Fiat 7005 compound helicopter project......

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is a picture of the Fiat 7005 compound helicopter. I believe this remained a "project" and was never built; rotor torque was counteracted by the efflux from the pusher propellor acting on vertical vanes in the biplane tail-unit, and this tail unit could rotate to direct thrust......

The picture comes from the 1st April 1965 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

You're quite right, it remained a project. I quote from the vstol.org paper about Italian designs:
"Fiat, which had flown its 7002 reaction rotor helicopter in 1961, also had a design for a compound rotorcraft,
called the 7005. This work was also a result of the work Fiat had done with Sud Aviation in the design and
manufacture of transmission gears for the Super Frelon helicopter. As a result of this cooperation, Fiat started
to design its own high-speed helicopter. This three-seater used a streamlined fuselage and a pusher
propeller, blowing over a cascade of vanes at the rear of the fuselage for counter-torque and yaw vectoring.
Note that the vanes could vector 37º and the vane box could pivot a further 33º in order to vector the efflux
a total of 70º. The Allison 250 turboshaft engine powered both the three-blade main rotor and the four-blade
variable pitch propeller.The 7005 fuselage was 7.92 m. Rotor diameter was 8.4 m and the propeller was 1.2 m.
Total height was 2.6 m. The landing gear retracted into blisters to minimize drag."

Attachments

• Fiat_7005.GIF
    Fiat_7005.GIF
    78.1 KB · Views: 207
Drawing artist

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 179
...about FIAT Aviazione 7005 project, I found a couple of more detailed section views (dated 1965) I enclose
Nico

Attachments

• FIAT 7005.jpg
    FIAT 7005.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 168
Please read this strange Info ?!,

At the time, the aviation world was (moderately) intrigued by the fact that, for its first helicopter, Fiat jumped to project number 7002! We still ignore why Fiat 7001 missed the record indeed?
As the undeserved dust of time has faded away the Fiat 7005 at last, it's evident now that, four decades ago, the famous Turin car manufactures considered a certain number of original helicopter projects.
In the higher interest of a complete interpretation of the aviation history, we sincerely hope more information will be soon available about the entire Fiat helicopter dynasty. The mysterious Fiat 7001, the Fiat 7003-7004 inevitable aftermath duo and, possibly, Fiat 7006 and successive models still wait their deserved resurrection from the archives.