Fixed/land based Blowpipe system

Roland55

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Ive seen the Blowpipe in its original configuration the one mounted on land rovers (as well as the submarine one), but this..? its a bit unusual!
Could be just a concept/proposal, or even a prototype?

Captura_de_pantalla_2022-01-13_a_las_16.27.04.png

The image was taken out of the MACH 1 magazine, where an article detailed the operation of the missile and some of its characteristics (but from the missile alone, not this...towed thing)

starviking

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Nice find!

Can’t see any optronics or radar there. I’m assuming the housing on the left of the traversable mounting largely contains motors to move the mounting and elevate the missiles - so some off-trailer guidance?

By the way, what’s the date of the magazine?

Roland55

Reaction score
Nice find!

Can’t see any optronics or radar there. I’m assuming the housing on the left of the traversable mounting largely contains motors to move the mounting and elevate the missiles - so some off-trailer guidance?

By the way, what’s the date of the magazine?
Considering that the Blowpipe were manually guided...im asuming there could be someone with an optic or a joystick controlling it?

The magazine is from 1982 (or 83).

Dilandu

I'm dissatisfied, which means, I exist.
Reaction score
Website
fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
Considering that the Blowpipe were manually guided...im asuming there could be someone with an optic or a joystick controlling it?
In theory, it wouldn't be too hard to create semi-automatic guidance for trailer-based Blowpipe; operator tracked target with optical sight, and control system track the missile flare with photocells around the sight, automatically holding missile on the line-of-sight.

Roland55

Reaction score
In theory, it wouldn't be too hard to create semi-automatic guidance for trailer-based Blowpipe; operator tracked target with optical sight, and control system track the missile flare with photocells around the sight, automatically holding missile on the line-of-sight.
That was actually done with the Javelin (but required a man to hold it or aim with it). Still pretty interesting to see the blowpipe in that config, a bit similar to the one used in the TigerCat or Rapier. (i guess why something like that would be a bit redundant)