Farman F.455 Moustique III/Super Moustique

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
The Farman Moustique series of aircraft built in small numbers from 1919 to 1936 were very interesting early efforts to create what today we call ultralight or microlight aircraft. All were wire-braced shoulder-wing monoplanes of modest weight and power. The only one to have any real success was the F.451 built in modest numbers for the Aviation Populaire program. The one the interests me most, however, is the last one built and the only two-seater, the F.455 Moustique III or Super Moustique. The one and only example, F-AYOL, hangs today in the Musée de l’Air et de l’Espace at Le Bourget outside Paris.

26196d1377377808-interest-modern-incarnation-farman-f-455-moustique-farman-f455-moustique-iii.jpg

Here are some more nice recent photos of F-AYOL.

I am trying to gather as much information as possible on this plane: a nice 3-view, clear detail photos and contemporary articles. The eventual goal is a modern, affordable, amateur-built, VW-powered microlight aircraft design inspired by the Moustique for fun flying, goggles and scarf and all. If anyone has anything they can share, please do post that material here.

Thanks!

Matthew

Hi,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farman_Moustique

The last Moustique development was the two seat F 455 Super Moustique, initially called the Moustique III, which first flew in 1936. Its span was increased by 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in) and it had a more powerful 35 hp (26 kW) Mangin 2 A-01 engine. Only one was built; its performance in the climb was poor, but in any case the light aircraft section of the Farman works was shut down when the company was nationalised in March 1937.[1]

For others with an interest in the Farman Moustique series of light planes, here is something new, though I apologize for the quality as these are cell phone camera photos of photos.

In the files at the Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace at Le Bourget, I found these apparently contemporary photos of a single-seat F.450 or F.451 Moustique with a modified empennage using an all-moving rudder and stabilator with full-span anti-servo flaps. One photo seems to suggest that the stabilator halves could move differentially as "tailerons" but it may just be that only one side was hooked up when the photos were taken. Does anyone know more?

Cheers,

Matthew

Attachments

• modified moustique 1.jpg
    modified moustique 1.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 259
  • modified moustique 2.jpg
    modified moustique 2.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 188
In a recent visit the Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace in Le Bourget, I was able to access the museums files on a few light planes. With apologies for the quality as I did not have a scanner, so this is a scan of a photocopy, and light blue and black on white printing did not copy well, here is the original Farman factory brochure for the F.455, later known as the Super Moustique. The artist's conception from the brochure separately is quite nice and shows some differences from the actual plane, notably two separate windscreens instead of the single windscreen of the sole prototype in Le Bourget. Perhaps a modification after the first test flights proved too "refreshing?" Here, too, are a few recent pics of the F.455 from visit. Cheers, Matthew

Attachments

• farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 3.jpg
    farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 3.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 25
  • farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 2.jpg
    farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 26
  • farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 1.jpg
    farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Farman F455 factory brochure - p4.jpg
    Farman F455 factory brochure - p4.jpg