Fiat G55Z

Giovanni

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
here a sketch about a possible Fiat G55 Z, with an Isotta Fraschini Z RC 40 engine. As a reference I made a puzzle with different drawings from Ali d'Italia , changing only some details.
G55Z.jpg

Ciao
Giovanni

Good work, but as this is an hypothetical reconstruction, probably it must be posted in the theoretical and hypothetical section. What do members think ?

interesting drawing,
Are you sure was speculative ?
::)
http://www.aerei-italiani.net/SchedeT/aereog55.html

Tophe said:
Then, could you make a G-55ZZ Zwilling (Twin) version of it? ::)

Do you mean the famous G-58Z ? May be ... first I have to find the profile drawings about the G58 standard I had and now I cannot find on my archive ... a G58Z is really interesting and full speculative ! ;D

About how is speculative the G55Z ? I don't know. I read about this version/project only some days ago, while searching materials for the FIAT G-61 and it was reported on a project list on italian magazine Aerei ( June 1976 ):
ProgettiGabrielli.jpg

Is it speculative less or more than a Re 2004 ? Same engine, anyway the RE 2004 had an order for two prototypes and there were pictures of the SM 79 engine installation studies, while about the G55Z I think we have only list of the version reporterd on magazine and no contracts, drawings from FIAT and so on ... that may be make the G55 more speculative ...
Anyway I like the shape a G55Z could have ...
Ciao
Giovanni

Very nice Giovanni. One comment though. The I-F Zeta was an air-cooled engine so no radiator bath required ;)

Attachments

• fiat-g55z-speculative.jpg
    fiat-g55z-speculative.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 633
wow, really nice work Apophenia !
I change the profile in this way, manteining an air scoop under the wing, just because The Caproni F6Z had under the nose an air scoop, so the engine tested on SM 79. Was that air scoop for the overheating problem of the engine ? Or for what ?
G55Zm1copia.jpg

F6Z_5.jpg

re2004f2.png

So even the RE 2004 profile needs to be changed ... no radiator bath ...
images

I love this place ! :D

Ciao

Good call Giovanni. I suspect that this under-nose scoop on the F.6MZ and SM.79 testbed was for an oil cooler.

Giovanni said:
Tophe said:

Do you mean the famous G-58Z ? May be ... first I have to find the profile drawings about the G58 standard I had and now I cannot find on my archive ... a G58Z is really interesting and full speculative ! ;D

About how is speculative the G55Z ? I don't know. I read about this version/project only some days ago, while searching materials for the FIAT G-61 and it was reported on a project list on italian magazine Aerei ( June 1976 ):
ProgettiGabrielli.jpg

Is it speculative less or more than a Re 2004 ? Same engine, anyway the RE 2004 had an order for two prototypes and there were pictures of the SM 79 engine installation studies, while about the G55Z I think we have only list of the version reporterd on magazine and no contracts, drawings from FIAT and so on ... that may be make the G55 more speculative ...
Ciao
Giovanni
Good work Giovanni , i am not on mistake, the article was re-proposed on Aerei nella Storia .

Giovanni said:
Tophe said:

ProgettiGabrielli.jpg

Ciao
Giovanni
Next year (2015) will "bash" a 1/72 LF Reggiane 205 & Caproni-Vizzola F.6Z to make the not built Reggiane 2004 Isott-Fraschini Zeta to round out my collection of prop Reggiane 2000-2006 series. I have the bogus RS 1/72 Reggiane 2007 model, that I'll build after building all my other Regia Aeronautica Italia kits.

Giovanni said:
wow, really nice work Apophenia !

[snip}

So even the RE 2004 profile needs to be changed ... no radiator bath ...
images

The duct under the Re2005 housed the oil cooler as well as the radiator bath. The air-cooled I.F. Zeta in the Re2004 would, if anything, require an even larger oil cooler. So it makes some sense that it would have been in a similar location, though perhaps in a narrower duct.

I attach my drawing of the aircraft.

Attachments

• Re2004-2.jpg
    Re2004-2.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 103
Retired In Kalifornia said:
Giovanni said:
Tophe said:

ProgettiGabrielli.jpg

Ciao
Giovanni
Next year (2015) will "bash" a 1/72 LF Reggiane 205 & Caproni-Vizzola F.6Z to make the not built Reggiane 2004 Isott-Fraschini Zeta to round out my collection of prop Reggiane 2000-2006 series. I have the bogus RS 1/72 Reggiane 2007 model, that I'll build after building all my other Regia Aeronautica Italia kits.
Back from "being away" for two years. Last summer 2016 DID complete the 1/72 LF Reggiane 2005 & Caproni-Vizzola F.6Z Isotta-Fraschini Zeta conversion, came out beautifully. Since 2014 completed three "what if" 1/72 FROG Macchi C.202 conversions with 12.7 mm Breda-SAFATs wing root positioned ala the single built Macchi C-205N-1 using Supermodel FIAT CR-32 parts for the 32ter version. From what I'd read sometime ago the Regia Aeronautica in 1942 specified 4 12.7 mm guns for "5" series fighters: FIAT G.55, Macchi C.205, Reggiane 2005 (surviving photos of the 2005 show cannons only) so "what if-ed" them years earlier to 1940 assuming the C.202 might had been built & flown soon after the FIAT A.74 radial C.200. Unfortunately I don't have any cameras so it'll be awhile till I can post pix of these.

Update 8/2/2018: Got a new Cell Phone with decent camera, here are photos:

dg0YDqm.jpg

GhyAjds.jpg

ekJBUvM.jpg

Giovanni said:
Tophe said:

ProgettiGabrielli.jpg

Ciao
Giovanni
Back from "being away" for two years. Last summer 2016 DID complete the 1/72 LF Reggiane 2005 & Caproni-Vizzola F.6Z Isotta-Fraschini Zeta conversion, came out beautifully. Since 2014 completed three "what if" 1/72 FROG Macchi C.202 conversions with 12.7 mm Breda-SAFATs wing root positioned ala the single built Macchi C-205N-1 using Supermodel FIAT CR-32 parts for the 32ter version. From what I'd read sometime ago the Regia Aeronautica in 1942 specified 4 12.7 mm guns for "5" series fighters: FIAT G.55, Macchi C.205, Reggiane 2005 (surviving photos of the 2005 show cannons only) so "what if-ed" them years earlier to 1940 assuming the C.202 might had been built & flown soon after the FIAT A.74 radial C.200. Unfortunately I don't have any cameras so it'll be awhile till I can post pix of these.
Forgot to mention; I'd painted the 4-gun C.202s with Italian flag tricolor tails ala the C.202 prototype before camouflage was applied.