO-A).

Obviously systems like the Einstossflammenwerfer 46 are interesting concepts (for portability and disposability) - surely there must have been a variety of interesting projects. I'm certainly also a little curious as to what the apex of flamethrowers was (eg. in terms of range) before they fell out of fashion. So - interesting topic.

All those rockets are pathetic anyway compared to the US project to make a napalm artillery shell, to sink ships.
So how about an airborne flamethrower? In 1941 the US Chemical Warfare Service decided, for reasons of its own, to attempt an aircraft flamethrower. It was very conventional and didn’t work in ground tests when propeller wash blew out the flames. The concept was resurrected in late 1943 by the Army Air Forces to ignite enemy held jungle, buildings and supply dumps. A device the size and shape of a 4,000lb bomb was created, with a spray system in the rear similar to one used for toxic chemical spray tanks. It was tested from a B-25H and judged workable. However by this point ignition problems with air dropped napalm tanks had been partly resolved and such a system was judged better, the aerial flamethrower program was thus abandon in 1944.
The above is from Army Green Book 10-2 The Chemical Warfare Service: From Laboratory to Field

the aircraft flamethrower were also tested by The Third Reich RLM
index.php

but for instead for ground attacks, RLM try this for DEFENSE against enemy fighter !

Also Wehrmach try new fuel for flamethrower like Chlorine Trifluoride !
because its extremely toxic and burn every thing it touch, like the flamethrower and guy using it, so they drop that idea fast...

I'm certainly also a little curious as to what the apex of flamethrowers was
I bring you the OG Mudbone of flamethrowers!

And since you like the eintossflammenwerfer 446, here's it's cold war german counterpart

Some burny boi combination weapons that I think are super cool:
Behold! an excuse to introduce y'all to Jaegerplatoon if you're not already familiar. Also, one of my favorite WW2 weapon designs
It's soviet relative

The Lagonda and it's vehicles
Murica stuff

Some prototype flame tanks
Object 483, which has an article on russian wikipedia
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/af7fr8/object_483_%D0%BE%D1%825554_experimental_flamethrower_tank/

Basilisk, has a wiki article
Steam Tank
Pm-1
Schwerer-Flammpanzer auf Tiger I

Also some that were produced, but only in small numbers
E-7
KV-8
Flammpanzer 38t

Also, it was considered to put a flamethrower in a Jagdtiger hull, and the Maus was originally supposed to have one as part of it's armament, the info for this is on Tank Encyclopedia but I already closed the tab for that site so find it yourselves

Because the Sheridan needed to be even more flammable

And I know you said no rockets buuutttttt behold, a russian afv that's basically a modern flame tank, with a twist!
The twist is that you thought it would be the TOS-1
It has a baby brother: https://en.topwar.ru/100934-boevaya-mashina-ognemetchikov-bmo-1.html
Speaking of TOS-1, some future plans:

Some old school flame weapons from the german wiki that y'all should see, bc they can be loosely tied to the thread and are awesome:

One last piece of incendiary goodness: An awesome video about an awesome weapon from an awesome yt channel.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07TOpjZmnM0

Last edited:
Hi,guys.Do any of you know this tank?I guess not many people know this flame-tank.
1690175973846.jpeg 1690176014793.jpeg 1690176032409.jpeg

IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS,PLZ reply to me.

Vielen Danke!

I would argue that the ultimate flamethrower was the OT-34, a basic T-34 (either 76mm or 85mm gun armed were built) with the hull MG replaced by a flamethrower. Flame projector pipes ran outside the armor under a separate armored cover, so there was little chance of it causing the tank to burn up.